Rear brake advocated for cornering in the wet

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

Re: Rear brake advocated for cornering in the wet

Post by Hot_Air »

RiDE, January 2021 issue, page 21 wrote: I find using the back brake to be very useful in the wet. I will get all my normal braking done in a straight line and enter with a positive throttle, but applying gentle rear brake mid-corner, while still having a bit of positive throttle, allows you to tighten a line without loading the front tyre. It stresses the bike less than rolling off or leaning more and pulls the bike into the apex.
I can't fathom what he means about "it stresses the bike less". What matters is grip, which is affected by things like weight transfer and smoothness. Either braking or easing off the throttle will transfer weight forwards and, therefore, increase front tyre grip at the expense of the rear. But RiDE's rationale that "it stresses the bike less" is meaningless to me :?:
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pmYou're not giving it a heavy boot, just enough to prevent uncontrolled wheelspin.
Fair enough, and I know you speak from experience. Presumably, you're being careful to avoid reducing speed despite applying one of the brakes. Otherwise, you'd be transferring weight forwards (thereby reducing rear tyre grip).

Sadly, RiDE's technique is neither Spin's method for mitigating wheelspin nor trail braking. Without cornering ABS, I feel RiDE's advocacy for applying the back brake mid-bend on a rainy road risks disaster for riders who are new or can't use the rear brake sufficiently gently. What could possibly go wrong :roll: ?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:12 pm
RiDE, January 2021 issue, page 21 wrote: I find using the back brake to be very useful in the wet. I will get all my normal braking done in a straight line and enter with a positive throttle, but applying gentle rear brake mid-corner, while still having a bit of positive throttle, allows you to tighten a line without loading the front tyre. It stresses the bike less than rolling off or leaning more and pulls the bike into the apex.
I can't fathom what he means about "it stresses the bike less". What matters is grip, which is affected by things like weight transfer and smoothness. Either braking or easing off the throttle will transfer weight forwards and, therefore, increase front tyre grip at the expense of the rear. But RiDE's rationale that "it stresses the bike less" is meaningless to me :?:
The only way you'd 'tighten the line' mid-corner is either a) lean more or b) go slower... so I am assuming that he's using the rear brake to slow down to get the bike turning on a progressively tighter radius.

If you slow by rolling off whilst leaned over you compress the forks / front tyre neither of which do the steering any favours - the idea that weight transfer gives the front tyre more grip isn't one that Code agrees with, which is why he talks about getting on the power through the corner to get the front steering. In my experience in the wet on a road bike on road tyres, rolling off mid-corner - let alone braking - the bike feels 'edgy'. I assume that is down to 'slip angles'. Tyres don't stick perfectly, they move laterally OUTWARDS as they follow a curved path because the rubber itself slips, tears and flexes - each tread block moves just a wee bit further out. When you're on the power, tyres are designed so that the rear slip angle exceeds that of the front - the front tyre feels planted. But go in on a closed throttle and front slip now exceeds rear and the front feels like it's about to go out from under. That's the best way I can explain it.

I think what he's suggesting is that by using rear brake, you get the bike to 'squat' rather than go nose-heavy, which presumably eases the slip angle at the front to help with a planted feel... but you'd have to be applying the brake and losing some speed, and I can't see the point - go in slower, and when you see where you want to go next, turn the bike tighter deeper in the turn and get it upright and on the throttle again.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pmYou're not giving it a heavy boot, just enough to prevent uncontrolled wheelspin.
Fair enough, and I know you speak from experience. Presumably, you're being careful to avoid reducing speed despite applying one of the brakes. Otherwise, you'd be transferring weight forwards (thereby reducing rear tyre grip).

Sadly, RiDE's technique is neither Spin's method for mitigating wheelspin nor trail braking. Without cornering ABS, I feel RiDE's advocacy for applying the back brake mid-bend on a rainy road risks disaster for riders who are new or can't use the rear brake sufficiently gently. What could possibly go wrong :roll: ?

