What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
636mick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by 636mick »

Posted my vote days ago!
Today, drove to Somerset, towing the caravan, on site, got set up, awning up, who needs a gym!!!
Just sat outside having a smoke looking at Glastonbury Tor.
Back next week, have fun all
Mick
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Came into the office, getting over what I suspect was a touch of the Covid last week and this. I figured that on a Friday I'd bump into fewer people in here than I would at home.

I wasn't wrong. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Our fancy kettle started making worrying noises last night, so I left it unplugged overnight and took it apart this morning. It seems to have had some moisture invasion so I disassembled the base and dried it off as best I could.

All working fine now. :D it's the little wins.

Certainly makes me feel happier than the issues I had yesterday with the white Rockster.
non quod, sed quomodo
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today, up fairly early, saw red in the election results, took son to work, then headed into the school for the Eucharist service there. Out to Rochester HMP YOI to have a look at how they can do worship with their IT system there. Was able to suggest a couple of work arounds (tight firewall policy) and get things a bit easier to use. Then dropped the chaplain off at Rochester train station. Back home for lunch, coffee and a short snooze. Was going to have a Baptism meeting later on, but the family cannot decide the date of the Baptism, so waiting on them to get back to me.

Wife is baking with the daughter, so stay out of the kitchen so that I can enjoy the proceeds of their labours later on.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:36 pm Our fancy kettle started making worrying noises last night, so I left it unplugged overnight
Ah, the old 'switch it off and back on again' IT trick :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:54 pm
Rockburner wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:36 pm Our fancy kettle started making worrying noises last night, so I left it unplugged overnight
Ah, the old 'switch it off and back on again' IT trick :D
More a case of "removed all sources of energy because it's getting plastic meltingly hot..."
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's not a Vektra is it?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:09 pm It's not a Vektra is it?
KitchenAid, iirc it's at least 10 years old, if not more.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

That's ok, we don't make KitchenAid :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I felt a bit iffy after last week's crash so had an hour out by mesen today in readiness for tmrw. Ya can see part of the path up, in the background.
20240705_161528.jpg
20240705_161528.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 303 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Pfft. Back in my prime I'd have done that on roller skates. Not the fancy boot ones either...I'm talking the cheap ones you'd strap over your shoes.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Learned something new…

I saw a car in the street had been clamped by DVLA for not being taxed.

Nothing strange there, but I live on a private street, as in, it isn’t adopted, isn’t owned by anyone - I’ve checked as I have an obligation to contribute to the maintenance within the covenant and didn’t want to be fleeced by some management company, but yet is regarded as a road under some traffic act as it is accessible to the public.

I further learned that all manner of places are regarded as roads, eg drive thru’s, car parks in general, even multi storey and as such DVLA can access the road / car park to stick an enforcement boot on your car unless it is SORNed.

The more I think about it I probably knew this as I recall you can technically get done for using your mobile whilst driving if you use your phone to pay contactlessly for your McRoyal bucket meal.

Every day is a school day. :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Woke up at what felt like stupid o'clock this morning because the forecast promised clear skies! Looked good (dark, but good!) so I got up, quick shower and headed out to get on the bike.

Left resort at 5.17am. As I was riding down the mountain I realised that I had got the timing all wrong - it's an hour and twenty minute (officially) ride to the top of the Col de la Madeleine and sunrise was around 6am (ish, accounting for mountains, a bit after!) :roll:

So, given it was so early and the roads were all empty (I only saw one car on the way up from the valley to the Col!), I did ride a smidge quicker than usual!! :lol: :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:

Was about 4kms/7 or 8mins from the top when the sun came over. The 'world' went from crisp and cool, sort of crisp n blue, to beautifully golden and just warm enough to stop my fingers actually dropping off!! :lol:

Anyway, even though I missed sunrise right at the top (I figure I was a week early rather than 8 minutes late!!!) it was still amazing. Was able to have my little toast to my riding buddy and others with a nice coffee and a pain au raisin :D I sat in the sun for almost an hour then headed down to get my eyes tested to make sure I'm still ok to drive! :lol: (I am!)

Anyway - I know I do this a lot, but, more mountain photos :angelic-green:

Photos once I'd debiked!! And with an actual camera for a change :D :D Mont Blanc was actually visible this morning (biggest mountain, left of the sun!!)

The Maurienne side of the Col

Photo just before I left to head back down

Coffee pain au raisin (or cow pat as a mate calls them!) and my kindle. Awesome way to start the day (albeit a smidge early!!)

Now have a very grumpy arm (but have found a combo of meds that does seem to actually help, not 100% but mostly!) and a much clearer head. A bit of a heavy heart as remembered some friends while I was there (the reason I went up) but it really helps to have somewhere amazing to remember my friends. Similar to my ski touring in winter :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

636mick wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:20 pm Posted my vote days ago!
Today, drove to Somerset, towing the caravan, on site, got set up, awning up, who needs a gym!!!
Mick
You've missed the festival!!! (Very sensible!). Have fun. I grew up around there, it's beautiful (well not everywhere, but lots of it is :D :D)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:31 pm
636mick wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:20 pm Posted my vote days ago!
Mick
You've missed the festival!!! (Very sensible!). Have fun. I grew up around there, it's beautiful (well not everywhere, but lots of it is :D :D)
It’s indeed a beautiful part of the country. Glastonbury has the nicest smelling high street I’ve ever been in, jos sticks, patchouli, etc, but also has a lot of oddly dressed people, but each to their own. The Tor has some great views, if it’s not raining.
Tomorrow is Wells, Cheddar and Wooky Hole, plus some other places.
Sunday is Van Morrison, which is why we came here.
Lovely part of the world to grow up in.
Mick
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

636mick wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:37 pm
Sunday is Van Morrison, which is why we came here.
Rather you than me!

Anyway stayed up all night watching the election coverage so did frig all today, I've had six hours sleep since Wednesday morning.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:29 pm Awesome way to start the day (albeit a smidge early!!)

it really helps to have somewhere amazing to remember my friends.
And an awesome post :). Apart from the early start ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Been to see The Killers at the O2, supported by Travis - they were good, very good....
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

4th dose of Ozempic today, actually managed to stab myself this time, which disappointed roomie as she's a retired nurse & seems to take some delight in stabbing people with needles.

Next dose is double what I've been getting, which was low to assess allergies/reactions etc & isn't supposed to do anything about blood sugar. However, when I started I was around 190-210 & I was 112 on Tuesday.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yesterday I ate some icecream, it went through me like shit through a goose. Ozempic was the suspect.
Today I ate some more icecream & had the same reaction.

This would appear to point at the devastating conclusion that iceceam is now off the menu :(