Rear brake advocated for cornering in the wet

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

Re: Rear brake advocated for cornering in the wet

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm "another classic is saying "standing up lowers the centre of mass" - they obviously never got past Physics 101 if they really think that."

Agreed, there's no way standing up while riding a bike lowers the centre of mass, but it does make it easier to ride a bike at low speed, I've no idea why, possibly a leverage thing or maybe because you're using your feet to balance and not your bum.

I try not to think too much about my riding and how I do things because I end up over analysing it and then worrying about whether I'm riding correctly rather than getting on with enjoying riding a bike, I learnt by trial and error - there was a lot of error, but it was mostly on a YZ125 that didn't really get damaged and I was young and recovered quickly.

I think I've gone off at a complete tangent on this thread so feel happy to ignore my posts and go back to talking about using the rear brake mid corner, I think I understand what Spin is saying on this and if I do I agree with him, I don't know if I could practically do it, and in the wet I'm far more concerned about the front slipping than the back, so anything that takes some load off the front tyre is good
A few years ago, four or five of the writing staff of a US mag - 'Motorcyclist' I think it was - responded to a letter which said "surely you're wrong in your article that says 'standing up lowers the centre of gravity' - surely it raises it"... they all told the writer he was wrong. Rather scary, that.

I agree that we can over-analyse but OTOH there are techniques which work... and if something works, someone sooner or later asks "how". And by the same coin, there are techniques that people say work, and don't - at least, not how they are explained to work.

I too am far more concerned about the front slipping on a wet corner - this was exactly what my CB900F racing buddy was talking about, and how in the wet they had to change riding styles. In the dry they could use the normal racer - brake deep into the corner, then power out - technique (even on Avon Roadrunners!) but in the wet the skinny fronts had virtually no grip, so the danger was that it would let go and they'd be off in a flash. The solution was to shift the point at which they got back on the gas much earlier in the turn, thereby lessening the risk of losing the front on the brakes.

But given that the rear had no grip either, the traction issue switched to the rear - there was danger of a mid-corner loss of grip via a combination of lean and power. The lean would cause the rear end to go sideways, the throttle would cause wheelspin, and the tyre would keep sliding out of line. Because it took a moment to get OFF the gas and take away the power element of the loss of grip, the rear end had often gone sideways enough to result in a highside.

What he figured out was that although he was still trying to get round the corner as fast as possible by mixing lean and drive, by using the rear brake he could control the wheelspin IF the rear slide sideways, thereby slowing down rapidity with which it got out of line... which gave him a far better chance of recovering before the slide turned terminal.

I figured out fairly early on in my despatching career that turning into wet bends on the brakes had a significant risk of ending badly. I did save a couple of front end slides - one memorably with a size 9 boot planted in the tarmac, which kept the front up at the expense of a severe wrench to my knee ligaments - but I lost a lot more than I saved. By contrast rear end slides were pretty easy to control if I wasn't on the gas at the time, but I also learned that as the bikes got more powerful, it was far easier to spin the rear end right round.

I damn nearly highsided the GSX-R on a group ride I'd organised some years back. A mate was leading, I was trolling round at the back behind a very nervous lady on an XV535. It was a lovely sunny afternoon but there had just been a 30 second shower. I was watching the scenery rather than the road, and a left turn caught me a bit by surprise, only to discover a metal sheet laid over a trench halfway round. I was in a high gear at low revs when I turned the corner, which requires a relatively large throttle opening. The road was dry, but the metal was colder and still wet. The rear hit the wet metal, the tyre lost grip, the throttle opening spun the rear wheel up, which slid sideways before I could react. Of course, as soon as it slid back onto dry tarmac it gripped again. The near-highside threw me out of the seat and I landed on the tank.

The rear brake wouldn't have prevented the slide... but it might have prevented the rapidity it got sideways and the violence the reaction when the tyre gripped again.
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 pm When it's raining, you should be in the car :)
I quite fancy a Niken for that... if only I had the budget.

When I was in NZ for Shiny Side Up 2019, Yamaha NZ provided a Niken for Dave Keilty, the boss man. I was supposed to be getting one as well, but they only managed to get the one luggage kit out of Yamaha in time, so I had to 'make do' with a Tracer 900.

