Total votes: 55

Taipan

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by Taipan »

Well, our new MP is James McMurdock Reform UK! :thumbup:
cheb

Post by cheb »

The weather is noticeably better since Thursday too.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

irie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:06 am Media says that Tony Blair is advising Labour to introduce ID cards. Perhaps the time has come for them, but if someone doesn't have one what will happen, send them to the "Naughty Corner"? In any case, won't reduce annual legal immigration of over 500,000 ...
Why do the Brits not want ID cards?

I've never really understood why people are anti because if you drive you have photo ID, if you travel you have photo ID, a lot of work places have photo ID.

I've got a credit card sized passport (as well as the normal passport) which I carry as ID over here - mostly because the French have ID cards, so it's handy to have something 'formal' that is a recognised card. (Also have a driving licence, health card and residency card all with a photo on!!)

But, why are UK people so very anti having an official ID card?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:37 pm
We don’t want the Gestapo abruptly demanding our papers!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Walking down the street in our own country is not a privilege that requires proof of identity or proof of anything.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:39 pm
Think you'd have to travel a fair distance to find a Gestapo but anyway -

It's ok for the police to demand to see your driving licence in a driving situation? What's the difference to another situation and needing to show an ID card?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:41 pm Walking down the street in our own country is not a privilege that requires proof of identity or proof of anything.
I've never been stopped and asked for ID when walking down a street. But I know in the uk there are regular stops of people, so if there was a card to show to prove ID, surely that makes it easier?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:41 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:39 pm
Think you'd have to travel a fair distance to find a Gestapo but anyway -

It's ok for the police to demand to see your driving licence in a driving situation? What's the difference to another situation and needing to show an ID card?
We’ve all seen too many films with Gestapo snapping at people. It has an effect!

You can drive without carrying your licence, but it’s reasonable for cops to check that a driver is qualified to drive. There is a problem of unqualified people driving.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If you drive in the UK you don't have to carry your ID or any other 'paperwork'.

ID is one of those ideas that works fine until someone in uniform demands to see your ID, just because they can. I imagine quite a few people remember the demand for 'Papers!' from gentlemen in rather forbidding uniforms.

I do find I need my photo licence for more and more...even picking up a delivery from the Royal Mail depot (despite having the 'we tried to deliver' note in my hand).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

BBC wrote:New "Baby of the House" Sam Carling says he has a "lot of experience older MPs won't have", after being elected in Thursday's election.
The 22-year-old is now the youngest member of the House of Commons, after winning by a razor-thin majority in North West Cambridgeshire.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Carling says he gets "a little frustrated" when people criticise his lack of life experience.
"No-one has explained to me how being older makes you better at the job," he says.
Carling adds that he hopes his time in Parliament will show young people are "just as capable" as anyone else.
Public boarding school followed by Cambridge Uni, yeah I can see how that's all the experience a Labour MP needs. :lol:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:53 pm If you drive in the UK you don't have to carry your ID or any other 'paperwork'.

ID is one of those ideas that works fine until someone in uniform demands to see your ID, just because they can. I imagine quite a few people remember the demand for 'Papers!' from gentlemen in rather forbidding uniforms.

I do find I need my photo licence for more and more...even picking up a delivery from the Royal Mail depot (despite having the 'we tried to deliver' note in my hand).
If you drive a truck or bus you have to carry your CPC card.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:53 pm If you drive in the UK you don't have to carry your ID or any other 'paperwork'.

And yet - occupied countries in europe, who actually did experience the demand for papers from the occupying forces (unlike the UK) seem to be ok with ID cards!

That's why I asked. I'm interested to find out why the country as a whole is so very anti the idea.

If I go to the doctor or hospital, I have to show my Health Card. This shows that my treatment is covered (70% or 100% if they also see my insurance) and so they know what to bill me. If someone goes without a health card, then they get billed 100%. But a French is still required to also carry an ID card - although that also allows them to travel across boarders in the EU without a passport, so it has other uses!!

I'm only interested. Moreso now the replies have included an experience that the UK didn't have (occupation), I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!
As I find the idea of having to carry id weird, it's just another control placed on you by 'the man'
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm

And yet - occupied countries in europe, who actually did experience the demand for papers from the occupying forces (unlike the UK) seem to be ok with ID cards!

That's why I asked. I'm interested to find out why the country as a whole is so very anti the idea.

If I go to the doctor or hospital, I have to show my Health Card. This shows that my treatment is covered (70% or 100% if they also see my insurance) and so they know what to bill me. If someone goes without a health card, then they get billed 100%. But a French is still required to also carry an ID card - although that also allows them to travel across boarders in the EU without a passport, so it has other uses!!

I'm only interested. Moreso now the replies have included an experience that the UK didn't have (occupation), I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!
I can't think of a single reason why it would be necessary, why give authorities more power they can abuse?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!!!
You’ve gone native, sur le Continong.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:26 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!
As I find the idea of having to carry id weird, it's just another control placed on you by 'the man'
But you carry your driving licence with you? Surely that's a control?

Mussels wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:38 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm

I can't think of a single reason why it would be necessary, why give authorities more power they can abuse?
To vote? But then you can show a driving licence or passport I guess? In which case, what's the difference?

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:40 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:14 pm I just find the dislike of the idea weird!!!!
You’ve gone native, sur le Continong.
Oh I know I have - but I didn't understand the anti-ness before I moved here!! :lol: :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It's law here to carry driving licence when driving so always have it my wallet rather than forget it.
I have private health insurance so always need to carry my card as their NHS doesn't cover me.

And always carry my TIE card as never know when I'll need it. Everything is linked to the TIE card

None of this is a hardship.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:47 pm But you carry your driving licence with you? Surely that's a control?
Some of us choose to carry our driving licences, we don't have to. Presumably, a mandated ID card would have to be produced on demand (otherwise, why bother?) that's the sticking point.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:47 pm But you carry your driving licence with you? Surely that's a control?
Sometime I do , sometimes I don't, that's choice not control. I could bury it in a drawer until it's due for renewal and not give it a second thought.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

There's something of a principle involved when the State says 'In order to control crime and keep you safe we must assume everyone is a potential criminal'. Which is fine-ish if the State isn't corrupt and 'criminal' doesn't mean you want to kick them out.

Cards are a bit rubbish, people can leave them at home and fakes can be made. Who could possibly object if they were replaced with a little chip?..it works for pets. Similar principle - you have a unique identifier but you can't lose it or forget it. You wouldn't need to fumble for it in order to be scanned etc etc. You could be ID'd when you walk in through the door to, well, anywhere.

Anyone got a problem with that? :lol:

Maybe some aren't in a rush to hop on a slippery slope in a world where governments can change quite dramatically?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire