Car thread - which one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

Re: Car thread - which one?

Post by Mr Moofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:52 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:49 pm Turbo I presume ?
I'm guessing that the non-turbo version doesn't have 'hilarious turbo lag'?
Skim read - good point well made.
Off to see how you ban someone 😉
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You have to wait for them to install it on the non turbo version.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yes indeed, the Porsche 930 is the turbo, to say a 930 Turbo is a tautology, because only the turbo is called a 930, so you either say turbo or 930, but it's a massive faux pas in Porsche circles to say 930 turbo.

I thought that if I spend that sort of money it would be a Ferrari but the air-cooled Porsches give me the same feeling as riding my old bikes, hard to describe but they've got soul, if that makes any sense and it was a poster car for me as a kid, so I had to buy it in the end. I could have bought a nice Ferrari 458 for the money I paid for it, so it was a difficult choice, because I'd like one of those too, but the Porsche was more enjoyable to drive.

It might appreciate in value, I could have bought the same car six/seven years ago for about fifty grand less, they shot up recently, so hopefully they'll keep going up now I've bitten the bullet and bought one.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I was very tempted to buy something like this, but they're disappointing when I had a play, they are like a Ford Capri to drive.
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 5.57.47 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 5.57.47 PM.jpg (486.95 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Then there was one of these (looks lovely but no soul, like driving a quick Mondeo)...
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.00.31 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.00.31 PM.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 302 times

And multiple 355's which were nice to be fair, but not as nice as the 930.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I thought all of that series Porsche 911s were 930s, regardless of whether they have turbos or not, or whether they're narrow or wide bodied, though the racing versions are 934 and 935, so the road going ones could have a range of numbers.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My experience of them was a bit earlier and then they were all called 911s. TBH the turbo was the worse one to drive, 4 speed, wooden brakes and the notorious turbo lag. So a 911 Targa was nicer to drive witha 5 speed box as well, but a turbo wins for its looks with its big rear arches and well, the turbo! :D Also known as a pendulum as the were so rear end heavy. A lovely bit of motoring history to own though. look forward to some write ups and pics,
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Which model has the picnic table on the back?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Only the turbo is designated a 930, anything else is something different.

Its a cliche but they’re marmite, or an acquired taste, it’s like riding an old bike, you like it or you don’t. For me it’s definitely been an acquired taste, it’s soul and character won me over because of how much fun it is.

My mate owns a Porsche garage and since the 80s he’s personally owned about a dozen and he said (like any 80s supercar) they all drive shit when compared with something newer, so you have to want one - it’s like my old Defender, you love it or you hate it, rarely anything in between.

A large part is nostalgia, I dreamed about having one as a teenager and now as a fifty year old teenager I have the ridiculous money these are fetching, so I thought why not, I could have bought lots of things with a couple of hundred grand but this is what I want and you’re a long time dead.

Oh and I bought the last ever version of the 930 with the 5 speed gearbox put in only for that year, all other years had a 4 speed as Taipan says but the 5 speed Getrag is considered superior, which is why for me it had to be an ‘89 car.
Last edited by Potter on Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:03 pm Which model has the picnic table on the back?
Various depending on spec, it's standard on some models but an option on others and not available on others - I think it's most famous on the iconic Turbo but you also get them on the SC or Supersport versions. Porsche are the Samsung of cars, there are that many different versions it's nuts, then aside from all the options list stuff there is the special projects division, I can't remember what it's called (if it still exists) where if you had enough money they'd make you something special, they still might but you're probably talking millions.

The early ones were called a whale tail but the shape got changed and afterwards it gets called a tea tray.
But there is also a “duck tail” I think there are four different shapes.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was passed by a Lambo Huracan on the Dronfield bypass
during yesterdays commute home.