Yep, with my technique, you're maintaining steady speed or very moderate increase to keep the slip angle higher at the rear, you're just balancing out the drive from the throttle with the rear brake. If you want to brake, you do it properly - closed throttle, both brakes, with the amount of front brake determined by how much lean you're using. Upright, you can brake firmly with the front, at a big lean angle there's only a very limited amount of spare grip.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm I just tap the brake and the shaft spins the other way which nicely counteracts any skidding.
Countershafting. We all do it, subconsciously.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pmthe idea that weight transfer gives the front tyre more grip isn't one that Code agrees with, which is why he talks about getting on the power through the corner to get the front steering.
If so, then Keith Code is mistaken. Weight transfer onto the tyre increases the downward force on it, which increases traction.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm If you slow by rolling off whilst leaned over you compress the forks [...] In my experience in the wet on a road bike on road tyres, rolling off mid-corner - let alone braking - the bike feels 'edgy'. I assume that is down to 'slip angles'.
I don't believe it's down to slip angles. As the brakes are applied, and the weight shifts forward, the forks compress. This compression changes the steering geometry – decreasing stability, which is why the bike can feel 'edgy'. But it also means the bike changes direction more readily, doesn't it?
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm Code … talks about getting on the power through the corner to get the front steering.
Are you sure it's Code's reasoning?* Acceleration-while-turning increases the bike's cornering radius!

When banked over, forces from the front brake and the deceleration causes the bike to lean. In contrast, the back brake generates a torque that tends to straighten and stabilise the motorcycle. So I think RiDE is giving bad advice about apply the rear brake mid-corner (but I'm happy to be corrected). And on a wet road especially, you're adding crash-risk because the tyre's grip is split between braking and cornering forces. Your advice is much better than RiDE's, and in line with what I learnt from Code's superbike school:
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pmgo in slower, and when you see where you want to go next, turn the bike tighter deeper in the turn and get it upright and on the throttle again.
* It's not what I remember from doing Code's superbike school, but I may have forgotten because it was some years ago. Is this reasoning in one of his books?
Last edited by Hot_Air on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

IIRC the explanation is that weight distribution increased on the front may well shorten the wheelbase (my predictive text says 'wheelbarrow ') and steepen the steering angle - but it also squishes the tyre, making steering harder.

But, as before, I'll wait for Spin to confirm :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm The only way you'd 'tighten the line' mid-corner is either a) lean more or b) go slower...
Backing it in using the gearbox or rear brake "tightens the line" I don't think I'd want to try it mid corner though rather than on corner entry, and it's a something to do on dirt bikes, not road bikes, also it makes crashing a lot more likely.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Horse Why does squishing the tyre make steering harder? Surely it makes steering easier because of increased front tyre traction?

I know the vehicle dynamics are completely different in a car, but I've done a lot of track time and race school on four wheels. In the car, you can change direction by using the throttle to steer. Transfer weight onto the front tyres, and the car will turn tighter. It makes steering easier, not harder. (More weight on the front tyres increases their traction.) I can't see how this specific dynamic would be any different on a bike, but I don't have the same knowledge of motorcycle dynamics.
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am I don't think I'd want to try it mid corner though rather than on corner entry, and it's a something to do on dirt bikes, not road bikes, also it makes crashing a lot more likely.
Thanks @Julian_Boolean :thumbup: and that's what thought. I'm baffled why RiDE recommends braking mid-corner, not on corner entry. And I agree about it making crashing more likely - the only time I flipped a car on track was when I was learning how to trail brake.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 am @Horse Why does squishing the tyre make steering harder? Surely it makes steering easier because of increased front tyre traction?
Pls note 'wait for Spin' ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm The only way you'd 'tighten the line' mid-corner is either a) lean more or b) go slower...
Backing it in using the gearbox or rear brake "tightens the line" I don't think I'd want to try it mid corner though
I wonder whether you are interpreting this as meaning something more extreme.

I think (see caveat in post above) that Spin is simply referring to the balance between lean and speed. Close the throttle/brake, the bike shows, so 'falls' into the turn.
Le_Fromage_Grande

You can use the throttle to steer a bike, it's how speedway bikes steer, it's something to learn on a dirt bike and race track, I don't think it's a good idea to practice it on the road, though it's not difficult to do once you've learnt how on dirt, but I know I'm slower rear wheel steering than riding smoothly with the wheels inline.

As for when a bike is easier to steer, it's such a complicated subject, lots of people have theories, but the only way you'll know is to go out and try it, for me bikes aren't easy to steer with the front end compressed, they tip in faster, but I prefer the steering when the forks are sitting at their natural height. Supermotos are really good for emphasising how a bike steers under braking, probably due to the long travel forks, huge brake and loads of front grip, turning a supermoto with the brakes hard on is not easy, it flops into the corner and really doesn't want to turn, you're better off coming off the brake, letting the front end extend and then turning.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 am
Backing it in using the gearbox or rear brake "tightens the line" I don't think I'd want to try it mid corner though
I wonder whether you are interpreting this as meaning something more extreme.

