Speeding NIP Advice Required...

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
mboy

Speeding NIP Advice Required...

Post by mboy »

Hi all

Embarrassingly I could do with a bit of legal advice...

A few weeks ago, I got caught exceeding the limit in a 50... I had forgotten it wasn't a 60 if I'm honest, and had been riding defensively to protect myself from the weekend warrior out to prove a point on his Ducati 1098 (couldn't keep up with me on the bends ironically, but sailed past me on double white lines on a straight road literally just before the point where I got clocked speeding).

I got sent this...

I admitted I was riding the bike of course, and then got sent this...

Nowhere does it say how fast I was actually going. Truth being told, I know I was exceeding 50mph, but honestly don't know by how much. I would be surprised if it was by more than 10mph anyway... I had forgotten it was a 50 but was genuinely more concerned for the fact an idiot on a Ducati had just gone blasting past on a solid white line...

The other concern is that nowhere does it state to offer me a speed awareness course (It was 12 years ago I last went on one). I thought that they always did this as an alternative to 3pts for anyone with a clean license...?

Any help/advice appreciated.
KungFooBob

Re: Speeding NIP Advice Required...

Post by KungFooBob »

I can't offer much advice.

But in your position I'd take the 3 points and £100. It's unlikely to add much to your insurance if you don't have any other points.

Draw a line under it and avoid all the stress.
dern

Post by dern »

You've probably exceeded the speed above 50 that they'll offer a course. You could email them at the address and ask if that's the case or just pay it.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:14 pm I can't offer much advice.

But in your position I'd take the 3 points and £100. It's unlikely to add much to your insurance if you don't have any other points.

Draw a line under it and avoid all the stress.
Seconded.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

I bagged a 50 in a 30 last year. It made very little difference to my insurance premium.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Poor obs.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Take the 3 points and £100 fine, do not go to court about it, the magistrates will give you a bigger fine.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

As above really, you're going to get points and a fine, so save yourself the hassle and accept them early doors.

I take it you don't have 9 points already that will take you above the 'ban' threshold though?
McNab

Post by McNab »

mboy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:09 pm
Nowhere does it say how fast I was actually going. Truth being told, I know I was exceeding 50mph, but honestly don't know by how much. I would be surprised if it was by more than 10mph anyway... I had forgotten it was a 50 but was genuinely more concerned for the fact an idiot on a Ducati had just gone blasting past on a solid white line...

The other concern is that nowhere does it state to offer me a speed awareness course (It was 12 years ago I last went on one). I thought that they always did this as an alternative to 3pts for anyone with a clean license...?

All of that should be on the original NIP that you didn't respond to. You've missed the chance of the awareness course by not requesting it at that stage.

I'm not really sure why someone on a ducati being a dick means you needed to go faster though.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

McNab wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:25 am
mboy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:09 pm

All of that should be on the original NIP that you didn't respond to. You've missed the chance of the awareness course by not requesting it at that stage.

I'm not really sure why someone on a ducati being a dick means you needed to go faster though.
:shock: :shock: I do - red mist :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

A S172 is an absolute offence which carries 6 pts. Do not ignore it!
Ask for the footage, pictures etc, just in case a fault was showing.
If that is all in order, pay up.
Skub

Post by Skub »

McNab wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:25 am I'm not really sure why someone on a ducati being a dick means you needed to go faster though.
Must haz winz. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

"our records show that we have not received a response from yourself"

*Shudder*

I'd go to court just to tell 'em that's shit wording!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:46 pm "our records show that we have not received a response from yourself"

*Shudder*

I'd go to court just to tell 'em that's shit wording!
Maybe an Irish court? Sure it's yerself. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
McNab

Post by McNab »

Sorry, that was unnecessarily judgemental of me. My day has not been going well.

I've probably done similar things.
exportman

Post by exportman »

For some free legal advice have a look on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php? These guys took over from Pepipoo
But at this point I agree with the previous comments unless your on 9 points I would pay up
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:34 am A S172 is an absolute offence which carries 6 pts. Do not ignore it!
I think, these days, you have to opt for the court option to see their evidence.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:22 pm
Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:34 am A S172 is an absolute offence which carries 6 pts. Do not ignore it!
I think, these days, you have to opt for the court option to see their evidence.
Guidelines state that the police should provide the evidence at the first available opportunity.
mboy

Post by mboy »

McNab wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:25 am All of that should be on the original NIP that you didn't respond to. You've missed the chance of the awareness course by not requesting it at that stage.

Did respond to the original NIP. Got lost in the post apparently. Have email conversation with them to this effect.

NOTHING was in the original NIP beyond what was in the follow up.

And seeing as you can't fucking read, I will explain it again... I was busy avoiding him as he was being a dick, had missed the 50mph signs (partially hidden by trees anyway) and hence hadn't slowed down as I wasn't aware it wasn't still an NSL road...

Which I fully accept is no defence...

My query here is regarding the fact they haven't provided me with either a claimed speed I was doing (forget any proof for the moment), nor have they offered me a statutory speed awareness course that they normally offer anyone else. I accept I was speeding. I would like to know how much by, and also why I have not been offered the course.
mboy

Post by mboy »

McNab wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:19 pm

Sorry, that was unnecessarily judgemental of me. My day has not been going well.

I've probably done similar things.
Fair enough, apology accepted.