Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

Horse

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm Well yeah, that and endocrine, autocrine, cytokines, leptin, adiponectin etc. So yup, just burgers. :roll:
No idea what most of that is, apart from 'burgers'.

But you can add 'gut biome' to that list, proven by research. Or you might scoff at it (see what I did? :lol:
:clap: ).

Have we covered 'cheap food being crap' too?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm Well yeah, that and endocrine, autocrine, cytokines, leptin, adiponectin etc. So yup, just burgers. :roll:
+ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9138445/
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm
Try getting out of the other side of bed tomorrow eh?

Not sure what you mean by that remark, perhaps you could explain for me.

My little (made up) story was not about all the possible systems, proteins, hormones etc that may be at play but more along the lines of obese people don't want to try and make any changes. I could have told you about Fatty B, who followed his doctor's advice and got into a better overall condition or Fatty C or Fatty D.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Obesogens in Foods wrote: The study of obesogenic compounds in food is still in its early phase, and people are constantly exposed to obesogens, either directly from food or contaminated food. Regarding the objectives of food industry technologies, i.e., the extension of expiration dates, cost reduction, the best attainable palatability, optimization of production effectiveness, and food safety in terms of the absence of pathogens, over 4000 new substances have entered into foods. In most of the new substances, their impact on overall metabolic homeostasis remain unknown.
I'm probably wrong but isn't that saying that if you eat less, you'll eat less bad shit that is in your food and that you eat healthier you'll also eat less bad shit that is in your food. I suggest the 'move more' part of the mantra should be on a different thread.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:09 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:31 pm
Try getting out of the other side of bed tomorrow eh?

Not sure what you mean by that remark, perhaps you could explain for me.

My little (made up) story was not about all the possible systems, proteins, hormones etc that may be at play but more along the lines of obese people don't want to try and make any changes. I could have told you about Fatty B, who followed his doctor's advice and got into a better overall condition or Fatty C or Fatty D.
Tell any middle aged women it's ONLY about what you eat and how much exercise you do and nothing to do with hormones, gut health and a myriad of other things that go on in our systems and see the resulting distress/anger.

There are soooo many things that affect weight and not that many doctors that look for reasons other than "you eat too much and are lazy".

Yes, some people are fat because they eat too much but to say all 'fattys' are the same is incredibly narrow minded and a little offensive

Maybe a little like saying "all bikers that break the speed limit are stupid idiots that don't deserve any sympathy/treatment for any injuries or death" - I can't imagine anyone on here has NEVER broken a speed limit
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:24 pm
Obesogens in Foods wrote: The study of obesogenic compounds in food is still in its early phase, and people are constantly exposed to obesogens, either directly from food or contaminated food. Regarding the objectives of food industry technologies, i.e., the extension of expiration dates, cost reduction, the best attainable palatability, optimization of production effectiveness, and food safety in terms of the absence of pathogens, over 4000 new substances have entered into foods. In most of the new substances, their impact on overall metabolic homeostasis remain unknown.
I'm probably wrong but isn't that saying that if you eat less, you'll eat less bad shit that is in your food and that you eat healthier you'll also eat less bad shit that is in your food. I suggest the 'move more' part of the mantra should be on a different thread.
That particular study is only looking at the chemicals in food, so for that narrow exposure method yes, eat less food intake less chemicals, although eating 'healthier' is probably a red herring.
But does not take into account the clothes you're wearing, the air you're breathing, the water you drink or swim in, your cookware etc etc etc, they're in a lot of shit
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:32 pm
Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:24 pm
That particular study is only looking at the chemicals in food, so for that narrow exposure method yes, eat less food intake less chemicals, although eating 'healthier' is probably a red herring.
But does not take into account the clothes you're wearing, the air you're breathing, the water you drink or swim in, your cookware etc etc etc, they're in a lot of shit
the clothes you're wearing . . .
There are definitely some people who shouldn't wear lycra.
the air you're breathing . . .
To be fair, I think the air we're breathing is better than it was 50 years ago although there are probably different chemicals in the atmosphere that we know little about.
the water you drink or swim in . . .
I wonder if the NHS has been having a word with government about the amount of sewage that is being pumped into water courses and is also fouling a lot of beaches. If these things are a danger to public health then I would expect the National Health Service to be shouting that it must be stopped and those culpable, punished. I hear no shouting from the NHS.
your cookware . . .
Wasn't there a school of thought some years ago that aluminium cooking pots could be in the frame for a cause of dementia/Alzheimers? Of course were all using non-stick pans nowadays so while we may have lessened that particular issue we may have created another.

We wash our dishes with a non-ionic surfactant which as we all know keeps more things in suspension but could be killing us all slowly (very slowly of course because we are generally living longer).
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

A few years ago I read that there are now more obese people in the world than there are starving people. I.e. food is now so cheap that even poor people can afford to become obese.

And obesity does not cost the country. It's mostly a personal cost, fatties die younger and quicker, saving the NHS many years of geriatric care while saving the country the cost of their pensions.

From a government revenue perspective, obesity is a GOOD THING™.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:54 pm A few years ago I read that there are now more obese people in the world than there are starving people. I.e. food is now so cheap that even poor people can afford to become obese.

