In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:17 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:08 pm I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0dde402z4no
Speaking to reporters in London, Sir Keir said Mr Thomas was a veteran "who's got a proud record of service".

He said the comments showed the Conservatives were "party first through and through and country second" which was the "wrong way round".

"I think this is sad desperation that the veterans minister is attacking another veteran who's got a proud record of service," he said.

"It's desperate."

Responding, Mr Mercer said: "I am guilty as charged for being a sad man who is rather old fashioned and thinks veterans who boast in newspapers about their record in combat in order to get elected should be held to account, particularly if it turns out to be untrue.

"It is deeply offensive and disrespectful to those who do actually shed blood for the nation."
So he doesn't know if it's true or not? Or, if he does know it to be untrue, how does he know? Has he used his position/contacts to trawl through military records stuff in order to diss a member of the opposition? That's my question....how do you know??

It's pretty grubby stuff from Mercer though. I thought he was a better man than that.
It seems there was a little more to it than that, Mercer isn't the one that challenged the Labour candidate.
Telegraph wrote:Writing on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Thursday night, Mr Mercer said a question-and-answer event at which Mr Thomas also appeared was “one of the most unpleasant experiences I’ve had in public life”.

“My opponent lied throughout,” he said. “He was then challenged on his claim to have served ‘in combat’ by an 11-tour veteran, which he could not stand up,” Mr Mercer wrote.

“I cannot believe I am standing against a real life Walter Mitty in Plymouth. If there is one place you don’t want to lie about your military service, it is this city.

“Veterans in the room – including one who was sunk in the Falklands – erupted and started to walk out. The hustings [were] ended.”
Given that a chief constable has just been sacked for similar dishonest claims I suspect blind trust is a bit lacking.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Well, in August 2023 it was predicted how this would go.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-plymouth

It's all pretty shabby really.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Careful everyone, we're on a heat warning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgrrjm496gpo
Yellow heat-health alerts set for most of England
30 degrees in summer, who would have expected that?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:00 pm Careful everyone, we're on a heat warning.
It's yellow snow warnings that have to be taken seriously.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:00 pm Careful everyone, we're on a heat warning.
Whenever I see maps like this I always think the same thing....

The welsh border is way further west than I draw it in my mind.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:06 pm

Bloody good, any further east and I'd be Welsh
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:30 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:06 pm

Bloody good, any further east and I'd be Welsh
You sound Welsh boyo :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Busted! :D
Sussex Police wrote:A dangerous motorcyclist who was seen riding at speeds of 80mph in a 30mph zone has been disqualified.

Kieran Jones was recorded on a speed camera on the A22 in Eastbourne Road, Halland, on seven occasions.

He reached as high as 80mph in a 30mph zone, but would conceal his registration plate to avoid detection.

Officers from the Roads Policing Unit used a plan and were able to catch and arrest the 24-year-old in February.

At interview, Jones admitted he had been the rider wearing a distinctive helmet in several speeding incidents.

He appeared in court where he admitted dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, failing to stop, failing to comply with a solid white line road marking, and eight counts of speeding between July last year and February.

Speeding is one of the main reasons why people are killed or seriously injured on our roads.

One in three collisions in Sussex is caused by motorists travelling at excess speed above the speed limit.

At Crawley Magistrates’ Court on March 11, he admitted the charges.

Jones, formerly a landscape gardener of Hornbeam Road, Reigate, was disqualified from driving for three years and ordered to complete 225 hours of unpaid work as part of a six-month suspended prison sentence.
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/susse ... AiFg-KxfKA

Horse

Post by Horse »

Had his headlamp on, was wearing hi-vis - so must have been safe :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Sounds like the guy needed bringing to book but IMO the police do themselves no favours bragging about this. They can move heaven and earth to catch a speeding motorcyclist but burglars and other scum seem to be off limits or impossible to catch.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Also seems that the standard of evidence required is a bit lower in this case. CPS often decide to drop charges because the evidence is 'weak', often when most ordinary people would describe it as somewhere between adequate and overwhelming.

Was his helmet really unique, or was it just a bit unusual. My spare helmet might be identical, the CPS don't know.

