Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:00 am Endorsements for major sporting events which have little or no relevance to the event, along the lines of...

"Hellman's Mayonnaise - the official egg-based salad dressing of the 2024 European Championships"

"Rexel - the official stapler of Team GB"
The most "honest" one of those was when one of the jazz-mags sponsored (IIRC) a BSB team.
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

I have a memory of Durex sponsoring an F1 car team and there being discussions about whether the car should be shown prewatershed.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:16 pm People who take photos of stuff with their massive shadow all over it.
It's pretty petty I know, but just shows a lack of attention to detail. If I'm thinking of buying something from you, and you claim it's self maintained, then it casts doubt on your abilities!
But some of the awful photos can make us laugh - like the one of the person selling an oven!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:28 am I have a memory of Durex sponsoring an F1 car team
Slogan:

"The small family car"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
dern

Post by dern »

Threads called "Guess what?!", "New bike day!!!", "Am I mad for wanting this?!" or something click batey on forums. Don't be tragically needy, put what the thread is about in the title.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

OMG!!! Streaming BBC on safari through a VPN - almost wish I'd never actually got the VPN!! It's so damned laggy (is that the right word?!).

Some programmes in a series will start halfway through with no option to start at the beginning.

And sometimes it will stop partway through with the twirly thing. Sometimes I can kick start it other times I have to close the whole tablet and restart.

FFS!!! It's taken over an hour to not watch a whole episode of Doctor Who!!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Which VPN are you using? I use expressVPN and there no difference in speed with it on or off. The speed is slow either way, about 4mbps last time I measured it.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:43 pm Which VPN are you using? I use expressVPN and there no difference in speed with it on or off. The speed is slow either way, about 4mbps last time I measured it.
I'm using Ghost. When I tried (I think) Express, it couldn't get me to watch BBC at all.

I turned off and cleared cookies and have watched the last episode in normal time (so far) - so, it's either a glitch on BBC, VPN or my iPad!! Just very frustrating!! LOL
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've noticed a few sites either make if difficult when using a VPN, the BBC being one of them, or some just won't load at all, one of the competition sites that gets posted on here for example.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:01 pm I've noticed a few sites either make if difficult when using a VPN, the BBC being one of them, or some just won't load at all, one of the competition sites that gets posted on here for example.
At least I've found out today that if I turn of and turn on the iPad, then I can sort it for a little while. So I suspect it's more to do with BBC than to do with the VPN. Am planning to try it on ITV tomorrow (to catch up on a different series!) so I'll see if they are any more difficult!! :lol:
Felix

Post by Felix »

IPVanish here and i get the BBC just fine. It obviously does not remember my cookies so not logged in.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

As I recommended cyberghost, on my android devices I have very little issue with it, occasionally might have to restart the vpn, but not that often.
Perhaps a change of browser/os might be the answer!
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I use Google Maps whilst on the bike, through habit mainly.

Looking for nearby petrol stations earlier today in the Peaks the nearest it found was a Morrisons 8 or so miles away. My brother was convinced there was one closer so tried with Apple Maps - yep, there was a Co-Op one less than 4 miles away.

Looked on Google again and all of the suggestions were Morrisons - made me wonder if their results are filtered/paid for?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:54 pm I use Google Maps whilst on the bike, through habit mainly.

Looking for nearby petrol stations earlier today in the Peaks the nearest it found was a Morrisons 8 or so miles away. My brother was convinced there was one closer so tried with Apple Maps - yep, there was a Co-Op one less than 4 miles away.

Looked on Google again and all of the suggestions were Morrisons - made me wonder if their results are filtered/paid for?
I had that sort of thing with Googlemaps the other weekend. Left my mates place and then thought that maybe I should fill up sooner than later as I'd passed a couple of stations that were closed. Google said 6 kms - didn't see one. By the time I found one I'd done about 50kms and was getting a smidge worried! LOL Everytime I stopped and checked google said there was a station within a few kms!! LOL
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:26 pm As I recommended cyberghost, on my android devices I have very little issue with it, occasionally might have to restart the vpn, but not that often.
Perhaps a change of browser/os might be the answer!
I'll maybe have a go with it on chrome and see. I'm kinda resigned for now but don't want to mess about with it all as there's a good possibility I might move in the next 6 months and maybe find a different solution.

Just got annoying this morning!! LOL
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Neighbour backing onto us and doing up their house has left a bird scaring device on in there back garden after reseeding the lawn, every few minutes its like a dying seagull crying out. It's doing my head in and started early this morning, I've been round too have a polite word but no one is in and the place is a building site so I'm not sure anyone will be back before the weekend when they seem to do most of the work.

If no-one is in tonight do I unplug the bloody thing or knock it into a million bits with a golf club?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Druid

Post by Druid »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:04 pm Neighbour backing onto us and doing up their house has left a bird scaring device on in there back garden after reseeding the lawn, every few minutes its like a dying seagull crying out. It's doing my head in and started early this morning, I've been round too have a polite word but no one is in and the place is a building site so I'm not sure anyone will be back before the weekend when they seem to do most of the work.

If no-one is in tonight do I unplug the bloody thing or knock it into a million bits with a golf club?
I think you have finally found a good use for a golf club :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Popping into the supermarket cos I needed a couple of things, but as it was only a couple of things, I didn't take a bag. Having bought yoghurt and a dozen eggs, I then proceeded to drop the eggs :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

I've broken/cracked all of them FFS

So, looks like I need to do a lot of baking/cooking tomorrow to use them up :( :(

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

And, I was thinking about cars again today. And based on the Dacia basic models being a bit budget, I thought I'd have a look at new prices to see how far they are away from what I kind of plan/want to spend (hopefully in October).

Yup I thought, new price is about 4 or 5k more than the original budget, but it'll last longer and in theory less issues than a second hand model with 100-150k kms on it.

Nope - the auto is actually 8+k more :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Dacia Spring is only £15k in the UK and an auto... What with it being electric.