Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

Saga Lout

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by Saga Lout »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:56 am We need more laws then. These guilty people must be punished.
Quite right. We don't have enough laws. If only we had enough laws the world would be perfect. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Felix wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:42 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:45 am
Felix wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:19 am Voting for no one. After throwing a dart it my postal vote slip i put it in the envelope only for it to return to me two days later. I put the address slip in the wrong way round :lol: :lol:
I suggest two new forum rules:

If you don't vote, you can't post on political matters.

If you do vote, you can post on the condition you don't keep harping on, and on, and on, ad infinitum, like some sort of deranged, delirious parrot with a political leaning. :thumbup:
But i did vote. I just fucked up with the address slip window and as for harping on, how many posts have you in this thread? Think this is my second.
Crossing fingers and shouting 'Fayknights' is exemption enough, I'll thank you to remember.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:09 pm I cast my vote this morning,& for the first time in years I'm optimistic about the result.
I was voting late morning & the bloke who walked in behind me couldn't vote as he'd forgot to bring the required identification,they said that he's the first voter that they've had to turn away so most people seem to be on message.
Don't forget your I.d :thumbup:
We pitched up and my 'across the road' neighbour was on the desk checking people in as usual. 'Hello' we say, 'Hello' says he 'got your ID?' :lol: (We still had to show it).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

mboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:32 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:30 pm
mboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:58 pm
I shall be fucking glad when this is all over tomorrow, and we can go on living being told what to do, how to act, who not to upset, and how much poorer I am every single year as a result of governmental economists lying through their teeth about real world inflation and interest rates all whilst ignoring fiscal drag, rather than enjoying the illusion that I can make a difference at all even for a single day!
I think you're right about some of that and if you sit and do not very much about it then you will be a victim of all that stuff you've just typed that you think is unavoidable.

You can't singlehandedly change the government, but you can singlehandedly completely change your own circumstances.

Invent a machine that harnesses moaning, you'd be rich just from this thread.
I speak mostly in jest… Humour is the best method of dealing with the madness I find.

I do anything/everything I can to improve my own circumstances. But there is and always will be, things completely out of your control that we are too reliant on other people for sadly (for instance, getting Cancer)… Having both dealt with Cancer myself, and my GF, you’ll understand my anger towards those who use the NHS as a bargaining chip…
I had cancer, with chemo, it destroyed my military career.

If you're not where you want to be then you're either not doing everything you can to improve your circumstances, or you haven't been doing it hard enough for long enough.

Life is brutal, it knows whether you're giving it 100% and it doesn't give you anything if you aren't.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:06 pm https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... l%20series.
ONS. Independent body, disliked by the Tories as they call out their bullshit. If you click that link you'll see inflation was recorded as 14.9%. Where did you get 3% from?
From that page:
This is not the latest release. View latest release
Here's the current one. :lol:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... on/may2024
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:33 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:06 pm https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... l%20series.
ONS. Independent body, disliked by the Tories as they call out their bullshit. If you click that link you'll see inflation was recorded as 14.9%. Where did you get 3% from?
From that page:
This is not the latest release. View latest release
Here's the current one. :lol:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... on/may2024
I worked on the basis that we were discussing the peak of inflationary pressure, so looked at 2023.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've voted. Conservative and Unionist party, because in these challenging times I think it's better to have a stable government rather risk the upheaval of change.

NB, one of the above statements may not be true.

Maybe I voted Conservative for another reason.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Alan B'stard is your Tory candidate? :thumbup:
mboy

Post by mboy »

Life is brutal, it knows whether you're giving it 100% and it doesn't give you anything if you aren't.
Not least because we systematically keep voting in governments that don't have our best interests at heart... Whilst Snake Oil salesmen successfully continue to convince people to fight amongst themselves and support their particular flavours of cronyism, we stand defeated.

Live absolutely doesn't have to be this hard! The human race seems to refuse to want to learn the lessons of its own history, which means in essence, they are doomed to repeat those mistakes...