We did over 3000 miles on the bikes and half way round we were talking about the Niken over a beer and Dave was saying "I really don't get what it offers over an ordinary bike".

Then that weekend he had to ride back Saturday afternoon from Hamilton to Wellington for his daughter's 21st birthday party on the Saturday evening, and back to rejoin us Sunday morning. It's a 1000 km round trip. It rained nearly all the way back, and much of the ride was in the dark.

When he got back, he said "NOW I see what it's for". He said he simply aimed into bends, completely unbothered about whether the tarmac was polished or covered in patches of sand... with two front wheels, it just gripped and steered.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:40 pm When it's raining, you should be in the car :)
Ecomobile/MonoRacer for me. :D
(but even more of a budgetary issue)
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm Ecomobile/MonoRacer for me. :D
Always fancied one for despatching ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm
Ecomobile/MonoRacer for me. :D
Carver, please :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

If anyone's considering one of Spin's courses, I'd highly recommend it :thumbup:

Back on topic, I'm concluding that RiDE should have advocated refinement of the basics, such as smoothness. Braking mid-bend uses up some of my attention - a finite resource!
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pmI haven't read the article (a scan would be good as I'm not dashing to a shop to buy it right now - I'd rather get a copy of the Beano with the pull-out 'Beano for grown-ups' special section actually ;)) ) but any brakes applied mid-corner destabilise the bike.
In its January 2021 issue, RiDE's editor Matt Wildee says: "I find using the back brake to be very useful in the wet. I will get all my normal braking done in a straight line and enter with a positive throttle, but applying gentle rear brake mid-corner, while still having a bit of positive throttle, allows you to tighten a line without loading the front tyre. It stresses the bike less than rolling off or leaning more and pulls the bike into the apex." Surely this advice isn't without risk? And it would use up some of my attention (a finite resource).
Last edited by Hot_Air on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:23 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm I always thought it was "do all braking before the corner" then accelerate out. Trailing the rear brake is great for slow speed work .... and setting up for corner.

On my old GS Adventure, with a paralever front end, you could brake wherever you wanted to. On the Ducati 998s , if you did that, it tried to kill you....
Yup.
(Paralever is the rear end btw. ;) Telelever is the front end on an R1100+GS.)

I'm not sure about braking mid-corner with the rear, but IIRC on my BMF part 1/Part2 course we were taught to use the rear 'more' in the wet as a rear wheel slide is slightly less discombobulating than a front wheel slide, but I think that was more intended for straight line braking.
I did that to test that you were awake - and knew your stuff :clap: :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm It appears several people came to the same Point & Squirt conclusion. In the prehistoric era, an ex-Hendon instructor recommended it to me.
A lot of what I've taught has 'arrived' in different ways:
- Slow, look lean roll - MSF
- Independent of Spin, that evolved to slow settle steer
- 1 2 3 from a 2hr session with someone who needed road reference points, so I had to invent something
- view of the verge, before adjusting line, was Nev on VD or TRC
- and some just from trying stuff out that didn't make sense, however often it was quoted
- Halley's Mind Driving