I think (see caveat in post above) that Spin is simply referring to the balance between lean and speed. Close the throttle/brake, the bike shows, so 'falls' into the turn.
I was being pedantic, I wasn't really being serious, there's a big difference between what I can get away with on a dirt bike and what I can do on a tarmac bike, and I'd never be that aggressive on the road - it'd end in pain for me.
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pmthe idea that weight transfer gives the front tyre more grip isn't one that Code agrees with, which is why he talks about getting on the power through the corner to get the front steering.
If so, then Keith Code is mistaken. Weight transfer onto the tyre increases the downward force on it, which increases traction.
In a straight line, yes. But think about what's happening in a corner. If you're slowing, you're also increasing the vector force that makes the tyre want to slide out. I'm not good enough to do the maths - I think it's in Vitori Cossalter's book - but it should be pretty obvious that if you're leaned over whilst braking THEN hit a zero grip surface, all the downward force in the world won't create any traction since the surface isn't giving its part of the deal. You'll crash. If you're 'only' steering, then you'll still lose grip but it won't be as dramatic.

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm If you slow by rolling off whilst leaned over you compress the forks [...] In my experience in the wet on a road bike on road tyres, rolling off mid-corner - let alone braking - the bike feels 'edgy'. I assume that is down to 'slip angles'.
I don't believe it's down to slip angles. As the brakes are applied, and the weight shifts forward, the forks compress. This compression changes the steering geometry – decreasing stability, which is why the bike can feel 'edgy'. But it also means the bike changes direction more readily, doesn't it?
I'm pretty sure that I covered this with you in the theory session before one of your courses. I've also covered it fairly extensively on my FB page, and on TRC.

This 'bikes steer faster on the brakes' stuff is another myth showing that the people who write this stuff for magazines don't understand what's going on. The bike changing direction 'more readily' is simply the result of the machine turning on a progressively tighter radius as the bike slows, and nothing to do with the geometry.

In fact, it works the other way, thanks to the fact that your front tyre is flexible and compressible. As you brake and load up the front, the very effect that's giving you more grip - the wider contact patch, is also making the bike more reluctant to steer.

Think about where the contact patch contacts the ground. Upright, it's directly in line with the steering axis.

But as you lean, the contact patch moves sideways out of line with the steering axix.

This creates a torque that tries to turn the front wheel INTO the corner - it's this torque that creates the self-centring steering. If you take your hands off the bars when the bike is leaned over, this torque steers the bike upright again. It's also why you need to maintain a reduced counter-steering pressure on the inside bar to MAINTAIN lean through a corner - that offset contact patch is creating a torque trying to steer the bike upright again.

Now try this - brake hard in a straight line and try to steer - you'll find it much more difficult to get the bike to move off line because you've flattened the tyre - the result is that the moment there's any lean in the wheel, the contact patch moves much further to one side or the other and in turn creates a greater self-centring torque.

Now try this - brake hard whilst leaned over and feel what happens - the weight transfer flattens the tyre, and moves the contact patch further out of line with the steering axis, which generates a greater self-centring torque which steers the bike upright... which is why so many riders who panic mid-corner run wide.

Lastly try this - get all your braking done upright, get back on the throttle UPRIGHT, and THEN steer. Now, there's no extra loading on the front tyre, the contact patch gets skinny and when you lean, the offset is closer to the steering axis, which minimises the self-centring torque trying to steer the bike upright... which means you only need finger-tip pressure to steer the bike.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm Code … talks about getting on the power through the corner to get the front steering.
Are you sure it's Code's reasoning?* Acceleration-while-turning increases the bike's cornering radius!
Interesting that you should be pointing that out whilst not spotting that deceleration DECREASES cornering radius! :D

a) perhaps I should have said "you apply some throttle". Due to vector effects if you run into a corner at constant speed (and assume zero friction and no power input) the bike would decelerate. So it's necessary to apply some throttle to maintain speed.

b) Code is talking about the track but his point is that you pick a point to roll on the throttle, then you continue to roll on progressively as the lean angle reduces - you don't chop and change throttle settings once leaned over because the fore-aft loading in the suspension which happens AT THE SAME TIME as the suspension is absorbing cornering forces will destabilise the bike. That makes good theoretical and practical sense to me [and incidentally this is why the advice in Roadcraft about opening and closing the throttle mid-corner as the limit point moves around is - IMO - completely wrong. The way to adjust to moderate changes in radius is to enter the corner with plenty of stopping distance in hand and then match LEAN ANGLE to the radius whilst maintaining speed, rather than try to maintain lean angle by changing SPEED. It obeys the basic stability rule of separating anything that makes the bike do a rocking horse impersonation from angle of dangle.]

