This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Slenver

Re: This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Post by Slenver »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:30 pm
Slenver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:25 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:47 pm The "conspiracy theorist" idiotic response is becoming a little boring now
Imagine having to listen to it.
You are such a wingeing little prick aren't you. If you don't have anything to say except "CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!" you really have nothing to say at all.

So be a good little troll and just fuck off.
I have plenty to say. And you reply every time with either childish nonsense or insults. Perhaps you should spend a little time away from here, it's clearly not doing you any good at all.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:53 pm Also some 'confusion' in that those attending an event centred on a person supported by the NRA weren't allowed to bring guns.
SOP around the POTUS. When previous Presidents appeared on Leno's show all the staff are vetted, some were told not to show up at work on the day. I would imagine this is SOP for all chat shows etc.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

gremlin wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:54 pm It would appear that history is about to repeat itself in our own little microcosm, only with the name changed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jenkins%27_Ear
Does that mean it will all kick off in 2031? I would imagine Biden will be dead and Trump will be a drooling idiot by then. Soo, not much different from now, no?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:30 pm
Slenver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:25 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:47 pm The "conspiracy theorist" idiotic response is becoming a little boring now
Imagine having to listen to it.
You are such a wingeing little prick aren't you. If you don't have anything to say except "CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!" you really have nothing to say at all.

So be a good little troll and just fuck off.
Screwdriver gets a 7 day holiday for this post...You know the rules by now guys.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I wonder if we should lock this thread, as it’s descended into insults.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Sometimes... but sometimes i hope you lot are going to be grown ups :)

I don't want to over-moderate this place if i can help it, after all, we're adults, we're allowed to swear on here, we're allowed most opinions and only a few subjects are ever moderated. So i'm letting it run as clearly it's a pretty important discussion topic in the world right now. But of course if it keeps going nuts it will be closed.

With Screwd banned for a week i'm hoping that people can keep it sensible. I do feel a bit of sympathy as the guy feels he's being picked on. But rules are rules, you call people names, you get a holiday, it's that simple.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A thoughtful piece here. The comments on democracy and how polarisation is, potentially, the end of it suggests that the future isn't particularly bright.

https://theconversation.com/one-inch-fr ... 0democracy

(4 out of 45 sitting US presidents have been assassinated* and attempts made on others and candidates have been killed and wounded. So it's not totally unexpected tbh).

*Everyone knows Lincoln and Kennedy. How many know the other 2?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:49 am A thoughtful piece here. The comments on democracy and how polarisation is, potentially, the end of it suggests that the future isn't particularly bright.

https://theconversation.com/one-inch-fr ... 0democracy

(4 out of 45 sitting US presidents have been assassinated* and attempts made on others and candidates have been killed and wounded. So it's not totally unexpected tbh).

I knew Garfield without Google but McKinley was the other one.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I knew about Garfield via the old BBC series Local Heroes. Something to do with early metal detector technology being used to try and find the bullet in him, but being confused by the springs of his bed.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:49 am (4 out of 45 sitting US presidents have been assassinated* and attempts made on others and candidates have been killed and wounded. So it's not totally unexpected tbh).

TBH, I do sometimes think it's surprising how few US presidents are shot at. Not wishing to over-simplify or denigrate the States, but there's an enormous number of guns, an enormous amount of violence and, increasingly, a bitter, divided and polarised political arena.

Both trump and Biden are detested by several million people with several million guns between them, and a small but significant number of nutters amongst them.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Slenver wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:14 am
Count Steer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:49 am (4 out of 45 sitting US presidents have been assassinated* and attempts made on others and candidates have been killed and wounded. So it's not totally unexpected tbh).

TBH, I do sometimes think it's surprising how few US presidents are shot at. Not wishing to over-simplify or denigrate the States, but there's an enormous number of guns, an enormous amount of violence and, increasingly, a bitter, divided and polarised political arena.

Both trump and Biden are detested by several million people with several million guns between them, and a small but significant number of nutters amongst them.
TBH the gun fans are too busy shooting school children and neighbours. It’s easier!

