What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Felix

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:01 pm My other car is grey and a Volvo, it couldn't be any less hairdresser.
I liked my V50. Peugeot diesel and went like shit of a shovel. It was just a shitter to keep me working when my van engine blew up but i would have another Volvo. I even had these on the sides what gave it another 2bhp

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bit of a shit day really. Long story short, couldn't get in conatact with my Stap Dad so went round there and opened the door to find him looking purple and presumed dead. Turned out he wasn't dead but had been there for around 12 hours. 999 rang and ambo turned up and eventually took him away to local hell hole of a hospital. They dont answer the phone, despite hanging on for ages, so will go up there tomorrow morning to see if he's in a car park, corridor, a&e or maybe even a ward? So I'm busting out some wine for now. Expect bollocks from me if I stay on here... :?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Damn Pietin, that's not a good day by any means.

Mine went like this: 08:30 lights out via general anethestic, lights, camera, laser, kidney stone grabbing gizmo. Wake up in recovery with full blown renal colic. More drugs than MJ and Prince could handle and finally the pain eases. 12:45 back in the room, no idea what I'm doing. 14:30, you can go home, even though it's an over night stay for obs.

That's private hospitals for you.

Next up the other side. One man rockery. I'm going to ask for some Alpines to be added next time. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:15 pm Bit of a shit day really. Long story short, couldn't get in conatact with my Stap Dad so went round there and opened the door to find him looking purple and presumed dead. Turned out he wasn't dead but had been there for around 12 hours. 999 rang and ambo turned up and eventually took him away to local hell hole of a hospital. They dont answer the phone, despite hanging on for ages, so will go up there tomorrow morning to see if he's in a car park, corridor, a&e or maybe even a ward? So I'm busting out some wine for now. Expect bollocks from me if I stay on here... :?
Ah mate, that sucks. All the best.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Thanks, but he's still above ground, so all good so far. In some ways I wish he wasn't. Old school Eastender, a docker, from a longline of dockers, tank commander and radio operator, reduced to a decrepit weakling. :( It'll hit me when he goes, but for his sake, I hope its soon. Fecking hate the exit some folk get...
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:33 pm Thanks, but he's still above ground, so all good so far. In some ways I wish he wasn't. Old school Eastender, a docker, from a longline of dockers, tank commander and radio operator, reduced to a decrepit weakling. :( It'll hit me when he goes, but for his sake, I hope its soon. Fecking hate the exit some folk get...
I get that totally - my dad was still nicknamed 'Terminator Trevor' by my mates when he was in his mid-70s - the man had more stamina than your average 20-year-old 😎. He's now 82, and the difference is extreme - he's frustrated at how little energy he has 🫤
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Woke up from my usual post-lunch nap to find my face felt wet. Touched my face & discovered I was in the midst of a real gusher of a nose bleed.
I'm assuming it was caused by the AC which has been on for a few days...
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Trapped a scolopendra under a tupperware box, the next step is to get it out of the house and kill it. I probably won't be taking pictures of it so here's one from the Internet.

636mick

Post by 636mick »

Just googled that beastie. Poisonous as all hell it says. Kill it, it’s family, friends and work mates seems to be the way forward!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I locked the rear wheel, twice, before a corner :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:

Tis funny, I used to do that for fun, a lot! On al my bikes!! :lol: :lol:

Was a bit of a surprise today - complacency really, overtaking before a left hand bend that then turns into a right hand hairpin!! I got past, then I braked, back, then front, then dropped down a gear - wiggle !! :lol: Then, after the first wiggle, I dropped another gear and - wiggle!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made me grin and then giggle! But I got round the bend and the hairpin just fine! Think the last overtaken car was a smidge surprised, but, Fun!!