Yes, Code's progressive acceleration pushes the bike onto a wider line but that allows you to exploit the width of a circuit. The problem on the road is a narrow lane a fraction of the width of a circuit which is why I talk about applying a bit of positive throttle right through the corner to maintain or very slightly increase speed, but delaying harder acceleration until the bike is upright and pointed where you want to go next.
When banked over, forces from the front brake and the deceleration causes the bike to lean.
As explained, quite the opposite.
In contrast, the back brake generates a torque that tends to straighten and stabilise the motorcycle.
I don't see how it 'straightens' the bike. There are gyroscopic effects since the wheel's fixed in the swing arm, and the swing arm only moves vertically with respect to the chassis, but decelerating would reduce them. I'm guessing that applying the rear brake causes the bike to 'squat' at the rear which means less forward weight transfer which means less loading on the tyre resulting in less deformation of the contact patch and less of the self-centring torque effect I've just described. So the bike doesn't try to sit up so much when decelerating.

So I think RiDE is giving bad advice about apply the rear brake mid-corner (but I'm happy to be corrected).
I haven't read the article (a scan would be good as I'm not dashing to a shop to buy it right now - I'd rather get a copy of the Beano with the pull-out 'Beano for grown-ups' special section actually ;)) ) but any brakes applied mid-corner destabilise the bike.
And on a wet road especially, you're adding crash-risk because the tyre's grip is split between braking and cornering forces.
ANY cornering is a split between forces. We just dial in the ratio. At a constant lean, we've balanced straight line momentum which wants to throw the bike OUT of the turn with gravity that wants to pull it DOWN, but we have to use the tyres' grip (at both ends) to keep the bike on that smooth curve where the 'out' and the 'down' forces are perfectly balanced. The trouble is that the SURFACE can upset this, because we rely on the coefficient of friction between the two to generate the force that keeps the bike steering - what's why we have to reduce lean angles on a wet surface.
Your advice is much better than RiDE's, and in line with what I learnt from Code's superbike school:
:)
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pmgo in slower, and when you see where you want to go next, turn the bike tighter deeper in the turn and get it upright and on the throttle again.
* It's not what I remember from doing Code's superbike school, but I may have forgotten because it was some years ago. Is this reasoning in one of his books?
Nope. It's my own Point and Squirt, which you covered on my course.

It is partially based on Code, though, since I use a modified version of his 'two-step' reference point system adapted to the road (with narrow lanes, remember) where the point in the bend where you gain sight of the EXIT (where you can - as Code puts it - "pull a wheelie because the bike is upright pointed where you want to go next) is the point where you TURN-IN to the corner, cutting across from the wide 'vision line' onto a straighter line that takes you out of the corner (if other issues allow). The other point, you should remember, is the ENTRY where the bend forces you to steer or run off the road. So essentially, you do in slower and square-off the corner late on, then get on the gas early and out of the bend faster - you point it THEN you squirt it.

It's the opposite of the 'racing line. It's sometimes called the 'late apex' line, because you don't cut across the turn for a mid-corner apex as you would on a corner between two straights on the track. Interestingly, I have a video from about 2005 from West Midlands BikeSafe where the commentary talks about 'widening the line' through bends to 'reduce the load on the tyres', then shows the same rider doing a perfect deep in / late turn 'Point and Squirt'.

This late apex P&S line was covered in Bike some years ago by one of the Rapid trainers but it's what I've been talking about online since 1994 on Compuserve and my webpages, and it's what I've been teaching on my courses since I set up Survival Skills in 1997.
Last edited by The Spin Doctor on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Spin Doctor

Backing it in using the gearbox or rear brake "tightens the line" I don't think I'd want to try it mid corner though rather than on corner entry, and it's a something to do on dirt bikes, not road bikes, also it makes crashing a lot more likely.
??