And the rest I stole from Spin ;)
Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm In its January 2021 issue, RiDE says: "I."
Is 'I' got a name, blud?
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Horse And a lot of what I've learnt has 'arrived' in different ways (including Spin :thumbup: ). Also, I've edited my post to clarify that the quote came from RiDE's editor, Matt Wildee.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm I haven't read the article (a scan would be good as I'm not dashing to a shop to buy it right now - I'd rather get a copy of the Beano with the pull-out 'Beano for grown-ups' special section actually ;)) ) but any brakes applied mid-corner destabilise the bike.
Considering recent advice from RiDE - whether it's applying brakes mid-corner or giving a RiDE Recommended award to A-rated clobber - the Beano is a better read.
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pmIt's my own Point and Squirt, which you covered on my course. It is partially based on Code, though, since I use a modified version of his 'two-step' reference point system adapted to the road
It appears several people came to the same Point & Squirt conclusion. In the prehistoric era, an ex-Hendon instructor recommended it to me.
It's hardly surprising seeing as it draws on first principles - with the key one being 'don't put the bike where your eyes haven't already been'. Early apexes are essentially committing the rider to turning blind. I got that understanding from a series called Survival Arts in the old Motorcycle Sport and Leisure, which was actually penned by a despatch rider with some help from a bike plod. Once you figure that out, the late apex line becomes pretty obvious. And once you also realise that the on-off throttle 'chase the limit point' advice upsets bike stability and is best ditched, and that you're far better off turning RIGHT THROUGH a bend on steady but positive throttle and adjusting lean angle to cope with changes of radius, then it also becomes evident that all deceleration needs to be completed upright BEFORE steering, whilst also delaying harder acceleration till the bike is upright. And then you add in Code's reference points, suitably modd'ed for the road (which I haven't seen anyone else yet do).. then what you have is my Point & Squirt.
It was a great course – and I often recommend it to others. Due to my previous experience, what I got out of it was a refinement, not new techniques. While my cornering had been shaped by roadcraft and superbike school – and I understood the benefit of a late apex, for example – refinement matters. I think what separates excellence from mediocre skill is how well you do the basics. When I watch Manny Pacquiao box, he's got the same jab, cross, footwork and head movement as I have. But he does these basics a million time better than me! On the bike, I'm happy to keep striving to improve my basic skills to have fun and remain shiny side up.
If there's one word I'd say anyone wanting to improve their riding should aim for, it's consistency; the ability to do the same over and over. It doesn't matter whether you're a CBT level rider, or someone whose idea of good corner is leaving a bit of knee slider on every bend. If you can't ride consistently, you're going to end up in trouble!
If anyone's considering one of Spin's courses, I'd highly recommend it :thumbup:
Thank you :)
Back on topic, I'm concluding that RiDE should have advocated refinement of the basics, such as smoothness. Braking mid-bend uses up some of my attention - a finite resource!
Funnily enough, I wrote something about this recently. What does 'smooth' actually mean? It could mean unhurried. But more than anything it means knowing what the right technique is, then applying it accurately and consistently - right time, right place.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pmI haven't read the article (a scan would be good as I'm not dashing to a shop to buy it right now - I'd rather get a copy of the Beano with the pull-out 'Beano for grown-ups' special section actually ;)) ) but any brakes applied mid-corner destabilise the bike.
In its January 2021 issue, RiDE says: "I find using the back brake to be very useful in the wet. I will get all my normal braking done in a straight line and enter with a positive throttle, but applying gentle rear brake mid-corner, while still having a bit of positive throttle, allows you to tighten a line without loading the front tyre. It stresses the bike less than rolling off or leaning more and pulls the bike into the apex." Surely this advice isn't without risk? And it would use up some of my attention (a finite resource).
[/quote]

Like anything, techniques become more automatic the more you repeat them. The first time you ride a bike round a tight corner, and try to slip the clutch, control speed on the rear brake by balancing it against the forward drive, and counterweight to get the bike turning tight, it's going to take up nearly all your attention. After you've done it a few thousand times, it's as near automatic as possible. The key point is getting the skill so consistent that it's automatic.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 pm A lot of what I've taught has 'arrived' in different ways:
And that's important. One of the things I find frustrating is the "if it's not in Roadcraft, it can't be right" response from certain people.

Roadcraft isn't a bad book (with the proviso that I'm not talking about the current edition that I haven't read) but it's limited. It's mostly about defensive riding and has little to say about effective machine control - a lot of what it does talk about in that context is sub-DAS standard, frankly. It's also written from the "if you do everything right, nothing will go wrong" perspective, which is misleading too. We all make mistakes, and it doesn't prepare you for them.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

'Smooth' is the magic word, especially in the wet. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 pmAnd then you add in Code's reference points, suitably modd'ed for the road (which I haven't seen anyone else yet do)..
Ahem ...

