What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:14 pm Whether or not 36 is enough probably depends on what you're paying for :D

They took us off our 150 contract 'cause it wasn't available any more :( Amazing what you can get down a glass thread with a few flashes of light.

image_2024-06-05_161448977.png
Is that from their own systems?

What do you get from speedtest.net?
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I thought the Sonos speakers themselves used their own version of wireless and only used the internet proper for downloading to a single speaker that shared it all to the others?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:18 pm Is that from their own systems?

That 590 is from fast.com. I've never seen it below 450 on there with our latest setup. The hardware hasn't actually changed in the last 3 or 4 years, we just have a 500 contract now whereas we had 150 before. They won't let us have "only" 150 any more with this set up!

The upload is 3 times faster now, that's actually more useful. Mrs. D regularly uploads ~1000 photos as part of her photography gigs.
image_2024-06-05_162451159.png
image_2024-06-05_162451159.png (35.85 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:21 pm I thought the Sonos speakers themselves used their own version of wireless and only used the internet proper for downloading to a single speaker that shared it all to the others?
From what the 2nd gen app seems to want to collect - I think Sonos scoop up a huge amount of user data (presumably for marketing purposes). I couldn't believe the info the app said it needed when I tried to install it. It got deleted very quickly, the first gen app still works fine.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:31 pm According to BT, I get 36mbps, 24/7. No breaks in service. Must be mistaken, sir.

Yet these are the figures from the BT Wholesale speed test they insist is is accurate and the only one they recommend. :roll:

Who wrote the program, Fujitsu? :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:18 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:14 pm Whether or not 36 is enough probably depends on what you're paying for :D

They took us off our 150 contract 'cause it wasn't available any more :( Amazing what you can get down a glass thread with a few flashes of light.

Similar results from all speed tests, i.e anywhere from 32mbpd down to big, fat zero. BT will only accept the results from their one, mind. And even then, tell you it's not true.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:59 pm

Similar results from all speed tests, i.e anywhere from 32mbpd down to big, fat zero. BT will only accept the results from their one, mind. And even then, tell you it's not true.
Time to get shot of them.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

May or may not help though right? Possible the infrastructure is the same whoever who go with.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:17 pm They only failover at a broken connection over the wires.
How easily does a wire fail :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

If its 1970s era telecoms wires there is a good chance it is aluminium rather than copper, ally is notorious for getting incredibly brittle with age. There is a telecoms cabinet in Newhaven which has ally cabling into and out of it, the techs hate opening it as there is a good chance that the act of opening or closing the doors will put additional faults on the lines running through the cabinet.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got caught bunking work today. :D I was supposed to go onsite today but frankly I couldn't be arsed, so i decided to wfh instead. I had a couple of people coming in to see me but easily rescheduled them. But, I forgot I had a teams meeting with my Head of Dept and a couple of people from other depts. No problem, i'll just wing it and use back ground blur! It was all going swimmingly until my French bulldog decided to jump on my lap and see who i was talking too! :? Busted! :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:10 pm

Got VM coming around next week to survey Chez Gremlin to see if they can run a cable into the property. As long as it comes down the south drive and into the servant quarters, via the trout lake, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)

They did come around some years back. The bloke knocked at my door, we went outside and he told me how much road they'd have to dig up to get the cable to the front of my property. Then the amount of drive they'd have to lift to run the cable to the front. Then the faff of how to get it to the right room in the house. He looked at me, shrugged and said, 'I'd stick with Sky if I were you, mate'
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:30 am
Rockburner wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:10 pm

Got VM coming around next week to survey Chez Gremlin to see if they can run a cable into the property. As long as it comes down the south drive and into the servant quarters, via the trout lake, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)

They did come around some years back. The bloke knocked at my door, we went outside and he told me how much road they'd have to dig up to get the cable to the front of my property. Then the amount of drive they'd have to lift to run the cable to the front. Then the faff of how to get it to the right room in the house. He looked at me, shrugged and said, 'I'd stick with Sky if I were you, mate'
I had a conversation with BT that went like this :
me: "What sort of connection can I get at this address?"
BT: "Hmm, well - the address is over 4km from either of the nearest exchange boxes, and there's no fibre provision listed*, so you're likely to get about 2Mbs at best, regardless of what contract we offer"
me: "Is there anything we can do about getting a better connection?"
BT: "Move."
me: "..... "

* The kicker to that statement: there's a fucking fibre exchange less than 100 yards from the house (the fibre lines for the villages to the south of us run down our road), but because there's only 4 addresses in the postcode we're at the very bottom of the OpenReach list for provisioning. :roll:
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:48 am
* The kicker to that statement: there's a fucking fibre exchange less than 100 yards from the house (the fibre lines for the villages to the south of us run down our road), but because there's only 4 addresses in the postcode we're at the very bottom of the OpenReach list for provisioning. :roll:
I asked the BT guy when they could arrange fibre at my property. After looking it up, he said, 'Yes, we're in your area. It'll be done by 2026'. :wtf:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

When we moved here (having been on Virgin all-you-can-eat cable directly to to the house at the last place) the best we could get was 7Mbs. 😱

Fibre was due to get to the cabinet three months later, it ended up arriving 6 months later, and now we get a heady 20Mbs. 😆
Mostly thanks to the fact that there's still a mile of copper between the cabinet and our house. 😭

It's surprisingly not that bad - fine for work video calls and streaming etc.
It's only really noticeably a PITA when you want to upload something sizable - I think our upload speed is 0.5Mbs give or take 😂
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:30 am Got VM coming around next week to survey Chez Gremlin to see if they can run a cable into the property. As long as it comes down the south drive and into the servant quarters, via the trout lake, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)

The moat around your castle and the ramparts were likely a hindrance too. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've taken a day trip to Albania.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:23 pm I've taken a day trip to Albania.
I took a ferry from Mevagissy to Fowey. And back.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Fitted a pelmet/curtains me and swmbo made for some friends bridal suite at their chambre D'hote/ gites business, then got asked 'can you fit a dishwasher?'
So this pm was spent pulling out the old machine and refitting the new. Only real issue was the door was integral, so spent more time lining it up than fitting the machine!
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:01 am
Rockburner wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:48 am
I asked the BT guy when they could arrange fibre at my property. After looking it up, he said, 'Yes, we're in your area. It'll be done by 2026'. :wtf:
Have you looked into starlink.
Several people this side of the channel I know have it and are far happier with it than orange fibre, which is notoriously flaky in the country side.