Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by cheb »

I've seriously considered setting up the french porch as an temporary bookshop. Paperbacks are £1. hardbacks are £5. No new stock wanted, exchanges forbidden, anything left after 1 year gets binned.

I tried using paperbacks as fuel in the stove, lots of ash and not much heat.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:13 pm

Not Fahrenheit 451 then?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:25 pm I have 3 outlets for books. 2 boxes at a time usually gets ~£30 from We Buy Books,
Well, £2 for 5 books means it's some way to go for even their £5 minimum!

One of them is a hardback Pratchett graphic novel. S/h they going for £5-6. Astonishing. Although, I suppose his popularity means plenty available. Just as well I'm not trying to shift Dan Brown paperbacks :)

I'm considering moving on all of my Pratchetts. Most of the Discworld novels, most of them in hardback. Plus some 'science of', etc., Nation, and a couple of others. Might get to £5 ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Continuing scanning. Amazingly, offering £3 for one nondescript book 'Tingo'.

But the shocker, for me, is Stirling Moss, by Obert Edwards. Massive coffee table hardback, 350 pages. Not wanted by WBB.

£30 when published in 2001. £4.50 s/h
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

WBB can be v strange in their want/don't want algorithms. I don't think they can cope with some of the higher value but smaller market stuff but, on occasion I've gone 'Eh?' when something like a hardback travel book has gone '£7'*

Anything without an ISBN is forget it territory too.

Our Oxfam books lot are red hot on anything vaguely antiquarian though. They have a cabinet of stuff at £30+ which they also have out on the Web - at a slight premium.

I was going to gift them a hardback Frank Miller, Batman graphic novel but wife said 'Hang on' tappity-tappity-tap '£90, put it back on the shelf!'.

PS I picked up a Jasper Fforde book in Oxfam - he's supposed to be a bit Pratchetty.

* So I immediately get Googling of course. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:26 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:13 pm

Not Fahrenheit 451 then?

451 F is only about 230 Celcius - that's barely "warm" for a wood-burner
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:47 pm
I'm considering moving on all of my Pratchetts. Most of the Discworld novels, most of them in hardback. Plus some 'science of', etc., Nation, and a couple of others. Might get to £5 ...
If you do, let me know. I gave all mine to my SDad, not realising he didn't like the writing style. When he moved he charity shopped them all - just a few years before my nephew got into reading them :( :(

I'd love to have the collection again (with some luck I might live somewhere big enough to have a book shelf in the next few months!) - and could probably work out to pick them up in November or spring!! :mrgreen:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:05 pm
If you do, let me know. I gave all mine to my SDad, not realising he didn't like the writing style. When he moved he charity shopped them all - just a few years before my nephew got into reading them :( :(

I'd love to have the collection again (with some luck I might live somewhere big enough to have a book shelf in the next few months!) - and could probably work out to pick them up in November or spring!! :mrgreen:
If they're definitely going to someone who'll read them, I can possibly fill in any gaps. I might read them again at some point, but won't be for a while.
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:31 pm

If they're definitely going to someone who'll read them, I can possibly fill in any gaps. I might read them again at some point, but won't be for a while.
I read and reread the Pratchett books. I've some on my kindle for chilling whilst waiting for flights. But I do so love an actual book. I got the kindle simply because I didn't have space for the number of books I read :1 :1 :1

I'll let you both know if I get somewhere with space for a book shelf :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:34 pm

I read and reread the Pratchett books. I've some on my kindle for chilling whilst waiting for flights. But I do so love an actual book. I got the kindle simply because I didn't have space for the number of books I read :1 :1 :1

I've not decided yet what to do, but knowing they're going to an appreciative home would ease the guilt. I think Filly will be a bit disappointed if they go. For many years, the latest Discworld, in hardback, was a Xmas or Birthday present.

Might even have some of the kids' books (Diggers Truckers Wings?), there's Maurice, the ones set on the Downs, a Long Earth or two (to be honest, I didn't enjoy them), etc.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:47 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:34 pm

I've not decided yet what to do, but knowing they're going to an appreciative home would ease the guilt. I think Filly will be a bit disappointed if they go. For many years, the latest Discworld, in hardback, was a Xmas or Birthday present.

