In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Lets be fair, we've all been on school coach trips, the driver was probably in the right. :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ced3z8kx9eqo
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:06 pm Lets be fair, we've all been on school coach trips, the driver was probably in the right. :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ced3z8kx9eqo
So basically, the kids were being arseholes and the 7 (!) teachers did fuck all about it, letting them smoke and fuck around.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:43 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm It has made me think about starting to carry cash again...
Except virtually all shops have an online computerised till system :D Well, all the supermarkets and that sort of a thing.

You could probably still get a haircut :thumbup:
You're too corporate for me. I tend to shop in small local shops and markets and they'll take cash for sure!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:12 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm It has made me think about starting to carry cash again...
Except virtually all shops have an online computerised till system :D Well, all the supermarkets and that sort of a thing.

You're too corporate for me. I tend to shop in small local shops and markets and they'll take cash for sure!
Fuck off, you're Temu's best U.K. customer. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:12 pm You're too corporate for me. I tend to shop in small local shops and markets and they'll take cash for sure!
round these parts the small independents are the least likely to take cash :lol: Loads and loads of shops are card only, normally driven off an iPad.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:19 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:12 pm

Fuck off, you're Temu's best U.K. customer. :lol:
Rumbled! :oops:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:20 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:12 pm You're too corporate for me. I tend to shop in small local shops and markets and they'll take cash for sure!
round these parts the small independents are the least likely to take cash :lol: Loads and loads of shops are card only, normally driven off an iPad.
I was really surprised and a bit shocked when in Weymouth in April that, when we stopped for a coffee and a cake, they wouldn't take cash!!

Given the costs of taking cards, I can only think that they don't have enough faith/trust in their staff to allow them to handle actual money??!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Banks charge for cash going in and out of business accounts. Then there's the time taken to cash up and go to the bank, assuming there's a branch closish by. For food places hygiene might be a consideration, cash being notoriously dirty, in the physical sense
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:58 pm Banks charge for cash going in and out of business accounts. Then there's the time taken to cash up and go to the bank, assuming there's a branch closish by. For food places hygiene might be a consideration, cash being notoriously dirty, in the physical sense
I do kinda get that, but card charges are quite high if you take lots of small payments, surely?

There's a boulangerie I used in Albertville that have a machine that you put the cash into and it gives the change - totally solves the hygiene issue. But it is quite a big place, so I guess it was worth it to them over smaller places.

Also - small businesses in France do prefer cash :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I think they used to be before the tablet based readers came along. The newer internet based banks also helped from what I've heard, an good target market.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:05 pm that have a machine that you put the cash into and it gives the change
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:58 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:05 pm that have a machine that you put the cash into and it gives the change
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but this one is automated and doesn't bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:17 pm I think they used to be before the tablet based readers came along. The newer internet based banks also helped from what I've heard, an good target market.
If you have a card reader as a business, the operator of the card reader takes a %age from each transaction. Which, if you operate in coffees rather than, say, tourist transfers, adds up very quickly on a small turnover

Even on a transfer business, my boss changed the provider half way through the first winter due to huge charges that took fairly significant amounts from each transaction
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The cost of card payments isn't that high...less than 2%, closer to 1.5% in some examples.

Not having to deal with physical money is probably worth quite a lot to many people!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:06 pm The cost of card payments isn't that high...less than 2%, closer to 1.5% in some examples.

Not having to deal with physical money is probably worth quite a lot to many people!
It's not 'that' high until you are mostly selling coffees at a coupe of €'s each. For a small business I believe it adds up pretty damned quickly and becomes a fair chunk

Equally, 1.5-2% on a transaction of 500€ + isn't offensive - until it's on 90% of the transactions over 5 months on 15 vehicles!!

For providing a machine to facilitate customer payments.

I know I'd prefer to be on the side of the provider than the small business owner!!!

(Which is why I will always try and pay cash to small businesses - much less worried in supermarkets etc. But a few mates have small businesses out here, and it helps them to pay cash and not card)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Percentage is percentage surely...2% of 500 €1 transactions (500 lots of 2c, €10) is the same amount of 2% of one €500 transaction (1 lot of €10).

Typical business account cash handling charge is also 1-2%.
Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:10 pm For providing a machine to facilitate customer payments.
Well yeah that's the thing right? If you want customers to spend money, make it easy :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cash handling isn't such a burden for small outfits but it's a cost/pain in the bum for the big ones. A side benefit of cashless for both is reduced opportunities to put a hand in the till (although some supermarkets would dock any shortfall from an employees wages).

Royal Mail used to have a quite profitable bit called Cashco that would securely collect, sort, store and deliver cash to businesses inc NatWest. They sold it to Securicor. Not looking such a great investment now.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:14 pm Percentage is percentage surely...2% of 500 €1 transactions (500 lots of 2c, €10) is the same amount of 2% of one €500 transaction (1 lot of €10).

Typical business account cash handling charge is also 1-2%.
Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:10 pm For providing a machine to facilitate customer payments.
Well yeah that's the thing right? If you want customers to spend money, make it easy :D
I know. But we are looking from opposite sides, or you are just using the spoon!! Having had a relatively small business and had to pay those 1.5-2% charges it adds up pretty fast. A bigger company can swallow them easier, price to accommodate them etc. A smaller business with the items being a lot less value has less opportunity to price for it or to swallow the charges.

But hey - I live on a mountain and try to use cash because of how I see the businesses near me. You guys live in towns cities and prefer cards. Never gonna agree/meet int he middle on this one :obscene-drinkingcheers:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Can I be contrary please? I'm probably further away from a town/city than most of you and I much prefer cashless. I always carry cash too, but that's another matter.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:05 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:58 pm Banks charge for cash going in and out of business accounts. Then there's the time taken to cash up and go to the bank, assuming there's a branch closish by. For food places hygiene might be a consideration, cash being notoriously dirty, in the physical sense
I do kinda get that, but card charges are quite high if you take lots of small payments, surely?

There's a boulangerie I used in Albertville that have a machine that you put the cash into and it gives the change - totally solves the hygiene issue. But it is quite a big place, so I guess it was worth it to them over smaller places.

Also - small businesses in France do prefer cash :D
The charges for handling cash (not inc time/risk etc) are higher than card charges these days.