Frighteningly politics (and just about every thing else) has become driven by ego centricity, self entitlement and a complete inability to believe that other people can see the world differently. Hence the polarised positions of both the right and the left. It doesn’t help with the rise of the ill educated morons who get there “facts” only from pages they actively select to read
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am...
It doesn’t help with the rise of the ill educated morons who get there “facts” only from pages they actively select to read
I think most people have always done that, not just the ill educated people. (You know, those people who don't know the difference between "there" and "their" :P )
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am Frighteningly politics (and just about every thing else) has become driven by ego centricity, self entitlement and a complete inability to believe that other people can see the world differently.
I've posted it before, but for me this column has pretty good nail/head interfaces.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:24 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:03 am No wonder he'll never become POTUS in this day and age.
Interesting article here in the Gruaniad about why people vote for peeps like Trump and indeed the source of some problems in politics today.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... republican
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:00 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am Frighteningly politics (and just about every thing else) has become driven by ego centricity, self entitlement and a complete inability to believe that other people can see the world differently.
I've posted it before, but for me this column has pretty good nail/head interfaces.
gremlin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:03 am No wonder he'll never become POTUS in this day and age.
Interesting article here in the Gruaniad about why people vote for peeps like Trump and indeed the source of some problems in politics today.

Hard to argue with any of that tbh
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Sums up MAGA perfectly, you put yourself first and screw everyone else unless they are 'worthy'. So you can be 'hardworking' and have 'values', and still be a total monster.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Yet another Guardian article that exemplifies the old saying: "The Guardian, wrong about everything, all the time". E.g. "...the American dream is a dream of acquiring wealth, spending it conspicuously and escaping the constraints of other people’s needs and demands." The American dream says nothing, absolutely nothing about acquiring wealth, let alone conspicuous spending. The American dream is "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". How George Moonbat can twist those words to mean acquiring wealth is beyond me.

But thanks for that. Whenever I'm in two minds about something and don't know which way to turn, it's nice to be able to see what The Guardian thinks... and go the other way.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:15 pm

Yet another Guardian article that exemplifies the old saying: "The Guardian, wrong about everything, all the time". E.g. "...the American dream is a dream of acquiring wealth, spending it conspicuously and escaping the constraints of other people’s needs and demands." The American dream says nothing, absolutely nothing about acquiring wealth, let alone conspicuous spending. The American dream is "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". How George Moonbat can twist those words to mean acquiring wealth is beyond me.

But thanks for that. Whenever I'm in two minds about something and don't know which way to turn, it's nice to be able to see what The Guardian thinks... and go the other way.
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are the proposed unalienable rights from the original Constitution.

"The American Dream" was a term coined in the 1930s and means a different thing depending on who and when you ask.

I wouldn't say they're mutually exclusive, but they are very different things. The "American Dream' has changed again and again and is more used as a political or advertising rallying call than anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_Lib ... _Happiness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream
non quod, sed quomodo
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:22 pm "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are the proposed unalienable rights from the original Constitution.

"The American Dream" was a term coined in the 1930s and means a different thing depending on who and when you ask.

I wouldn't say they're mutually exclusive, but they are very different things. The "American Dream' has changed again and again and is more used as a political or advertising rallying call than anything else.

Was just about to write something very similar... you can't misquote something that isn't a quote. The 'American Dream' is a vague, changeable ethos... but I would agree that it very much about attaining wealth amongst other things, yes.

You can agree or disagree with the Guardian article as it's an opinion, but you can't say it's objectively wrong.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Slenver wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:28 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:22 pm "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are the proposed unalienable rights from the original Constitution.

Was just about to write something very similar... you can't misquote something that isn't a quote. The 'American Dream' is a vague, changeable ethos... but I would agree that it very much about attaining wealth amongst other things, yes.

You can agree or disagree with the Guardian article as it's an opinion, but you can't say it's objectively wrong.
It's written by George Monbiot. Of course it's wrong.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:36 pm It's written by George Monbiot. Of course it's wrong.
As long as you keep that open mind, that's the main thing :)