Not planning to do it again mind, not my bike etc, but it was very 'interesting' and a quite funny :angelic-green: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Collective worship at my Church school at 9am. Had a lovely time with the students. Headed home to take daughter for blood test, for her to be told they don't do "those tests" there, so she has to go back to the referring clinic some 25 miles away... Then I went out to the Hoo Peninsula and took a service in a home for a traveller family where their dad/husband was lying in state. Quite gentle service and funeral is tomorrow. I'll probably go back and say prayers for the interment of ashes as well. They are RC and I'm CofE and it made no difference at all, prayers are prayers. Home to collect wife, walk dog and cook dinner. She is in the process of doing lots of school reports.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Mowed the lawns today, failed to notice the HUMONGOUS stinging nettle tree sticking out from the hedge........until I drove through it ......in my shorts.
Must have words with the gardener!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Going down the hill to the 90210, may drop by the tasty car shop to have a look at the Pagani...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The 20 year old (German, natch) Viessmann boiler in the Stafford house gave up the ghost a month or so ago and a new (Dutch) Intergas boiler now sits in its place. During the install the Gas Safe guy found that the pressure drop from meter to boiler was excessive and so all the 22mm supply pipe work had to be replaced by 28mm. It's taken 7 x 3 metre lengths of 28mm pipe to do the job at a cost of approx £10.50 per metre. You do the math, as they say.

So assuming the pressure drop is now withn spec, we'll have heating and hot water available again.

On what will probably be the hottest day of the year so far...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:57 am The 20 year old (German, natch) Viessmann boiler in the Stafford house gave up the ghost a month or so ago and a new (Dutch) Intergas boiler now sits in its place. During the install the Gas Safe guy found that the pressure drop from meter to boiler was excessive and so all the 22mm supply pipe work had to be replaced by 28mm. It's taken 7 x 3 metre lengths of 28mm pipe to do the job at a cost of approx £10.50 per metre. You do the math, as they say.

So assuming the pressure drop is now withn spec, we'll have heating and hot water available again.

When the chap came to price our new boiler he said we needed bigger pipe from the meter and added the cost to the quote. (It would be a pain as the meter is as far from the boiler as it could be so they'd have to go up and through the loft).

The fitter checked the diameter and the pressure drop along the supply, did a :roll: and said 'Nonsense'.

There's a YouTube out there from a boiler supply/fit company that says you should never replace the pipework until you've measured the flow/pressure drop and checked out what else is on the supply. It seems to be another of those 'add it into the quote anyway' things.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:08 am
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:57 am The 20 year old (German, natch) Viessmann boiler in the Stafford house gave up the ghost a month or so ago and a new (Dutch) Intergas boiler now sits in its place. During the install the Gas Safe guy found that the pressure drop from meter to boiler was excessive and so all the 22mm supply pipe work had to be replaced by 28mm. It's taken 7 x 3 metre lengths of 28mm pipe to do the job at a cost of approx £10.50 per metre. You do the math, as they say.

When the chap came to price our new boiler he said we needed bigger pipe from the meter and added the cost to the quote. (It would be a pain as the meter is as far from the boiler as it could be so they'd have to go up and through the loft).

The fitter checked the diameter and the pressure drop along the supply, did a :roll: and said 'Nonsense'.

There's a YouTube out there from a boiler supply/fit company that says you should never replace the pipework until you've measured the flow/pressure drop and checked out what else is on the supply. It seems to be another of those 'add it into the quote anyway' things.
I'm pretty sure that it's a legit issue in our case. The house is a large early 1900s end terrace, so is long and narrow. The meter is right at the front of the house (in the cellar) and the boiler is three quarters of the way back, so nearly 20 metres in a direct line.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:16 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:08 am

I'm pretty sure that it's a legit issue in our case. The house is a large early 1900s end terrace, so is long and narrow. The meter is right at the front of the house (in the cellar) and the boiler is three quarters of the way back, so nearly 20 metres in a direct line.
Yup. As you pointed out they measured the pressure drop. It was really just in case anyone else was in the same boat. I think modern boilers draw an awful lot on start up so I guess there's a possibility of flame-out, particularly if other stuff like oven/hob are in use.

(Our supply from the meter is buried in the floor so it would mean a complete reroute).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:22 am Yup. As you pointed out they measured the pressure drop. It was really just in case anyone else was in the same boat. I think modern boilers draw an awful lot on start up so I guess there's a possibility of flame-out, particularly if other stuff like oven/hob are in use.

(Our supply from the meter is buried in the floor so it would mean a complete reroute).
Yes, it's a 40kw boiler and there is also a gas hob to feed, so good flow pressure is essential.

The good news is that the pressure drop is now within spec and the install can be signed off.

So all that remains is to play some white boy reggae/soul in the shape of Robert Palmer and Pressure Drop

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Given a presentation on Intraday Liquidity.

Nobody fell asleep.

Win. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:15 pm Given a presentation on Intraday Liquidity.

Nobody fell asleep.
Did anyone turn up?