I'm only 43 and I'm tired... REALLY fucking tired... And I'm one of the relatively lucky ones, so to speak!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:53 pm
Not least because we systematically keep voting in governments that don't have our best interests at heart... Whilst Snake Oil salesmen successfully continue to convince people to fight amongst themselves and support their particular flavours of cronyism, we stand defeated.

Live absolutely doesn't have to be this hard! The human race seems to refuse to want to learn the lessons of its own history, which means in essence, they are doomed to repeat those mistakes...

I'm only 43 and I'm tired... REALLY fucking tired... And I'm one of the relatively lucky ones, so to speak!
I like reading your posts. I have absolutely no idea what they mean, but you use big words
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Not least because we systematically keep voting in governments that don't have our best interests at heart...
So again I ask, who should we vote for?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Well that's my adulting done for another 5 years
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:28 pm

Not least because we systematically keep voting in governments that don't have our best interests at heart...
In my case I vote for who I think will do the least damage,not a very positive or optimistic endorsement of UK politics,but that's the reality..
It could be worse,Russia,USA,France,Germany,Hungary & a whole lot of other countries.I just hope that if nothing else,Labour stop the rot.
At least I've voted to get the current chancers out...
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:28 pm
It doesn't matter if you vote of not, every heard of a seat being won with a majority of one vote? Of course you haven't. I've voted in every election (except this one) since 1983 and never once have I voted for the winning candidate. Every single one of my votes has been worthless, a waste of my time and of the people doing the counting. This is the joy of our "first past the post" system. I actually Googled to find out when the last government had more than 50% of the vote, it was Cameron and the Tories in 2010. Before that it was the Tories in 1935 which morphed into the wartime coalition. Labour have only managed to represent the majority of voters once, in 1931.

I didn't bother regestering to vote, but if I had I get a postal vote in my old constituency of North East Hertfordshire. I usually get Tory, Labour, Lib Dem and sometimes a Green candidate to choose from, it doesn't matter who I vote for the Tories always win (maybe not this year). If I had registered to vote I have a long history of never voting Tory and won't vote Lib Dem after the coalition, which leaves Labour or Green, The greens are nutters so it's Labour, which is where I have an issue. One example is that currently there's a group of SAS soldiers being investigated for alleged human rights abuse in Afghanistan, I don't agree with prosecuting troops for doing the job they were sent there to do and Keir Starmer is a human rights lawyer, so that's my Labour vote gone. I can come up with a lot reasons not to vote for any of them but can't be bothered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _elections
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

UKIP only ever won one seat (they've had more than one overall due to defections though) but they still had a pretty big impact on UK politics.

You don't need to win to have an effect.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:46 pm It doesn't matter if you vote of not, every heard of a seat being won with a majority of one vote? Of course you haven't.
I googled to try and find the smallest majority ever, but couldn't get anything.
This is the joy of our "first past the post" system. I actually Googled to find out when the last government had more than 50% of the vote
You'll like this, then

... February election in 1974, no party got more than half the seats with Labour on 301 seats to 297 for the Conservatives – despite the Conservatives beating Labour in votes by 0.7%.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:50 pm UKIP only ever won one seat (they've had more than one overall due to defections though) but they still had a pretty big impact on UK politics.

I think the UKIP effect was more at local council elections, they won a few seats but on many councils across the country.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:50 pm UKIP only ever won one seat (they've had more than one overall due to defections though) but they still had a pretty big impact on UK politics.

Indeed. Farage has stood for election as an MP 7 (I think) times and lost each time. Yet his influence on British politics has unfortunately been huge.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:39 pm I've voted. Conservative and Unionist party, because in these challenging times I think it's better to have a stable government rather risk the upheaval of change.

NB, one of the above statements may not be true.

Maybe I voted Conservative for another reason.
I voted for an independent. Perhaps foolishly as I hope Labour will get in with a solid majority. I guess we will see how whoever gets in goes. I'm certainly not claiming to have all the answers.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was dismayed to find there wasn't a bumming party candidate on my ballot.