Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

Supermofo

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by Supermofo »

I think the result tells the same story that 1997 and 2010 did. Basically the country trundles on with whoever is in charge until people get (more) pissed off with them and hoof them out. They'll go with the oppo until the same happens 10 years or so later and vote them out.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:45 am I think the result tells the same story that 1997 and 2010 did. Basically the country trundles on with whoever is in charge until people get (more) pissed off with them and hoof them out. They'll go with the oppo until the same happens 10 years or so later and vote them out.
Are you implying that they sell the dream of milk and honey to gain power, only to realise that they can only work with what they've got, which ain't a lot, winging it as they go along, delivering only stale bread when they promised glorious cakes?

Oh, come on...
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:59 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:45 am I think the result tells the same story that 1997 and 2010 did. Basically the country trundles on with whoever is in charge until people get (more) pissed off with them and hoof them out. They'll go with the oppo until the same happens 10 years or so later and vote them out.
Are you implying that they sell the dream of milk and honey to gain power, only to realise that they can only work with what they've got, which ain't a lot, winging it as they go along, delivering only stale bread when they promised glorious cakes?

Oh, come on...
I think I'm implying people mainly realise that despite the manifestos other than little bits here and there nothing changes. So they don't rock the boat until the current mob prove so utterly incapable that they need a shoe in. The new lot come in on a wave of "Things can only get better" but do fuck all (broadly cos they can't and also people don't want much changing) and muddle through before everyone gets pissed off and votes the other mob in.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

The results have been announced - but I haven't seen rainbows in the skies, the new nirvana being rolled out, or peope huging in the streets.

Next issue Sir Kir is going to hav eto make some decisions about a cabinet, I wonder how many times he will change his mind
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:13 am The results have been announced - but I haven't seen rainbows in the skies, the new nirvana being rolled out, or peope huging in the streets...
Well, there are people huging in the streets but I think that's more down to Greggs and McDonald's than the new Labour government. ;)
cheb

Post by cheb »

What do you reckon, end of the month for everything to be back to the perfection it was before 14 years of Torry misrule?

Or might it take a bit longer?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Results from here were interesting. Labour got more than the two indy candidates combined, and the Lib Dems got less than the two hard line thou shalt not Christian parties*.

*One of them, I CBA to find out which, had the slogan 'Be wise, not woke'.
irie

Post by irie »

With net (legal) immigration running at over 500,000 per year the country might be able to "trundle on" for a couple more years before housing/healthcare and other infrastructure suffers a final collapse. Basically finishing off the job started by 14 years of wasted Conservative government. By then Labour will be out of money, won't be pretty.
Last edited by irie on Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Druid

Post by Druid »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:43 am Very low turn out too. Those voters who did brave to warm, sunny weather yesterday, driven more, I suspect, to get people out than to support the two main parties.
I think the low turn out may be due to a number of factors, including:
Labour were predicted to win with a large majority, so many Labour voters thought they didn't need to bother
Tories predicted to suffer a huge defeat, so Tory voters thought they didn't need to bother
Many people of the opinion that "they're all the same", so why bother

The FPTP system has also thrown up some interesting results. Plaid Cymru get 4 seats from 195000 votes, Greens get 4 seats from 1.94 million votes, and Reform get 4 seats from 4 million votes. LibDems get 71 seats from 3.5 million votes :wtf:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

irie wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:08 pm
With net (legal) immigration running at over 500,000 per year the country might be able to "trundle on" for a couple more years before housing/healthcare and other infrastructure suffers a final collapse. Basically finishing off the job started by 14 years of wasted Conservative government. By then Labour will be out of money, won't be pretty.
Immigration is the elephant in the European room. Never thought I'd see a right wing party scoop 1/3 of the vote in France. Right wing gains across Europe whilst the main parties fiddle and people turn to those who they think are actually listening, same as times in the past. With PR here Reform would be 3rd largest party. The media focus on the 30k people who arrived by illegal boats last year whilst not looking at the total immigration of 1.2m and net of 600 odd k. It's all very messy.

Also interesting that's it's being mentioned that Labour lost 4 seats specifically due to the Palestine stance.
matt

Post by matt »

Great day.
So happy to see the Conservatives crash, especially Mogg and Truss.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:44 pm

Also interesting that's it's being mentioned that Labour lost 4 seats specifically due to the Palestine stance.
Yeah. Not really getting that.

What do these people expect of the U.K. government? We don't really have much sway in the way Israel executes its domestic policy.

U.K. Govt.: Come on, Israel. Knock it on the head in Gaza, yeah?

Israeli govt.: No.

U.K. Govt.: Oh. O.K. then.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:00 am Liz Truss result & the Downing st lettuce didn't even have the grace to congratulate the new MP.
She shook his hand. I thought that was the given protocol.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

cheb wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:19 am What do you reckon, end of the month for everything to be back to the perfection it was before 14 years of Torry misrule?

Or might it take a bit longer?
Should be good for a while, well until these run out...

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:04 pm Image
I think the departing bunch used those all up buying PPE :(
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:22 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:44 pm

Yeah. Not really getting that.

What do these people expect of the U.K. government? We don't really have much sway in the way Israel executes its domestic policy.

U.K. Govt.: Come on, Israel. Knock it on the head in Gaza, yeah?

Israeli govt.: No.

U.K. Govt.: Oh. O.K. then.
Why on earth it is an election issue in the when education, health, the economy, infrastructure , corruption, social mobility, wealth distribution, pot holes, food prices, post Brexit Britain are all much bigger issues. And things that a government can do something about.
Palestine and Israel - they can't.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:34 pm
Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:00 am Liz Truss result & the Downing st lettuce didn't even have the grace to congratulate the new MP.
Fair enough,I was listening to the radio at the time & they never mentined the handshake
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:50 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:34 pm
Fair enough,I was listening to the radio at the time & they never mentined the handshake
In fairness, it was a very quiet handshake. ;)

Should have high-fived - works better on the radio. :thumbup:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Regarding 'the palestinian issue', Gorgeous George lost his seat.He only won it in February,I wonder how long the other MP's who stood on a Pro-Palestine ticket will fare?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If I did vote, which I didn't, No Likey - No Votey, I would probably consider the Green or maybe Reform party. I think these two parties are supported by folk who want what's best for the climate/country , instead of what's best for me. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3