I realise that fluffy kittens were endangered, but this looks and feels like a vendetta.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:24 am Also seems that the standard of evidence required is a bit lower in this case. CPS often decide to drop charges because the evidence is 'weak', often when most ordinary people would describe it as somewhere between adequate and overwhelming.

Was his helmet really unique, or was it just a bit unusual. My spare helmet might be identical, the CPS don't know.

I realise that fluffy kittens were endangered, but this looks and feels like a vendetta.
I know that stretch of road and there were probably several complaints about him to the police, it's a residential road through the village and I expect a lot of people heard him. Enough people shouting will get the police and CPS to push anything through to court.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:35 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:24 am don't know.
but this looks and feels like a vendetta.
I know that stretch of road and there were probably several complaints about him to the police, it's a residential road through the village and I expect a lot of people heard him.
A mate was stopped one morning heading to work. To be fair to the residents who had complained to police, his Triumph was a tad noisy. Police knew what time he would be passing, so we're there solely to get him.

The most extreme example, though, was a radar speed trap set up solely to get one motorcyclist as he headed to work.

He had often taken the piss out of traffic police riders, saying he could outrun them anytime, they'd be ever get him.

His place of work? The same police station ... Occupation? Beat copper.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've been too nice about the police, here's another story about their integrity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnkkk5ky0k2o
BBC wrote:Met denies being source of election bet leaks
So who else knew about both the Downing Street people and the Met officers being referred to the Gambling Commission? Are they accusing the Gambling Commission of the leaks?
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:18 am Busted! :D
Sussex Police wrote:A dangerous motorcyclist who was seen riding at speeds of 80mph in a 30mph zone has been disqualified.

Kieran Jones was recorded on a speed camera on the A22 in Eastbourne Road, Halland, on seven occasions.

He reached as high as 80mph in a 30mph zone, but would conceal his registration plate to avoid detection.

Officers from the Roads Policing Unit used a plan and were able to catch and arrest the 24-year-old in February.

At interview, Jones admitted he had been the rider wearing a distinctive helmet in several speeding incidents.

He appeared in court where he admitted dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, failing to stop, failing to comply with a solid white line road marking, and eight counts of speeding between July last year and February.

Speeding is one of the main reasons why people are killed or seriously injured on our roads.

One in three collisions in Sussex is caused by motorists travelling at excess speed above the speed limit.

At Crawley Magistrates’ Court on March 11, he admitted the charges.

Jones, formerly a landscape gardener of Hornbeam Road, Reigate, was disqualified from driving for three years and ordered to complete 225 hours of unpaid work as part of a six-month suspended prison sentence.
https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/susse ... AiFg-KxfKA
So, "dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, failing to stop, failing to comply with a solid white line road marking, and eight counts of speeding" but he wasn't charged with "conceal[ing] his registration plate to avoid detection". I wonder why. Surely there's a law against taking the piss out of the law?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:44 am I've been too nice about the police, here's another story about their integrity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnkkk5ky0k2o
BBC wrote:Met denies being source of election bet leaks
So who else knew about both the Downing Street people and the Met officers being referred to the Gambling Commission? Are they accusing the Gambling Commission of the leaks?
I’m all for bookies being cheated out of money.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:24 am Also seems that the standard of evidence required is a bit lower in this case. CPS often decide to drop charges because the evidence is 'weak', often when most ordinary people would describe it as somewhere between adequate and overwhelming.

Really? 80mph through a 30 on what seems to be a regular basis? I think twats like that need a break from riding a bike. I know I RLAT on occasion (moreso when I was over there) but 30's and 50's we did 30 and 50 (also did 20 in the few 20's that were near me in Bristol at the time).

But TBH - anyone daft/stupid/arrogant enough to do 80 through a village that's marked as a 30 deserve the book thrown. Can't really understand why it's a vendetta to stop someone actually being very dangerous?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If you're gonna conceal your number plate but wear a distinctive helmet you need punishing just for being dim.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:35 pm If you're gonna conceal your number plate but wear a distinctive helmet you need punishing just for being dim.
When I had the pink blackbird I knew I had to be a bit careful - not like I could say "wasn't me officer, must have been another pink Blackbird" :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tommy Robinson arrested in Canada, immigration offences.

Rwanda next stop?