CB300R visit to Tangmere RAF museum

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
roadster

CB300R visit to Tangmere RAF museum

Post by roadster »

The aircraft museum at Tangmere in Sussex is small and friendly with a decent little cafe too. It is also well situated for a ride up to Petworth on a good biking A road. This is perfect for the remarkably lively Honda single which continues to amaze with an engine capable of low rpm pottering but high speed screaming up to 10,000 rpm when needed.
DSCF5672.jpg
DSCF5672.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 593 times
This is a Supermarine Swift.
Count Steer

Re: CB300R visit to Tangmere RAF museum

Post by Count Steer »

A285?

'A driving route in Sussex has been named among the UK's most dangerous roads in a new list. The A285 between Petworth and Chichester in West Sussex has been included on the list of the top 10 most dangerous roads in the UK by JMW.'

Dunno who JMW are but I think this cropped up in a bike mag too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:17 am A285?

'A driving route in Sussex has been named among the UK's most dangerous roads in a new list. The A285 between Petworth and Chichester in West Sussex has been included on the list of the top 10 most dangerous roads in the UK by JMW.'

There's a solictors called JMW??

That A285 has several places that would measure as "high risk" between Chi and Petworth, not least Duncton Hill, Duncton itself, and Coultershaw Bridge. Most of it also has no runoff, so there's added risk there.

There's a list that is generated each year by the RSF (Road Safety Foundation), using the software that I help support: the list is actually published in "Safest first" order, but the press always go to the bottom of the list and pick the last 10 to publish a story about - it happens every year. This list is not based on accidents (well - not completely) - but on assessments of the attributes of the road itself (tarmac quality, distance to nearest object, presence of pavements, etc etc).

It could be that JMW have their own list of accident locations (from claims data)?
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:42 am

Could be. There is/was a car dealer called it too. The clip I used was from a local paper down that way. Apart from the bits you mentioned it's never seemed particularly :o to me. There are stretches where stuff pulling out from side roads can be a bit teeth clenching.
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Solicitors

Google finds:

https://www.jmw.co.uk/services-for-you/ ... s-roads-uk
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:47 am
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:42 am

Could be. There is/was a car dealer called it too. The clip I used was from a local paper down that way. Apart from the bits you mentioned it's never seemed particularly :o to me. There are stretches where stuff pulling out from side roads can be a bit teeth clenching.
Yep - side-road exits can be another factor that increases the overall risk level - depends a lot on the traffic levels.
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Ignore the safety kill joys, enjoy the A285 and Tangmere museum.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Whether a road is safe for a bike is entirely the responsibility of the rider. There are those, often riding in groups, who treat roads in this area like a race track. That's their choice but I am not one of them. This particular road has great views, tight bends, and steep hills. There will be cars travelling slowly that might not see you but you can see them and its no good being right but dead!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:47 pm Ignore the safety kill joys, enjoy the A285 and Tangmere museum.
Got the wrong end of the stick there. I probably didn't make it clear but, having ridden, driven it a lot I'm more puzzled as to why it's on the list rather than indulging in a bit of pearl clutching about safety.

It's got some interesting and scenic bits but otherwise it's not particularly remarkable.
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:15 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:47 pm Ignore the safety kill joys, enjoy the A285 and Tangmere museum.
Got the wrong end of the stick there. I probably didn't make it clear but, having ridden, driven it a lot I'm more puzzled as to why it's on the list rather than indulging in a bit of pearl clutching about safety.

It's got some interesting and scenic bits but otherwise it's not particularly remarkable.
What he said.

It's not a particularly dangerous road, i suspect that might actually contribute to accidents because road users get complacent.
non quod, sed quomodo