Might even have some of the kids' books (Diggers Truckers Wings?), there's Maurice, the ones set on the Downs, a Long Earth or two (to be honest, I didn't enjoy them), etc.
Totally understand Filly's possible disappointment. I was gutted when I found out mine had gone but I hadn't expected to have space to have them back, just liked knowing they were there!

I've read and liked most of his books, so would take the other ones too - I can't read 'properly' and how he writes just works for how I do read. I'm sure I have read some of the kids ones, and Maurice. Definitely read the ones with the young witch (that was discworld I think as the witches were in it too).

I'll shout when I have a place with space for the bookshelf and if you still want them to have a home, we'll work something out :D :D :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tiffany Aiken? Or summat
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:42 pm Tiffany Aiken? Or summat
That's her (or something like that!!)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I know that, like wasps, mosquitoes have a function in the world. But, FFS :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Why oh why do they always find me.

I got 'bitten' on my face the other day but luckily on my forehead and very close to the hairline. A few days before, I got three bites on my arm - they came up in 'lovely' marks :( :(

But yesterday was the jackpot - for the mozzie :( Just over my left eye and on the scar from headbutting the floor a few years ago :( :( So I now look like i've waked into a door - minus the colours!! Huge lump over my eyebrow :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can avoid wasps cos if I don't do the kungfootaichiwasp dance, they generally ignore me - but fucking bastards mosquitoes seek me out and I react pretty badly to their 'bites' :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

I rarely wish ill on living creatures, but mosquitoes might become the exception :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I could be used as mozzie bait. :( It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't react to them so badly. I ended one trip around eastern Turkey looking like the Elephant Man. The missus was quite happy as they ignored her 'cos my pheromones and blood were more attractive.

I was surprised, at first, to see shelves of anti-mozzie stuff in Brussels supermarkets - I found out why later. At certain times of year that's where they seem to go for their hollibobs! However, that's where I found out about the plug-in devices that have a little heater pad and a bottle of mozzie-cide screwed on top. Got a couple - one with a UK plug and one with a euro plug. Don't like using them overnight but an hour or two in the bedroom, with doors and windows closed, before bed seems to help. They also seem to congregate in bath/shower rooms so blatting them with mozzie-cide helps.

IIRC there's a theory that taking vitamin B helps to pevent bites and there are vitamin B patches available. Doesn't seem to have any scientific evidence to support it though.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The most effective household mozzie deterrent I've found is two highly strung cats :D

Mrs. D gets the swelling thing really badly, but it does vary with location - apparently that's not uncommon, sliight variation in mozzie spit proteins cause it.

She's got a little self imolating zapper thing which plugs into your phone which you scorch bites with as soon as you notice them, it seems to work! AFAIK it pretty much just cooks the proteins in the spit like egg whites. Could be total snake oil/placebo though.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Eating garlic and drinking gin is supposed to help as a deterrent too.

I'm not sure there's any science behind it, I imagine the rumour was started by someone who liked garlic bread and a G&T.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:43 am The most effective household mozzie deterrent I've found is two highly strung cats :D

Mrs. D gets the swelling thing really badly, but it does vary with location - apparently that's not uncommon, sliight variation in mozzie spit proteins cause it.

She's got a little self imolating zapper thing which plugs into your phone which you scorch bites with as soon as you notice them, it seems to work! AFAIK it pretty much just cooks the proteins in the spit like egg whites. Could be total snake oil/placebo though.
I've got several of the piezo clickers that are supposed to zap the bites. They seem to reduce the itching a bit but some seem to work better than others. I've tried antihistamines to reduce the impact too.

One of the very best things I found for putting on bites was on Death in Paradise! It's pile cream. :lol: (I guess the lignocaine does the trick). The other is MooGoo sensitive skin balm (it's for eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis and is brilliant stuff....and doesn't smell like pile cream :thumbup: ).
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah we had a piezo clicker, the phone powered one is the same thing just amped (almost literally :D) up. Plugs into the USB port.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'm interested in these USB ones...any recommendations or links? Ta. :thumbup:
Voltaire