What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Buckaroo

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Buckaroo »

Worked with my son installing di2 onto an expensive focus frame. The frame was not built for di2 so it was very challenging and at times a bit nerve wracking. But, to my surprise, the result was really good. Then discovered that the concealed front rim brake on a Boardman aero bike is a pile of crap to work on. The cable routing into the frame is also awful.

That said, it was more interesting than normal bike servicing.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Buckaroo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:47 pm Worked with my son installing di2 onto an expensive focus frame. The frame was not built for di2 so it was very challenging and at times a bit nerve wracking. But, to my surprise, the result was really good. Then discovered that the concealed front rim brake on a Boardman aero bike is a pile of crap to work on. The cable routing into the frame is also awful.

That said, it was more interesting than normal bike servicing.
In English?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

It's programmable electronic gear shifting. Shimano di2 used very thin cables and various servo motors to actuate the front and rear mechs (derailler).

Bike frames are built to accept either cables only, cables and di2 and in some cases, di2 or wireless shifting only and hydraulic systems.

The focus frame has complete internal cable routing all moulded into the frame itself; cable changes are easy.

Great for steel cables but not for electronic cables.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

The days of bikes being low tech are long gone.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Had. my first emountainbike off on a descent on a stony track off the moor above Askrigg in t'Dales need a new helmet! cut elbow hand and ribs and leg in a state one of those Ill lie here for a bit and try and breath, took a full ten minutes to get to my feet and rode/ walked home. Real head first into rocky track followed by ribs hand then elbow no loss of conciousness but loss of
dignity for sure. Cows on t'other side of the wall dont judge, i dont think.
Last edited by rodbargee on Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:06 am Had. my first emountainbike off on a descent on a stony track off the moor above Askrigg in t'Dales need a new helmet! cut elbow hand and ribs and leg in a state one of those Ill lie here for a bit and try and breath, took a full ten minutes to get to my feet and rode/ walked home. Real head first into rocky track followed by ribs hand then elbow no loss of conciousness but loss of
dignity for sure.
Whoops... happens to us all.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

would rather have had all my M/C gear on
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:06 am Had. my first emountainbike off on a descent on a stony track off the moor above Askrigg in t'Dales need a new helmet! cut elbow hand and ribs and leg in a state one of those Ill lie here for a bit and try and breath, took a full ten minutes to get to my feet and rode/ walked home. Real head first into rocky track followed by ribs hand then elbow no loss of conciousness but loss of
dignity for sure. Cows on t'other side of the wall dont judge, i dont think.
As the saying goes, any crash you walk away from... :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:10 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:00 am
A mate of mine (was a personal trainer in the uk) told me to just walk. Unless you are weightlifting to build specific muscles, he said that walking 5km, even gently but without stopping, is better than going between the aerobic machines (cycling, rowing, cross trainer etc!).
Although isn't weights etc good for improving bone density?
Oh 100%. But most people go to use aerobic machines like cycles, treadmills etc. Apparently for that it's better to go for a good long walk - unless you'll do an hour on each machine and that would probably make you very unpopular with other people at the gym!! LOL

Equally, walking is apparently good for bone density - but basic weight training is very good, apparently! :D:D

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:09 am

would rather have had all my M/C gear on
It's one of the many reasons cycling and especially MTB scares me so much - it just doesn't look like much protection when you've been close to the mountain routes!! LOL

Hope you recover fast - cows may judge, but they can't share the judgement so all good :D :D :D x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

A mate of mine (was a personal trainer in the uk) told me to just walk. Unless you are weightlifting to build specific muscles, he said that walking 5km, even gently but without stopping, is better than going between the aerobic machines (cycling, rowing, cross trainer etc!).
I'm calling BS on that (with no qualifications to back my opinion up)
5Km is 3ish miles, at an average walking speed of 4mph you'll knock that out in 45ish minutes without breaking a sweat, 30 minutes on a rower will get you 6km, blowing out your arse, sweat dripping and a sustained heart rate above 140bpm
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:30 pm
5Km is 3ish miles, at an average walking speed of 4mph you'll knock that out in 45ish minutes without breaking a sweat, 30 minutes on a rower will get you 6km, blowing out your arse, sweat dripping and a sustained heart rate above 140bpm
He said most people do 15-20 mins on each machine and the goal should be to keep the heart rate slightly above normal for a minimum of 45 minutes, ideally an hour.

But I have no qualifications either; but I would prefer to walk for 45+ mins that go to the gym :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:44 pm
He said most people do 15-20 mins on each machine and the goal should be to keep the heart rate slightly above normal for a minimum of 45 minutes, ideally an hour.

But I have no qualifications either; but I would prefer to walk for 45+ mins that go to the gym :D :D
If all you're doing is 15 minute's of moderate exercise per machine, then he may have a point, but, IMHO, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the machines, they're there for strenuous exercise, again in my opinion.
Current NHS guff is to do 150 minutes moderate or 75 minutes of strenuous exercise per week.

Personally I'd sooner boil my head than go to a gym
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

A brisk walk to the pub keeps you well :)
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

walked to the polling station at 9 NOW1730 can hardly stand up feel like big George has been using me as the heavy bag :angelic-green:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:52 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:44 pm

If all you're doing is 15 minute's of moderate exercise per machine, then he may have a point, but, IMHO, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the machines, they're there for strenuous exercise, again in my opinion.
Current NHS guff is to do 150 minutes moderate or 75 minutes of strenuous exercise per week.

Personally I'd sooner boil my head than go to a gym
Don't disagree, but most people (including me when I went/planned to go!) go and do a series of 20 mins or so on each machine. And apparently that's not as good as the walking. But like I say - I'm only repeating what he advised me to do (taking into account the knee and shoulder!!). :D :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Another trip up to the Col de la Madeleine this morning for breakfast - no croissants of any description sadly!! Coffee is good tho :D

Mont Blanc still not visible from up there cos of cloud :( :(

Slightly changed how I move on the bike (realised I was a bit unbalanced on the turns) and my arm got a bit pissy about it! Rode better though :D :D Soooo if I'm gonna go up for sunrise tomorrow (first morning its been forecast to be clear skies in weeks!) then I'll be dosing up before and after :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Noggin on Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've been to the local pub.

I resisted the urge to have a pint and just voted instead.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:20 pm I've been to the local pub.

I did the opposite earlier. 4 times :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:20 pm I've been to the local pub.

Lightweight!!! :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I voted by post, now sinking the 1st pint.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I've been to a pub, voted - and fed the ducks. And some Gulls. And a Moorhen.

Lightweights.
Attachments
IMG_9793 Large.jpeg
IMG_9793 Large.jpeg (621.83 KiB) Viewed 190 times