The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ChrisW

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by ChrisW »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:19 pm One of those Knox armoured undershirts. I'd often thought one might come in handy and finally bought one.

It's ace. Really pleased with it. Although I've not tested it as such it seems very well made.
Just an update - first time today using it just over a t-shirt with no top layer. Soooo well ventilated, it was basically like wearing a t-shirt when you're riding a bicycle.

Tiny downside / advice - I got the Utility version as I thought the pockets might come in handy. Thing is, the pocket bags are cotton canvas or twill with no stretch so they're a pinch point if you get the jacket with a tight fit.

I unpicked the pockets.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

It's .22 air rifle, FX Dreamline Tacticle with a Vector Optics scope.

For anyone interested, the front dial does the regluator with low, medium and high settings. The rear dial does the hammer on a scale of 1-23. The gun was chrono'd in the shop this morning using JSB heavy pellets, Med and 7 was giving 24 joules which is the legal limit here (I think the UK limit is 16 joules). Same pellets at High and 23 gives 45 joules. It is legal to own the gun.

16 joules is approx 12 ft lbs
24 joules is approx 18 ft lbs
45 joules is approx 33 ft lbs
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

33ft lbs :shock: Are you planning a coup and assassinating EL Presidente! :D Nice bit of kit! :thumbup:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 pm 33ft lbs :shock: Are you planning a coup and assassinating EL Presidente! :D Nice bit of kit! :thumbup:
The problem with lots of power is that it can put the pellets supersonic, when that happens they tumble through the air and are much less accurate. I do have some heavy slugs to try though. The best way to do it is buy a chronograph to tune the speed of the rifle with different pellets. The bloke in the shop uses the same gun in 6.35 (7.62 is also available) and has a fancy night sight that can take videos. He's got one of him taking a head shot on a medium size boar and dropping it, he reckons his mate gets similar results with a .22 shooting slugs. I won't be trying though. shooting wildlife with air weapons is frowned upon, a rabbit fair enough, but a wounded boar wandering around would get reported and the Police will be aware I own the said rifle.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:34 pm Image

I've got an FX Dreamline but not the Tactical. I've thought about getting the tactical stock but I don't really need and I'm not sure one will be available here so haven't bothered. No power limits here so I've got a bigger plenum chamber 8-) and have a MTC 10x 30 prismatic scope fitted.

It's very accurate with a lovely trigger but I have a reduced shot count with the bigger plenum and pumping up is a pain (I've got a dive bottle as well but can only get that filled to 200 bar so have to top it off with a Hills pump.

I must chrono it sometime!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:23 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 pm 33ft lbs :shock: Are you planning a coup and assassinating EL Presidente! :D Nice bit of kit! :thumbup:
The problem with lots of power is that it can put the pellets supersonic, when that happens they tumble through the air and are much less accurate. I do have some heavy slugs to try though. The best way to do it is buy a chronograph to tune the speed of the rifle with different pellets. The bloke in the shop uses the same gun in 6.35 (7.62 is also available) and has a fancy night sight that can take videos. He's got one of him taking a head shot on a medium size boar and dropping it, he reckons his mate gets similar results with a .22 shooting slugs. I won't be trying though. shooting wildlife with air weapons is frowned upon, a rabbit fair enough, but a wounded boar wandering around would get reported and the Police will be aware I own the said rifle.
Can't you just squash them like anyone else?

Why did you go for an air rifle rather than a .22 rimfire rifle? I'm asking out of nosiness and for no other reason.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:45 pm
Pirahna wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:34 pm Image

I've got an FX Dreamline but not the Tactical. I've thought about getting the tactical stock but I don't really need and I'm not sure one will be available here so haven't bothered. No power limits here so I've got a bigger plenum chamber 8-) and have a MTC 10x 30 prismatic scope fitted.

It's very accurate with a lovely trigger but I have a reduced shot count with the bigger plenum and pumping up is a pain (I've got a dive bottle as well but can only get that filled to 200 bar so have to top it off with a Hills pump.