It looked great, expensive reg plate (150 Y), the roof was off... Funny thing was the guy driving it couldn't have driven it with the roof on, his head was stuck up above the top of the windscreen, I bet he got some flies in his teeth!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:56 pm I bought the 1989 Porsche 930, the last version with the Getrag G50.
No pictures for a while because even though it's a six figure motor, it's still 35yrs old and it's gone to the Porsche place to be refreshed back to like new.
I'll get it back in a few months.
JOOC … having spent 200+ on it, what are you having improved, that previous careful and fussy owners haven’t already done? And is there an actual budget at all, at all, or is it just “whatever”?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Wossname wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:24 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:56 pm I bought the 1989 Porsche 930, the last version with the Getrag G50.
No pictures for a while because even though it's a six figure motor, it's still 35yrs old and it's gone to the Porsche place to be refreshed back to like new.
JOOC … having spent 200+ on it, what are you having improved, that previous careful and fussy owners haven’t already done? And is there an actual budget at all, at all, or is it just “whatever”?
I was also wondering if the cost of a refresh is money down the drain, I'm guessing it's rather more than a service and detailing.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:57 am
I was also wondering if the cost of a refresh is money down the drain, I'm guessing it's rather more than a service and detailing.
From watching things like Chasing Classic Cars quite a lot, the answer is "it depends"... If you want to have perfect, it'll cost... but someone will pay higher money for perfect in the future too.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Years ago I used to work near a Jag restoration place. A lot of their day-to-day stuff was giving new purchases a freshen up for their new owners. They'd go through it from end to end and make sure every that should move did as it should and nothing that shouldn't move did. Also report on non oem parts or modifications etc.

A lot of these classics sit about and things perish and you get rust on surfaces etc. IMO its a good move from Potter to get it checked over regardless of condition and history. Its a chunk of change sitting on your drive and needs to be kept right. :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:57 am
It's money I'll probably never get back, pure spending just because I can, sort of stuff.

My mate (that I've known all my life) owns a respected Porsche dealers/builders/fixers and he's well known, he has a big Indy garage, plus gets flown around the world to build custom Porsches for people, he's been my guidance on buying it, so it would be bordering on reckless of me not to give it to him and tell him to go right through it. It has a couple of bits of corrosion around the bottom of the windscreen and one door pillar, which is apparently par for the course and "they all do that Sir" but time consuming and expensive to do it right - the emphasis here is do it right, not just fill it and touch it up.

I told him to go right through it like it was his own that he'll keep forever and do it, it's not going to be a show car, but I want it right.

I think it's going to go up in value like my LC has, but you rarely get your money back on a restoration.
I bought my LC for £2,000, it's now worth about £8,000 but I spent that much on it at least, so we're into man maths territory.
This 930 is probably going to be the same, although they seem to be going up a lot more and a lot faster, but I 'think' I'll probably never sell it, so what do I care.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I wish I’d have bought the 993 Turbo with X50 pack when it was £70k a few years ago, that car is now quarter of a million.

Or the Ferrari 328 that was £25k and that actual exact car is not up at £85.

The craziest one has to be the 2.7 MFI 911, at one point they were quite unloved, I seem to remember them being £40k, whereas now you won’t get change out of £750k for one.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I reckon the 6.2 C63s will be a future classic. I suspect a lot of the bigger petrol engined cars will be? I suspect your 911 or 930 will double in value in the next 10-15 years.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Thing is, it's lots of Trousers of Time moments with cars and bikes. We can only make the decisions we make at the time. Looking back there are loads of things we could have done differently, but can't change - and would those changes actually have been better??

:D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I saw a car yesterday with a cool story, apparently back some twenty-something years ago it was a gift from one rich bloke to another rich bloke, but he didn’t want it and parked it in his basement and drove it once in a blue moon.

Twenty odd years later he feels sorry for it, you know those pictures you see on social media of cars owned by rich people in hot countries covered in dust, it’s one of those. Anyway, he puts it into a Porsche custom shop for full restoration, no expense spared. Then decided he doesn’t want it again and parks it in his basement.

I ‘found’ it yesterday, almost walked past it and then did a double take, made a daft offer to buy it and he said yes. So now I have to buy it or make an excuse.
It’s a 993 Carrera 4, like new with <10k kms on it.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Is it old enough to have a period bumper sticker saying 'My other car as also a Porsche'?