Total votes: 55

matt

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by matt »

But they are polar opposites?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

matt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:22 pm Great day.
So happy to see the Conservatives crash, especially Mogg and Truss.
I was a little sad that Sunak didn't lose his though :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:00 pm If I did vote, which I didn't, No Likey - No Votey, I would probably consider the Green or maybe Reform party. I think these two parties are supported by folk who want what's best for the climate/country , instead of what's best for me. 🤔
matt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:40 pm But they are polar opposites?
Pretty much, the environment/country are low down on both of their priority lists.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Reform just got another MP: Basildon South and East Thurrock. :thumbup:
Is that Tiepin's manor?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Can we keep this going for another 5 years and the next round of musical chairs?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Saga Lout wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:09 am
Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:46 pm It doesn't matter if you vote of not, every heard of a seat being won with a majority of one vote? Of course you haven't. ...
Not just one vote, but there have been some pretty close results so a majority of 1 vote is not impossible, in fact, it's probably already happened. I could only find results going back to 2010. Also, I'm sure I've seen reports of local elections where the vote count has been equal and the winner determined by a coin toss or drawing lots. Anyway, here are a couple of close results:

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/g ... 3/majority
UK general election on 8 June 2017, North East Fife, GETHINS, Stephen, SNP, Majority 2

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/g ... 1/majority
UK general election on 6 May 2010, Fermanagh and South Tyrone GILDERNEW, Michelle SF Majority 4
This popped up today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz9x7dz79qyo
The seats won by fewer than 100 votes
Hendon was top of the list with a 15 vote difference.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus tue whole "they never win by one seat" thinking is fundamentally daft.

Everyone only gets one vote, that's how it works.

If EVERYONE adopts a "my vote doesn't matter" thought they'd make themselves correct. You end up with a minority who care strongly about one thing or another running the show, rather than a (usually) more sensible majority.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:27 pm Plus tue whole "they never win by one seat" thinking is fundamentally daft.

If EVERYONE adopts a "my vote doesn't matter" thought they'd make themselves correct. You end up with a minority who care strongly about one thing or another running the show, rather than a (usually) more sensible majority.
Your logic is wrong. If EVERYONE adopted the "my vote doesn't matter" idea and therefore doesn't vote, each candidate would get zero votes. I have no idea how that would be resolved.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:36 pm I have no idea how that would be resolved.
Pedants competition, obviously.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:36 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:27 pm Plus tue whole "they never win by one seat" thinking is fundamentally daft.

Your logic is wrong. If EVERYONE adopted the "my vote doesn't matter" idea and therefore doesn't vote, each candidate would get zero votes. I have no idea how that would be resolved.
Your logic is wrong?

Candidates would probably (if they remembered their ID vote for themselves ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:49 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:36 pm I have no idea how that would be resolved.
Pedants competition, obviously.
So the elderly still choose?
Not much different than now where the elderly are more likely to vote.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:37 pm

Your logic is wrong?

If "everybody" doesn't include the candidates then it's not everybody, is it?

Ipso facto, my case rests. :P
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:29 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:37 pm

Your logic is wrong?

If "everybody" doesn't include the candidates then it's not everybody, is it?

Ipso facto, my case rests. :P
Candidates are special, not just an anyone or everyone. They must be, to want to do the job. Let alone be PM.
irie

Post by irie »

The UK has had a notionally "sensible majority" for over 10 years which has fucked up big time. Now the UK has a "sensible minority" who over the next few years will undoubtedly also fuck up big time. By then the notionally "sensible majority" will have hopefully got their arses in order and actually do what the majority of the electorate want. But not holding my breath.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Bit late to tell people how you plan to vote now isnt it?
Are you ok Irie? Confused? Nap time soon though eh?
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote: The UK has had a notionally "sensible majority" for over 10 years which has fucked up big time. Now the UK has a "sensible minority" who over the next few years will undoubtedly also fuck up big time. By then the notionally "sensible majority" will have hopefully got their arses in order and actually do what the majority of the electorate want. But not holding my breath.
demographic wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:05 pm Bit late to tell people how you plan to vote now isnt it?
Are you ok Irie? Confused? Nap time soon though eh?
Move your fingers slooowly under the words while moving your mouth then you will undoubtedly discover that I wasn't telling anyone how I planned to vote. Best put your nail gun down before you again shoot yourself in the foot.Bless.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:45 pm Candidates are special, not just an anyone or everyone. They must be, to want to do the job. Let alone be PM.
OK. Let us pretend that candidates are not included in "everyone" and they each vote for themselves. We again have a tie, this time one vote each instead of zero votes each. I don't know how that would be resolved either. :P
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:35 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:45 pm Candidates are special, not just an anyone or everyone. They must be, to want to do the job. Let alone be PM.
OK. Let us pretend that candidates are not included in "everyone" and they each vote for themselves. We again have a tie, this time one vote each instead of zero votes each. I don't know how that would be resolved either. :P
Alright then. Apparently the coin 'best tosser' option has gone out of fashion.
irie

Post by irie »

Media says that Tony Blair is advising Labour to introduce ID cards. Perhaps the time has come for them, but if someone doesn't have one what will happen, send them to the "Naughty Corner"? In any case, won't reduce annual legal immigration of over 500,000 ...
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

irie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:06 am Media says that Tony Blair is advising Labour to introduce ID cards. Perhaps the time has come for them, but if someone doesn't have one what will happen, send them to the "Naughty Corner"? In any case, won't reduce annual legal immigration of over 500,000 ...
He just wants a bigger IT scandal to distract attention from Horizon.