What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Had a day without the electric, SSE are putting a new pole and transformer for a new mobile phone mast. Lots of small jobs done too, new flex on the hob, not just T&E, finished moving the washing machine, made a temporary shelf and rail for my overalls to go where the washing machine was, and did a bit of shed stuff.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:34 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:23 pm I've taken a day trip to Albania.
I took a ferry from Mevagissy to Fowey. And back.
But I've never been to me...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Apparently I lit a fire under the right ass at my Dr's office.
A month ago I was prescribed a med...
Went to chemist to pick it up. They tell me they can't fill it because whatever.

This morning I call my insurance carrier, they tell me to call the State office
Call made, "we haven't seen anything about that med for you" & point the finger at my Dr

I drop by to light the fire.

Explained that he needed to get his shit sorted after a fucking month. Reception gal said she's on it.
I got a call from his office on the way home.
I then get FOUR more calls at home, one after the other so close together that the phone rang with the next call immediately after I hit the *end call* button.
Shit sorted
Then I get a call from the chemist a couple of minutes after those four "We're ordered the med & will call again when it's ready for pick up"
Then I get ANOTHER call right after that from the Dr's office again.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

One of our *zero emission* solar fields had a change of heart today...

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:43 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am
Rockburner wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:48 am
* The kicker to that statement: there's a fucking fibre exchange less than 100 yards from the house (the fibre lines for the villages to the south of us run down our road), but because there's only 4 addresses in the postcode we're at the very bottom of the OpenReach list for provisioning. :roll:
I asked the BT guy when they could arrange fibre at my property. After looking it up, he said, 'Yes, we're in your area. It'll be done by 2026'. :wtf:
Have you looked into starlink.
Several people this side of the channel I know have it and are far happier with it than orange fibre, which is notoriously flaky in the country side.
VM's slowest package is 128mbps, IIRC. I've opted for their fastest, which is c. 1g as it ain't much more p/m. BT's maximum offering to my gaff is 36mbps. :thumbdown:

Given that all I'm doing is trying to work and listen to a bit of music, I reckon it'll do me. If there is any excess, I'll do a bit of data mining in my spare time.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:24 am
gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am

I asked the BT guy when they could arrange fibre at my property. After looking it up, he said, 'Yes, we're in your area. It'll be done by 2026'. :wtf:
Several people this side of the channel I know have it and are far happier with it than orange fibre, which is notoriously flaky in the country side.
VM's slowest package is 128mbps, IIRC. I've opted for their fastest, which is c. 1g as it ain't much more p/m. BT's maximum offering to my gaff is 36mbps. :thumbdown:

Given that all I'm doing is trying to work and listen to a bit of music, I reckon it'll do me. If there is any excess, I'll do a bit of data mining in my spare time.
Have they given you a potential latency figure?
That's the important number, when I used to 'sell' the Internetz, we always had to make sure to use the phrase 'up to when giving speed estimates. We used several different sites to roughly work out what was realistically available, and generally told them the truth, which managed customer expectations.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:46 am

That's the important number, when I used to 'sell' the Internetz, we always had to make sure to use the phrase 'up to when giving speed estimates. We used several different sites to roughly work out what was realistically available, and generally told them the truth, which managed customer expectations.
Details, smchetails...

TBH, it's all a bit academic. VM* are the only other buggers who supply in my remote, miles-from-anywhere location (Bromley, SE London/Kent borders :roll: ) who will do FTTP, so not much in the way of choice. Anything has to be better than BT via their 19th century telegraph wire system.

As I said, my needs are basic in terms of bandwidth, but clearly I need a bit more than 32mbps. Any slower and I'll be pushing an old BT telephone into the modem, like in the 80's.

*I've got them coming for a pre-install survey. What I don't want are clowns digging up the drive and front garden, which was landscaped at not inconsiderable expense, and leaving it a mess.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:55 am don't want are clowns digging up the drive and front garden, which was landscaped at not inconsiderable expense, and leaving it a mess.
That did that 'round ere anyway, to every house, whether you wanted it or not :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Luckily our FTTP comes in overhead, quick and easy install.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

My internets is pissing about again, I'm looking at Skylink again. It's €40 a month here and they have refurbished kit for €175 instead of €349 for brand new.

My current setup is a microwave link to a mast a couple of kilometres down the valley and isn't as good as 4g, it costs €25 a month.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:34 am My internets is pissing about again, I'm looking at Skylink again. It's €40 a month here and they have refurbished kit for €175 instead of €349 for brand new.

My current setup is a microwave link to a mast a couple of kilometres down the valley and isn't as good as 4g, it costs €25 a month.
We've got Movistar fibre. 70€ a month including 2 phones with superfast unlimited data and calls.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:55 am
Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:46 am

Details, smchetails...

As I said, my needs are basic in terms of bandwidth, but clearly I need a bit more than 32mbps. Any slower and I'll be pushing an old BT telephone into the modem, like in the 80's
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Received a nice photo of me riding in Cadiz from El Filth.

90 in an 80 :(

100€ or 50€ if paid within 21 days.

No points deduction though.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:54 am
Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:34 am My internets is pissing about again, I'm looking at Skylink again. It's €40 a month here and they have refurbished kit for €175 instead of €349 for brand new.

We've got Movistar fibre. 70€ a month including 2 phones with superfast unlimited data and calls.
Dude, have you seen where I live? The nearest fibre is about 2km as the crow flies, over the top of a mountain.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

We're supposed to be away now but f-i-l isnt too well and this morning he has now confirmed he isn't coming with us. So looks like its cheaper rounds for moi! :thumbup:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Finally fixed the van after it's italian meltdown!
Vacuum actuator for the turbo went AWOL, ordered one off a well known river site, forgot to check delivery times didn't I?
We also have a new fuel filter ( well after 10+ years she deserved one)
Purring like a diesel powered 5 cylinder kitten!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Hangover clearing walk to the pub for lunch a day and a wander around the village :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Thursday - did a late GVA pick up for cat owners, then rode the bike back to resort to pack for a trip. Thought, should I change the smokey visor for the clear? Nah, it'll be fine!

Note to self - if you ask yourself the question - change the bloody visor :lol: :lol:

Yesterday - had a meeting with France Service (the admin social workers!!) and then rode to La Creuse. 600kms / 7 hours (1.25 of which were stops) - amazingly my shoulder has been fine!!! But, coming back on the A roads, so that'll be interesting next week!!

Today - tested a Hilite airbag vest - interesting!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
David

Post by David »

Well, we went on the Waverley to Penarth last week (5 hours in Penarth was about 4 too many), lovely trip, with Timothy West and Pru Scales aboard on the way back. Tonight I am shore crew for it's return from Ilfracombe.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Was parked up right next to a well all day - would have come in handy for the riding challenge a week or so ago. Only twigged when I was leaving.
Attachments
IMG_9682.jpeg
IMG_9682.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 113 times