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 pm - 1 2 3 from a 2hr session with someone who needed road reference points, so I had to invent something
I'm not sure that Code was solely responsible for devising reference points, more like making them consistent? I read TOTW in 88, so may have 'researched' the idea :)

1 2 3 is very simple
1 first sight of bend, start planning
2 turn in point, on a long bend tracking parallel
3 exit visible (NB verge clearly visible as mentioned earlier, 'losing' the surprise horizon)

When Beanie & Diablo did a session with me, they said it complimented your 'bend map'.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:13 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 pmAnd then you add in Code's reference points, suitably modd'ed for the road (which I haven't seen anyone else yet do)..
Ahem ...

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 pm - 1 2 3 from a 2hr session with someone who needed road reference points, so I had to invent something
I'm not sure that Code was solely responsible for devising reference points, more like making them consistent? I read TOTW in 88, so may have 'researched' the idea :)

1 2 3 is very simple
1 first sight of bend, start planning
2 turn in point, on a long bend tracking parallel
3 exit visible (NB verge clearly visible as mentioned earlier, 'losing' the surprise horizon)

When Beanie & Diablo did a session with me, they said it complimented your 'bend map'.
That's good to hear ;)

Your point 2 is actually the KC ENTRY, where the bend starts and you'd run off the road if you didn't steer.
3 is the KC TURN-IN where you can choose whether or not to straighten out the final section of the corner towards the exit (where you're upright, pulling a wheelie according to KC).

The key bit of understanding is that the entry and exit are fixed by the length of the bend... but the turn-in point moves. The longer the bend, the later it is.
The Spin Doctor

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 pm 'Smooth' is the magic word, especially in the wet. 👍
The magic bit is what gets most people.

As I said, it's about knowing what to do, where, why and how... then doing it consistently.

Get that right and suddenly... riders are magically smooth.
Horse

Post by Horse »

And at the point where you're rushed, not enough time, you get ragged.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 pm
Horse wrote: 2 turn in point, on a long bend tracking parallel
Your point 2 is actually the KC ENTRY, where the bend starts and you'd run off the road if you didn't steer.
3 is the KC TURN-IN where you can choose whether or not to straighten out the final section of the corner towards the exit (where you're upright, pulling a wheelie according to KC).
And '3' is one of the things I've altered over time, holding the line later, until the view really opens - rather than when the limit point lifting / running away / etc.

3 is also a paradox. You have turn tighter to gain a wider radius line, at a point where (if you're 'chasing' the LP) then you would be accelerating so potentially running wider ...

Oh, and if you have bits of bike dragging, your knee on the deck between 2 and 3, good luck with turning tighter :)
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm
And '3' is one of the things I've altered over time, holding the line later, until the view really opens - rather than when the limit point lifting / running away / etc.
I learned that one the hard way... accelerating into a delightful fast open left-hander, only to discover that the next bend was a VERY sharp right hander. I was not only drifting out as the left-hander opened up - and thus completely off-line for the next bend - but WAY too fast. I made it but only by exploring just HOW fast my FZ750's twin discs pulled it up when you howled the front tyre.
3 is also a paradox. You have turn tighter to gain a wider radius line, at a point where (if you're 'chasing' the LP) then you would be accelerating so potentially running wider ...
So you need a slower mid-corner speed to manage the fast steering input and the quick turn but once completed you're upright WAY earlier than the rider trying to carry speed THROUGH the corner by maxing out the radius. Whilst they are stuck at the speed that matches the radius of the turn, the deep in / quick steer approach has you upright again at which point you can accelerate - and because you're upright sooner, you don't even need a big handful of throttle to regain your speed onto the straight.

Oh, and if you have bits of bike dragging, your knee on the deck between 2 and 3, good luck with turning tighter :)
Slow IN, cautiously ROUND, fast OUT.

People forget the cautiously ROUND bit.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:00 pm I made it but only by exploring just HOW fast my FZ750's twin discs pulled it up when you howled the front tyre.
Must've been a post 1989 FZ, the earlier ones had pathetic brakes.
The Spin Doctor

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:42 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:00 pm I made it but only by exploring just HOW fast my FZ750's twin discs pulled it up when you howled the front tyre.
Must've been a post 1989 FZ, the earlier ones had pathetic brakes.
One of the last... a 1990 Genesis with full fairing, 17" wheels and the twin pot brakes. If looked after, they were pretty good.