I must chrono it sometime!
I bought the Tactical because it has a picatinny rail and I have other stuff to fit it, I don't think the stock adds anything. I can get bottles pumped to 300 bar here, mine is a 7 litre, I've no idea how long it'll last. How do you find the MTC scope? They're a bit pricey here, cheaper in the UK
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

cheb wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:00 pm Why did you go for an air rifle rather than a .22 rimfire rifle? I'm asking out of nosiness and for no other reason.
A rimfire needs a license which means doing a few tests in Spanish, both written and with spoken. My Spanish is improving all the time but it's nowhere near that level. Rim fire ammo is about 20 cents a shot, pellets are cheap.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't shoot enough to consider the price of bullets vs pellets. If you want an air rifle in Scotland you have to have a licence and if I have to have a licence I might as well get one for a firearm.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:45 pm
I bought the Tactical because it has a picatinny rail and I have other stuff to fit it, I don't think the stock adds anything. I can get bottles pumped to 300 bar here, mine is a 7 litre, I've no idea how long it'll last. How do you find the MTC scope? They're a bit pricey here, cheaper in the UK

The MTC scope is brill!
I ordered it from Uttings and had it sent to a friend in UK to collect when I was over there. When I eventually opened it I found they had sent me the big brother 12x 50 prismatic scope but they only charged me for the 10 x 30. As I had time I ordered another one and that was the correct one. I brought both back to Turkey and the 12 x 50 is on my Hatsan gun and the 10 x 30 is where it was intended for, on the FX.

I could sell either or both of them of them tomorrow but I'm keeping them - the bigger one is still lighter than most regular scopes and as the Hatsan is quite a heavy beast it's a plus . I'd be reluctant to go back to a regular scope now - there's no eye relief with the prismatics, another plus for me.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

This is it, it's got a Huma regulator, the 600mm barrel, barrel band and Hugget mini silencer. The basic stock spoils the look of the gun but doesn't affect performance.

cheb

Post by cheb »

Minimalist, I like it. Quite Jackal-esque.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:59 pm The MTC scope is brill!
I ordered it from Uttings and had it sent to a friend in UK to collect when I was over there. When I eventually opened it I found they had sent me the big brother 12x 50 prismatic scope but they only charged me for the 10 x 30. As I had time I ordered another one and that was the correct one. I brought both back to Turkey and the 12 x 50 is on my Hatsan gun and the 10 x 30 is where it was intended for, on the FX.

I could sell either or both of them of them tomorrow but I'm keeping them - the bigger one is still lighter than most regular scopes and as the Hatsan is quite a heavy beast it's a plus . I'd be reluctant to go back to a regular scope now - there's no eye relief with the prismatics, another plus for me.
No problems bringing the scope back hand luggage? Wifey is over there in a couple of weeks but I would worry some twat at airport security wouldn't allow "firearms parts" though. It happend to a mate last year with a steel breech kit for a Crosman pistol.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Brought it over in hold luggage. I rarely travel to UK with just hand luggage, more usually an almost empty suitcase.

When I came back in Feb, my case was scanned at Dalaman and customs asked me to open it. They couldn't work out what they were looking at on the screen but it was all OK when I showed them the flat topped circular saw blade which is unavailable in Turkey. Thet ignored the pack of bacon :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Just bought some oil and a filter for my GS on t'bay from M&P.

The pleasing part was that eBay offered me a £5 off voucher code!

£44.99 for four litres of Putoline Boxer 5w40 and a filter.

Why is 5w40 so much more expensive than 10w40?
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

You want to try finding 5w60 at a reasonable price ending up getting it from these guys about 33% cheaper than everyone else. https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Very nice!

Skub

Post by Skub »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:07 pm Thet ignored the pack of bacon :D
Was that rescue bacon being sent to Trumps?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

21st century broadband.
Screenshot_20240624-193517_Chrome_copy_432x912.jpg
Screenshot_20240624-193517_Chrome_copy_432x912.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Just got to give BT the royal fuck off now.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:57 pm 21st century broadband.
Tomorrow I need to drill a couple of holes in walls for the cable then Skynet (Starlink) will be ready to go. Nowhere near those sort of speeds but a lot faster than the intermittent crap I've got at the moment.