And obesity does not cost the country. It's mostly a personal cost, fatties die younger and quicker, saving the NHS many years of geriatric care while saving the country the cost of their pensions.

From a government revenue perspective, obesity is a GOOD THING™.
Shit food is cheap. Fresh fruit and quality meats are still dependably high in price...
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:55 pm Shit food is cheap. Fresh fruit and quality meats are still dependably high in price...
Reassuringly expensive, like Stella Artois. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:51 pm
I wonder if the NHS has been having a word with government about the amount of sewage that is being pumped into water courses and is also fouling a lot of beaches. If these things are a danger to public health then I would expect the National Health Service to be shouting that it must be stopped and those culpable, punished. I hear no shouting from the NHS.
OFWAT seem totally toothless, so I'm not sure the NHS having a hissy fit could achieve much.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:55 pm
Shit food is cheap. Fresh fruit and quality meats are still dependably high in price...
Depends where you live. I get fresh oranges, lime, lemon for free most of the year. September I'll get pomegranates, October I'll get enough almonds to last a year, November is olives, all taken to the bodega and exchanged for oil, I anticiptate 10 litres this year. The stuff I buy is all grown in Spain, is fresh and affordable. Wifey is veggie so I only eat meat in restaurants, we do buy fish and there's no end of decent quality stuff.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:02 pm
Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:51 pm
OFWAT seem totally toothless, so I'm not sure the NHS having a hissy fit could achieve much.
It's probably in the remit of the UK Health Security Agency anyway (it replaced Public Health England whose job it was to ' to protect and improve health and wellbeing and reduce health inequalities'). The CEO is Dame err Jenny err Harries....remember her? The err fluent err Covid talking head.

It's an executive agency within the Department of Health and Social Care and the Secretary of State was Victoria Atkins....who should have been having the hissy fit at whoever was responsible for water.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:55 pm
Depends where you live. I get fresh oranges, lime, lemon for free most of the year. September I'll get pomegranates, October I'll get enough almonds to last a year, November is olives, all taken to the bodega and exchanged for oil, I anticiptate 10 litres this year. The stuff I buy is all grown in Spain, is fresh and affordable. Wifey is veggie so I only eat meat in restaurants, we do buy fish and there's no end of decent quality stuff.
I'm deffo talking about here. I used to go to northern Spain every year for 20+ years and always found the cost of fresh food was lower and the quality higher.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well...where do you think them oranges in Tescos are from? :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

Who'd have thought that locally grown and harvested food is better quality and cheaper than imported food.

In 2003 I was in Greece and a fairly toity supermarket, Waitrose level, had turnips packed in pairs on polystyrene trays in their exotic vegetable section.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:30 pm Well...where do you think them oranges in Tescos are from? :D
Normally when in Spain we'd buy in the market off of some guy who drove his stuff in on a trailer pulled by his tractor! Out of interest, have you seen Simon Reeves program about the polytents?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06pqns2
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:25 pm
It's probably in the remit of the UK Health Security Agency anyway (it replaced Public Health England whose job it was to ' to protect and improve health and wellbeing and reduce health inequalities'). The CEO is Dame err Jenny err Harries....remember her? The err fluent err Covid talking head.

It's an executive agency within the Department of Health and Social Care and the Secretary of State was Victoria Atkins....who should have been having the hissy fit at whoever was responsible for water.
PS Guess what Victoria Atkin's hubby does for a living....

....he's Managing Director of British Sugar. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:25 pm

PS Guess what Victoria Atkin's hubby does for a living....

....he's Managing Director of British Sugar. :lol:
Ah yes, the sugar industry. If you want to know the origins of the "obesity epidemic" read this book: "Pure, White and Deadly" by John Yudkin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure,_White_and_Deadly
Pure, White and Deadly is a 1972 book by John Yudkin, a British nutritionist and former Chair of Nutrition at Queen Elizabeth College, London.[1] Published in New York, it was the first publication by a scientist to anticipate the adverse health effects, especially in relation to obesity and heart disease, of the public's increased sugar consumption. At the time of publication, Yudkin sat on the advisory panel of the British Department of Health's Committee on the Medical Aspects of Food and Nutrition Policy (COMA).[2] He stated his intention in writing the book in the last paragraph of the first chapter: "I hope that when you have read this book I shall have convinced you that sugar is really dangerous."[3]

The book and author suffered a barrage of criticism at the time, particularly from the sugar industry, processed-food manufacturers, and Ancel Keys, an American physiologist who argued in favour of restricting dietary fat, not sugar, and who sought to ridicule Yudkin's work.[2] In later years, Yudkin's observations came to be accepted.[note 1][2][4][5][6] A 2002 cover story about sugar by Gary Taubes in The New York Times Magazine, "What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?", attracted attention,[7] and the following year a World Health Organization report recommended that added sugars provide no more than 6–10% of total dietary intake.[8] In 2009 a lecture on the health effects of sugar by Robert Lustig, an American pediatric endocrinologist, went viral.[9] The subsequent interest led to the rediscovery of Yudkin's book and the rehabilitation of his reputation.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've been away for a couple of days and I'm now confused by this thread. Are we now saying we're voting for fatties or not voting for fatties?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!