Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mikeycee

Re: Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Post by mikeycee »

Ian wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:02 pm if the clutch is heavy and slipping could it be the cable binding? Mine isn't heavy and never slips. If the cable is binding maybe its never releasing properly
I've not actually disconnected the cable to check in all honesty, Ive not been out to the bike since I parked it up and crawled off of it on Saturday :lol:

I will check that however, I know when I set the free play it seemed to be fine - But I will definitely check the movement and routing this week!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Evening All!

Hope you are well and have enjoyed this lovely sunny weekend - Is summer here finally? :shifty:

Usual pre-update linky below - If you have any spare cash at all, I can put it to some great use for you my referring you to my donation page below supporting Cancer Research UK:

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... lenge-2024

I have been working away for a fair part of the last week or so - Because of that not a great deal has happened in terms of investigating and rectifying the clutch issue. But, as my first scheduled long distance run is planned for this Tuesday I needed to get my ass in gear and get the ZZR In a place where I am happy with it. I had spoke to a few of my more knowledgeable contacts about the issue I was having with the clutch, and the general consensus was that it was not something that was going to be adjusted out, and that the problem was going to continue to get worse. In addition to this, providing all goes to plan I will be covering some 3500 Miles in the next 4 Weeks - And the clutch in its current state was not likely to make it that distance.

So the decision was made to strip it out, see how things were inside and take action where needed.

On first inspection, the plates were looking discoloured but not too bad. The steel plates were worn to the point that the markings were not greatly visable and some were slightly discoloured (One was beginning to corrode) - But they didn't look too bad and were not warped in any way.

On measuring the thickness of the plates however, all but one were past their service limit of 2.80mm.

All of the plates that were out of limit were between 2.74 and 2.79mm.

In addition to this, all of the springs were below the minimum service limit of 32.60mm - Not by far, but all were out.

So - Stack height too low, and knackered springs - I assume thats the cause of my issue then!

I knew someone who had a kit available to fit the early ZZR/ZX-6, So I managed to get this from him at a decent price and I also got a new clutch cover gasket from M&P for £6 posted.

New plates out the packet the night before for a good soaking in oil.

Ive never replaced a clutch before, I have never had the need to so I was a bit anxious about doing this job to be honest - I was worried that I would bugger something up badly and screw the assembly or do something daft that would result in the need for the gearbox to be split etc. But yesterday I took the plunge and got on with it. Between doing the work and juggling daddy duties I managed to get it back together just before dark, Which is a good job as I currently have no room to work in my garage which is full of house crap, an S1000RR, an RGV250 and an RG125F in boxes. :think:

Filled the engine back up with fresh oil (I was advised not to use the old oil even though it had only done 250 Miles due to the new plates) and checked for leaks and all was good. Set the initial cable adjustment at the arm and the lever and we were all set. On start up, the bike was fine and ticking over. Pulled the clutch in to select first and the bike lurched forward and stalled. Adjusted the cable a little more, and the same thing happened. Carried on tightening the cable, and managed to get it down to the bike creeping all of the time, this was with max adjustment on the cable and no free play - Things didn't seem right.

I noticed however that as the engine oil warmed up, the creeping eased a little but it was still there. I had just about had enough after a chaotic day so parked it up and left it for the next day where the plan was to have a play with the cable again and take it out for a run to see how it performed and what was happening with this creeping issue.

So today I dragged the ZZR out, set the cable arm end and lever end back to how it should be and again the creep was bad. I headed out and was immediately blown away by how much better the shifting was. Previously 1st to 2nd was horrible, I mean I had to keep off the throttle until second was in and the clutch was fully released before I could even think about getting back on the throttle to avoid a jerky, revvy shift but now its straight in and on to the throttle. The bite point is perfect, and there is no slipping (even from very low revs) in any of the gears.

I spent some time mucking about doing some slow speed stuff on the clutch to test it out, and it was perfect - I also got a little overexcited and did a couple of burnouts too, but then remembered I need to get as many miles out of that rear before I have to change it before the challenge day :lol:

Whats more - The creep has gone completely, even from cold. I am assuming it was caused by the new plates not compressing initially and causing the stack height to be past the maximum level, but once they bedded in the issue went away. Not entirely sure, but that's my assumption.

