Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mangocrazy

Re: Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Post by mangocrazy »

The standard lens is an 18-55mm zoom, and I was aware that the focal lengths are different in both shots, as is the angle I took them at. The XE-1 is a cracking little camera, light and small but with Fuji's famed colour balance.

I'm very interested in your mirrorless Nikon - does the absence of a mirror make a big difference? You won't get the 'clack', obviously and there should be shock and vibration improvements, but to be fair most camera manufacturers had got those issues sorted a long time ago.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We have a Nikon ZFC.

TBF by far the best/most useful thing is the lack of size! Mrs D uses it as an out-and-about Camera, it's great for that. We're not doing anything taxing enough to show its better than SLRs or anything else.

Live preview is great of course. She also does running photography gigs, the ultra fast burst is also good for that.

She was gifted a Nikon SLR and a whole load of lens by a friend who emigrated, hence the ZFC.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Nice! I can definitely appreciate the lack of size (and weight) thing. We were away in Italy for a long weekend at Cinque Terres and lugging a camera bag with two DSLR bodies and 4 lenses got really old really quickly. I was wishing I'd just taken the XE-1 after not very long...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

So today the VFR passed its MoT (with no advisories) and the dealer fitted the centre stand spring so I now have a working centre stand. Hooray!

Small victories...

I'd like to know how they manage to fit things like centre stand springs, as they've always defeated me.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I did the one on the Bonnie I think I had to hook the spring in place before bolting the stand in. That was the only way I could then have something to lever on/against to get the thing together.

I don't remember the details of what I was pushing on/against but I do remember the vague sequence :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yeah, I recall doing the LC's centre stand like that, but the layout of the VFR's stand, and the way the exhausts pass through the part of the stand near the frame mounting points meant it wasn't really an option.

I thik I'll Google 'spring expanders' and see what I get...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Don't they just use a spring puller and brute force?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I know how to get existing springs off so that they're easy to put back on, put pennies (coin of your choice) between the coils whilst it is in extension.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

actually no, you've got my memory

I rigged up a contraption with two bits of wire/cable, one to the ceiling joist and one to a 'stirrup', then I could use my bidy weight to expand the spring by stepping on into the stirrup. Then I wedged 1p coins in between teh coils of the open spring to hold it longer, installed it, then yanked the coins out with pliers.

Simple :D
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:16 pm Don't they just use a spring puller and brute force?
S'alot of force for a soft palmed office nancy like me.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:08 pm Yeah, I recall doing the LC's centre stand like that, but the layout of the VFR's stand, and the way the exhausts pass through the part of the stand near the frame mounting points meant it wasn't really an option.

I thik I'll Google 'spring expanders' and see what I get...
When I put the centre-stand on the Ed-80 I bolted on the stand, then was able to lever the spring on quite easily - because there's a large hex-nut head in just the right place to use as a locator for the screwdriver, and BMW, in their infinite wisdom, fit a metal clip between the end of the spring and the lug it fits onto on the frame: so - the lever (screwdriver) can go through the hole in the metal clip. Makes life very easy. :)

Part 3

The other way to do it is to use a length of thinnish line and route said line around something solid so you can pull the spring to length and hook it onto the lug (having a mate to help here is often useful!)
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:20 pm and BMW, in their infinite wisdom
I've no experience of working on a German bike, but I have worked on/lived with a couple of German cars (including BM) and I do have to say, they make a much better job of thinking these things through than most other OEMs IME :D
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:29 pm
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:20 pm and BMW, in their infinite wisdom
I've no experience of working on a German bike, but I have worked on/lived with a couple of German cars (including BM) and I do have to say, they make a much better job of thinking these things through than most other OEMs IME :D
I think it helps that BMW have been making bikes for so long... there's a huge amount of knowledge and experience within the organisation.

Obviously that would also apply to companies like Honda.

It does make you wonder though what they've been smoking over the years at Guzzi....
non quod, sed quomodo
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:16 pm Don't they just use a spring puller and brute force?
You may well be right. But I'm not really a brute force kind of chap...

Having said that, when I was installing the springs to hold two parts of the exhaust together I used a spring puller and ratchet strap in lieu of brute force. The strap was wrapped round the spring puller at one end and the forks at the the other end and I just manfully ratcheted away until the spring was sufficiently extended to pop it into position.

However the centre stand spring was hidden away in the bowels of the bike and there was no obvious way to use the same trick. So to the dealer it went.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

OK, time to 'fess up. I've bought another bike. Even though I don't have enough room for the bikes I've already got.

And even though I've already got the same make and model of bike.

It's an Aprilia Falco.

A guy I know through the Falco Massive was selling his Falco due to divorce and cardiac issues (not sure if the two are linked) and his Falco had some fairly tasty upgrades (OZ Racing forged ali wheels, Ohlins shock, Ohlins internals in the Showa forks, full Renegade exhaust system and Renegade airbox conversion).

The only problem is, it's been sat in his ex's garage since 2017, and having committed to buy it was a bit of a shock at first sight. Filthy, covered in cobwebs and hardly enough air in the tyres for it to be capable of being pushed. But eventually I got it home, gave it a damn good washing and there is actually a motorcycle underneath all that grime. There is still more grime to be removed, but it's getting closer to being sanitary.

No photographs yet (have you tried photographing a black bike with black screen, covered in grime, oil and dust?), but they will be forthcoming at some point.

Today's task was trying to get the bike on SORN. It was already on SORN when Pete owned it, but that lapses on change of ownership. I have the new V5C in my hand, but no matter how hard I try, the online SORN system will not accept the code that's on the V5C. So the only way to sort this and avoid potential prosecution is to ring up DVLA.

Deep joy.

It took me an hour and 5 minutes to get through to a live, warm human being. While I was waiting I checked the oil on the van, topped it up, fed the cat, went to the local 24 hr shop to buy a can of pineapple chunks (it's pizza night tonight), and unpacked the Soulwax vinyl and the 5 litres of 2T oil I ordered.

But after an hour and 5 doing a Blondie, all was resolved in a couple of minutes. So patience does have its own reward.

Just thought you'd like to know.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Much Against Everyone's Advice is a great album.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:07 am Much Against Everyone's Advice is a great album.
That was one, the other was Nite Versions.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You're a monster.

It's obvious why in that long post, I don't need to spell it out. ;)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:37 pm You're a monster.

It's obvious why in that long post, I don't need to spell it out. ;)
It's the pineapple, isn't it? :D