[EDIT] Ah, OK just seen your 'not really serious' post! Phew. [/EDIT]
Last edited by The Spin Doctor on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Spin Doctor

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:20 am You can use the throttle to steer a bike, it's how speedway bikes steer, it's something to learn on a dirt bike and race track, I don't think it's a good idea to practice it on the road, though it's not difficult to do once you've learnt how on dirt, but I know I'm slower rear wheel steering than riding smoothly with the wheels inline.
I'm fairly sure you know that's not what I'm talking about at all. It's the diametric opposite of what I'd be doing on the road (though I have to admit to discovering my brother's TE610 Huski on its Michelin off-road competition tyres used to rear wheel steer on the throttle on the road. Great fun :) )

As for when a bike is easier to steer, it's such a complicated subject, lots of people have theories
There's also plenty of demonstrable fact around too. It's complex, that's for sure. But the main complications come from writers who make basic errors - another classic is saying "standing up lowers the centre of mass" - they obviously never got past Physics 101 if they really think that.
, but the only way you'll know is to go out and try it, for me bikes aren't easy to steer with the front end compressed, they tip in faster, but I prefer the steering when the forks are sitting at their natural height. Supermotos are really good for emphasising how a bike steers under braking, probably due to the long travel forks, huge brake and loads of front grip, turning a supermoto with the brakes hard on is not easy, it flops into the corner and really doesn't want to turn, you're better off coming off the brake, letting the front end extend and then turning.
I too did a lot of riding on bikes with long travel forks that really didn't like steering with the brakes on.
Le_Fromage_Grande

"another classic is saying "standing up lowers the centre of mass" - they obviously never got past Physics 101 if they really think that."

Agreed, there's no way standing up while riding a bike lowers the centre of mass, but it does make it easier to ride a bike at low speed, I've no idea why, possibly a leverage thing or maybe because you're using your feet to balance and not your bum.

I try not to think too much about my riding and how I do things because I end up over analysing it and then worrying about whether I'm riding correctly rather than getting on with enjoying riding a bike, I learnt by trial and error - there was a lot of error, but it was mostly on a YZ125 that didn't really get damaged and I was young and recovered quickly.

I think I've gone off at a complete tangent on this thread so feel happy to ignore my posts and go back to talking about using the rear brake mid corner, I think I understand what Spin is saying on this and if I do I agree with him, I don't know if I could practically do it, and in the wet I'm far more concerned about the front slipping than the back, so anything that takes some load off the front tyre is good
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When it's raining, you should be in the car :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm it does make it easier to ride a bike at low speed, I've no idea why, possibly a leverage thing or maybe because you're using your feet to balance and not your bum.
I wonder whether it 'uncouples' your mass from the bike? Then, if the bike weaves or slides, there's less mass doing it.
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm I try not to think too much about my riding and how I do things because I end up over analysing it and then worrying about whether I'm riding correctly rather than getting on with enjoying riding a bike
Unfortunately, many people don't learn by experience, some don't survive it. Perhaps better that people get good information from the start and then on through their career?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:20 am You can use the throttle to steer a bike, it's how speedway bikes steer, it's something to learn on a dirt bike and race track
There was a post on LinkedIn a little way back (I sent Spin a link) by someone doing modelling/simulation of motorcycle stability.

He had contacted a GP rider, asking about controlling a bike when sliding the rear wheel?

The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, was "counter-steering".

However, I guess that what's simple for a GP rider is slightly more complicated ...
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm I always thought it was "do all braking before the corner" then accelerate out. Trailing the rear brake is great for slow speed work .... and setting up for corner.

On my old GS Adventure, with a paralever front end, you could brake wherever you wanted to. On the Ducati 998s , if you did that, it tried to kill you....
Yup.
(Paralever is the rear end btw. ;) Telelever is the front end on an R1100+GS.)

I'm not sure about braking mid-corner with the rear, but IIRC on my BMF part 1/Part2 course we were taught to use the rear 'more' in the wet as a rear wheel slide is slightly less discombobulating than a front wheel slide, but I think that was more intended for straight line braking.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:23 pm I'm not sure about braking mid-corner with the rear, but IIRC on my BMF part 1/Part2 course we were taught to use the rear 'more' in the wet as a rear wheel slide is slightly less discombobulating than a front wheel slide, but I think that was more intended for straight line braking.
From that era it was heavily Roadcraft influenced content, from the days of Bakelite tyres.

Although explained as 75/25 in the dry, 50/50 in the wet, it should really have been 25/25 ie less on the front.

Bike magazine gave the lie to that, with a lovely photo of a bike doing an almost vertical stoppie, headlight shining off the wet surface.