Really enjoying the ZZR at the moment, we are starting to bond now which is good - Finding out all of the little quirks and the good and bad things. Love how comfortable it is and am still surprised about how well it goes for a 34 Year old bike! Looking forward to getting out on Tuesday for this 500 Mile run out..... We are as ready as we can be at this point!

We also have the route now - I will provide some info and some stats on that soon, One things for sure - I am expecting to get lost :wtf:

Here is my link again if you need it ;)

Thanks for reading - Hope you all have a good week ahead! :thumbup:
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Evening!

If you have any money burning a hole in your pocket - Please can I take it off you in aid of a very good cause? :wave:

So Tuesday was the day of the first real test for the ZZR, The plan was to hit as close as I could to 500 Miles in the day I had booked off of work. After a beautifully sunny weekend and start to the week, I was totally unsurprised to open the curtains to be greeted with a grey, miserable showery morning.... Lovely.

The plan was to cover as many miles as possible, but not to venture too far away from home at the same time. I had a new clutch cable that I wanted to fit also, So I broke the ride up into two halves, with a quick pitstop back at home midway to grab some lunch and get the new clutch cable on which is a five minute job.

Headed out at 0915, Fuel and then on to Hunstanton (Easy route I know well), Stop for a photo and then stop for fuel and straight back home:

That clocked me around 220 Miles, and despite it being mid May - I was bloody cold. When I got back, I grabbed myself some food and got the clutch cable swapped out. Then I got some more layers on underneath my Textiles (I managed to get a pair of Alpinestars trousers to match my jacket for £30, in pretty much as new condition which was good).

Once I was layered up and ready to go, I chose a destination. I had planned some huge circular route of 510 or so miles but scrapped it as I didn't want to venture too far initially and decided to keep home as a centre point at the last minute until I had full confidence in the bike. I had a quick look at Google maps and chose a little round trip to Bristol via Swindon and the M4, and then back home via Gloucester and the M5. Route was easy, and I came off of the M5 at Gloucester and used the A-Roads home via Oxford joining the A34, then M40 and then home.

Sticker off of the side missing - God knows where that ended up :lol:

My textiles got a good test also as the last 85-90 Miles were in torrential rain - And they are not as waterproof as Alpinestars would have you believe! :hmmm:

Those last 40 Miles where a serious chore, I had rode into rush hour in heavy rain on A-Roads with no real passing opportunities - I was just stuck in it and getting impatient....

The ride total was just over 465 Miles, and I was out for 9 hours not including my midway stop. Not bad going for a first run out. To be totally fair, I was the weakest part of the equation. The ZZR Didn't miss a beat, The new clutch has made general riding far more pleasant (The springs are a bit heavy however), the brakes are working ok with the new fluid and a thorough bleed, the engine certainly is no power plant - But its smooth, easy to use and goes well over long distances and is happy to sit all day at 80mph and 7k. I on the other hand was struggling with aching legs and backside so was getting restless on the seat trying to rest different parts of my body at different times! That said, 30 mins off of the bike once I was home and all the pain was gone - I could have probably done another 100 Miles.... Maybe.

Only lasting niggle was in my tailbone, but even thats gone now.

All in all, very happy!

One more run out in the next couple of weeks (Unsure when at the moment), and then its a new rear tyre and new brake pads at the front and we are ready to go :thumbup:

Thanks again for all of your support, I really appreciate it.

