In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:26 pm My father was a RAF fighter pilot who lost his life in peacetime when his aircraft developed a mechanical malfunction but he was unable to eject. If he could he would turn in his grave at Sunak thinking it's OK to place a wreath on a D-day memorial then leave early for a TV interview. What a wanker.

And I don't think the talking tree stump Starmer or slimeball Davey are any better, they're not.

The dead don't vote.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:31 pm
irie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:26 pm My father was a RAF fighter pilot who lost his life in peacetime when his aircraft developed a mechanical malfunction but he was unable to eject. If he could he would turn in his grave at Sunak thinking it's OK to place a wreath on a D-day memorial then leave early for a TV interview. What a wanker.

And I don't think the talking tree stump Starmer or slimeball Davey are any better, they're not.
The dead don't vote.
I'm not dead yet.

hth
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Tell Sunak, not me.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:31 pm

The dead don't vote.
Don't let ZX81 hear you say that.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:24 pm Tell Sunak, not me.
You said "The dead don't vote".

I replied to what you said.

:lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:33 pm

Then I suggest you missed the point of my post.

Anyway, Sunak has apologised so it's all right now I guess.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:35 pm

What was the point of your post?
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:23 pm What was the point of your post?
Jeez - start introducing rules like 'posts must have a point', that'll be the death of my post count :wave:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:23 pm
Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:35 pm

What was the point of your post?

Lol!

It appeared to me that Sunak placed more importance (in the run-up to the election he had called) in doing an interview and putting over some points to voters than commemorating the death of thousands of men that had given their lives so that some cunt like him could hold high office in our democratic society. The dead don't vote so are only worthy of a bit of his time - the people who may vote are more important.

That was the fucking point, not whether you are alive or dead. Get over yourself.

Sunak has his diary written for him so there's a few things that could be inferred from this event but one thing is certain - his failure to see this disrespectful gaffe coming is evidence of his unsuitability for the office he holds. Of course, he may not want to win the election so pissing off the people who do vote . . .

But, as I said before, he's apologised so it's all done and dusted now.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:41 am Blah blah blah ...
What sunak did was grossly disrespectful of the dead. I made the same point as you but in a different but less direct way. Either way, Sunak is finished.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Probably too busy booking his flight to america?
Ignorance is bliss
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Imagine trying this with EVs.
BBC wrote:Thousands of bikers celebrate life of Dave Myers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722j5gp65jo
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Where there's blame there's a claim. Someone pushed her shoulder and it wasn't even hard enough to knock her over. ffs.
BBC wrote:Danish PM suffered whiplash in street attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv22k0rkl99o
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yambo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:41 am
Sunak has his diary written for him so there's a few things that could be inferred from this event but one thing is certain - his failure to see this disrespectful gaffe coming is evidence of his unsuitability for the office he holds. Of course, he may not want to win the election so pissing off the people who do vote . . .

But, as I said before, he's apologised so it's all done and dusted now.
Im no fan of his party, and my personal opinion of Sunak is that if you've milked the banking system youve got a nerve trying to my nugatory spending power - however - even I think more column inches and airtime has been generated out of this one than necessary.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:18 pm I'm a bit suspicious about what 'met by customs' really means, I've been put into many countries by the military and even though most probably had some sort of customs process I rarely ever noticed or engaged with it.
Slenver wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:24 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:18 pm I'm a bit suspicious about what 'met by customs' really means, I've been put into many countries by the military and even though most probably had some sort of customs process I rarely ever noticed or engaged with it.
From a video on the DM site it look like they had arranged to meet some customs guys who checked their passports with laptops.
The guys that parachuted in requested a stamp in their passports to show that they had made that jump for the memorial - the French created a commemorative stamp for them to have and obliged by stamping their passports in a field. But that of course doesn't make into the media because it won't get the anti-French/anti-EU people all het up will it

I'm currently in an area that suffered hugely at the hands of the occupying Nazis (the Savoie did too , but not in the volumes. The resistance was apparently born in this area). These people lived in tiny villages. They weren't lily livered cheese eating surrender monkeys - they were farmers in small villages trying to fight an army of organised troops. These organised troops regularly devastated communities. You guys have mentioned the village were everyone was killed and the village has been left as it was. That is relatively near here.
There is another village nearer where the Germans divided the 16+ year old men into three groups - the men that worked in the munitions factory, the ones that could be vouched for and the ones that were to be hung. The plan was to hang 120 men - they stopped at 99 and left their bodies in the local dump.