As a way of showing my appreciation for everyone's support, some of my sponsors have passed me some bits to give away at the end of the challenge which is really good of them. So far I have some weekend tickets for the BTRC Truck Racing at Truxton (If you have never been you really need to - Its quite the spectacle!), A tour of the JCB World Headquarters, Museum and production site at Uttoxeter and also a (yet to be) Signed visor from Michael Rutter that will have been worn at this years IOM TT - Hopefully they can make some people happy and make the support worthwhile :)

Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Morning :)

Another update for you on Project ZZR, with the challenge now less than 4 Weeks away we are firmly into final preparations territory - I am looking forward to the challenge.... But with a fair amount of trepidation creeping in as well :wtf: This is going to be the longest ride I have ever completed so its a case of thoughts of if the bike will make it, but also real concern as to if I will make it too. The entire run will be a little over 2000 Miles over three days - For me that covers about 4 Years worth of road riding on my current 'fair weather' pace.

On return from the practice route last week, I was relieved that there were no long lasting aches and pains - The ZZR Seems to have stood up to the run well also with no problems to report aside from a slightly loose chain which was easily adjusted out. No electrical gremlins showing up either following 80 Miles in torrential rain which was a relief.

A Clean chain is certainly a happy chain!

I also received my tracker late last week from BikeTrac which has now been fitted, wired and activated:

Looking at the front brake pads - I have enough left on them for my second practice run so I can hold off swapping them out until the weekend before challenge week. Same with the rear tyre - Although now very much on the on the square side I will persevere with it for this last run so I have fresh rubber on the back for the run down to Lands End. I have a Maxxis Sport touring rear ready for fitting (It was cheap!) and the front is still in decent condition.

My run planned for the second week in June is a 465 Mile wobble through North Wales and back. Will be a good trail on more A/B Roads which I am looking forward to.... And I am hoping the weather will be a little kinder to me this time! :lol:

If there is anything you can spare, feel free to donate via the link below :thumbup:

Thanks, and enjoy your afternoon!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Hi All,

Hope you have had a nice weekend :king:

Only ten days to go now before challenge day - Anything you can spare would be so very much appreciated!

So the plan was tomorrow to get another 500 Miles under my belt before challenge week - But unfortunately I have been scuppered by a dose of man-flu and the added bonus of a chest infection for good measure.... Lovely :thumbdown: I have been out of action since Thursday but I am over the hump now thankfully and gaining my strength back but there is not one chance of getting a 500 Mile run in tomorrow, especially as rain is forecast all day. I don't want to risk making things worse in any way so I am just going to dodge the showers and maybe get a short hop in, then get the back wheel off and to my tyre guy to get my top of the line, £69 Maxxis Sport touring rubber on and ready to go.

Once the back wheels back on, Then New front pads go in and then I am not going to touch it until I leave for Lands end on Wednesday 19th aside from loading my luggage. I have a growing anxiety creeping up on me concerning doing any more work on the bike or riding any long distances with the challenge now so close.... I keep envisaging breaking something, stripping a critical thread, blowing it up, or something daft that will not leave me enough time to fix it and Ill be out of the challenge - I am being ultra cautious at the moment - Maybe me getting sick was a sign to leave the ZZR alone :lol:

So - I think now we are 90% Ready to go!

I said I would provide some detail on the route but I have totally forgot to do that - apologies. We have been asked not to share the specific route which is fair enough, but I can share with you some stats:
  • Total Distance of 977 Miles
  • 8 Fuel Stops (9 if I want to be ultra cautious)
  • 5 Mandatory Pitstops (Sign in/Sign out) with bike and rider checks
  • One Ferry
  • 37 Towns/Cities/Villages either passed through or passed round (From what I could count!)
Ive broken the route up into stages based on stop to stop, and the plan for me is rather than keep looking at the total distance is to just base things on these smaller chunks which I hope will keep things a little more manageable. I am not trying to kid myself that after 700 Miles that this plan will be still working, but hopefully it will help in some way.

Also to hopefully make things a bit easier on the lower part of my body I have got myself a ComfortAir Cushion. I have not tried it out properly (The plan was to do that tomorrow) - But I think with that the aim will be to use it on a cyclic basis throughout the trip to keep the seat surface changing, giving me something different to sit on every few hours! Will see how that goes with pressures tomorrow and see what works best.

That's about all I have to update on for now, Hopefully no last minute headaches to report this week and we are all good to go :)

Enjoy your week!