The uk wasn't occupied, no one in the uk has any concept of that. The Channel Islands do, and the marks of the occupation are still remembered and grudges held to this day.

And no, we didn't fight in the war to free the french, we fought in the war to beat the Germans and protect the UK!!

France does have HUGE respect for the allies. Sad that some of those allies have so little respect for the French. The uk doesn't hold regular smaller memorials in the same was as the French, or have a bank holiday and ceremonies in memory of the end of the war. I always feel a bit sad when I read all the shitty comments about the French especially on this subject - you read what you are supposed to read in the media :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2260z4ny6o

As anti-lockdown protests flared across China’s cities in November 2022, hundreds of thousands around the world were glued to an unlikely source: a mysterious X account, fronted by a cartoon cat.

The 'news' bit is that, nearly 11 months on, I think that's the first time I've not seen "(formerly known as Twitter)"!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:12 pm
France does have HUGE respect for the allies. Sad that some of those allies have so little respect for the French. The uk doesn't hold regular smaller memorials in the same was as the French, or have a bank holiday and ceremonies in memory of the end of the war. I always feel a bit sad when I read all the shitty comments about the French especially on this subject - you read what you are supposed to read in the media :( :(
Yeah the mayor of our really tiny SW France village held a service outside the Marie recently for a group of allied airmen who had recently been identified at a nearby crash site. A fair few old soldiers pitched up. They still remember. This was occupied France where I am, the allies literally devastated the coastline in the final months of liberation. https://www.royanatlantique.fr/en/explo ... -of-royan/
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

From today (in the UK), owners who do not microchip their cats face a £500 fine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c7221y677nqo

So you have to microchip your cat so your details can go on a database and you can be identified as the cat's owner. But if the cat isn't microchipped the owner can't necessarily be identified so who is going to be fined? If your cat is a 'house cat' are they going to have an enforcement team to knock on your door, produce a search warrant to determine if you have a cat or not (like the TV licensing people)?

Are cats going to be added to the list of animals where traffic accidents involving them need to be reported? Has the list already been changed?
BBC wrote:Vet Rory Cowlam, RSPCA ambassador and CBBC presenter, said: “The thought of a pet going missing and never being able to find them is a pet owner's nightmare, which is why microchipping is so important.
That's a load of bollox and is not the reason for the requirement to microchip your cat.
BBC wrote:The animal charity said the new rules would improve cat welfare, help track down missing pets and could stop owners abandoning their animals.

There might be some truth in the last bit but many cats abandon their owners . . .

I have to wonder what is the real reason that cats must be microchipped. It's all a bit dictatorial I think. What will they come up with next, dog licences?
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:10 am What will they come up with next, dog licences?
After that enforced sterilisation of cats with ears clipped as in Greece.

Followed by the same for UK citizens who haven't paid their "fair share" of taxes. YKIMS.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:10 am From today (in the UK), owners who do not microchip their cats face a £500 fine.

So you have to microchip your cat so your details can go on a database and you can be identified as the cat's owner.
From the start, to be absolutely clear: I do not advocate microchipping children ;)

Taking a step sideways from pets.

When Foal was about 3 (?) we started the process of applying for entry to the local school. Until then (not that I'd thought about it in any detail), I'd presumed the local authority would contact us "Oi, school, now!" kinda thing. After all, births are registered, etc.

But, of course, there's no 'official' logging of where subsequently the kid moves to (except anything like Drs).

They could end up anywhere, never going to school at all.

Many kids are home educated. IIRC there's legislation saying that they have to receive education, whether at a school or not.

But there's no log or register of home educated kids. No-one knows how many there are or where they are.

Despite promises, no register has been introduced.

Big Brother if a register is mandatory, or potential neglect on a national scale if not?