Ducati delays choosing who will partner Bagnaia on Factory bike

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
mangocrazy

Re: Ducati delays choosing who will partner Bagnaia on Factory bike

Post by mangocrazy »

I can fully understand why Ducati have gone for MM, but it won't make for a harmonious relationship in the pit garage. I honestly believe that they'd have done better to go for Jorge. They currently have the best bike, so even if MM went to (say) KTM he'd have to get used to the bike and their way of working and the bike would probably be not quite as good as the Ducati. Jorge is still young and will only get better. Marc's best years are behind him. And now they have a fired-up Jorge on what is probably the second-best bike on the grid with a point to prove.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

I hope MM wipes the floor with them all, he's currently doing alright on a old bike.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:32 pm I can fully understand why Ducati have gone for MM, but it won't make for a harmonious relationship in the pit garage. I honestly believe that they'd have done better to go for Jorge. They currently have the best bike, so even if MM went to (say) KTM he'd have to get used to the bike and their way of working and the bike would probably be not quite as good as the Ducati. Jorge is still young and will only get better. Marc's best years are behind him. And now they have a fired-up Jorge on what is probably the second-best bike on the grid with a point to prove.
In terms of the team I think you are right. I don't think there is love between Pecco and Jorge, but I think Pecco and Marc hate each other. There are gonna be some absolute nail biters in the garage between them two on track. It's bad enough when it's elbows between Gresini and factory, but when both factory riders are trying to kill each other I imagine that's not best.

I guess for Pecco it'll be good and bad. If he beats Marc on the same bike then there are no excuses for Marc. However, beating that smiley assassin ain't gonna be easy but if you wanna be the best :banana-dance:
hawkati

Post by hawkati »

So very much this - there will be no hiding behind "my bike is worse than yours" - Marc is desperate for the legacy of topping rossi's championship totals but bagpuss is no pushover at all - look at the way he piles into corners with the rear all over the shop and the front constantly on the point of locking up. It's going to be merciless between them and I can't wait for next season.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It all adds up to extra spice for the rest of this season, as well. All three of them (Pecco, Jorge and Marc) will be desperate to lay down a marker. The fun and games start here - the starting pistol has been fired... :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:53 am It all adds up to extra spice for the rest of this season, as well. All three of them (Pecco, Jorge and Marc) will be desperate to lay down a marker. The fun and games start here - the starting pistol has been fired... :)
Think it's been that way for the last few rounds. It's clear them 3 are the current cream of the crop with Pedro very close behind. There is clearly needle between the top 3 and it's great to watch. Hopefully Pedro will move forward/learn and Jorge doesn't fall behind on the Aprilia as it could be very entertaining. I think Marc/Pecco would happily ride into each other to stop the other winning right now, neither is giving quarter.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just think if Yamaha get their bike working again. Then add Fab Frog to the mix :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:49 am Just think if Yamaha get their bike working again. Then add Fab Frog to the mix :)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:14 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:49 am Just think if Yamaha get their bike working again. Then add Fab Frog to the mix :)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
He's younger than the top 3. You don't become world champ by collecting Corn Flake packet tops.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:22 pm You don't become world champ by collecting Corn Flake packet tops.
Well thanks for bursting that bubble. :cry:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:22 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:14 pm
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
He's younger than the top 3. You don't become world champ by collecting Corn Flake packet tops.
I never said he wasn't a great rider. It's the piece of shit bike that's the issue
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:35 pm Blimey, the thot plickens :obscene-birdiedoublered:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10500 ... ejected-it
Ducati should have called MM's bluff. They have the best bike and everyone wants to ride it. They have the best bargaining chips. Capitulating shows them to be weak, and MM will exploit this in trademark ruthless fashion.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It seems like Pecco is also concerned about how the atmosphere in the garage will change when MM joins the factory Ducati team in 2025:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10505 ... uez-enters

Not entirely surprising; Pecco has been top dog in the factory team for 2 or 3 years, and now another big dog will arrive. I foresee some 'this town ain't big enough for the both of us' moments next year...
Skub

Post by Skub »

“We look at the rider’s performance and his ability to develop the bike together with Pecco and win titles,” Tardozzi said.

I don't know how good a development rider MM will be,look where the Honda ended up during his reign. He just rides the wheels off whatever he's given. Ducati are currently in that happy place with a bike which has a good base setting for many riders. The Honda was geared for MM with his input and eventually he couldn't make it go any faster without crashing,now no one can ride it fast without crashing.
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:32 pm “We look at the rider’s performance and his ability to develop the bike together with Pecco and win titles,” Tardozzi said.

I don't know how good a development rider MM will be,look where the Honda ended up during his reign. He just rides the wheels off whatever he's given. Ducati are currently in that happy place with a bike which has a good base setting for many riders. The Honda was geared for MM with his input and eventually he couldn't make it go any faster without crashing,now no one can ride it fast without crashing.
Yes, agree. I think MM is probably a bad choice as a development rider; as you say - just look where the Honda wound up following his input. I honestly think that Ducati will rue the day they signed MM to the factory team, for that reason but also because of the aggravation he will bring to what is currently a harmonious setup. I wouldn't be surprised to see KTM give Ducati a shock next year - they have a stellar rider line-up. And then there's a fired-up Jorge on the Aprilia...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

TBF to Marquez the Honda was only bad to ride for everyone else. Then when MM couldn't ride for 2 years Honda attempted to make MM bike rideable for other people and in the process seemed to make it unrideable to everyone including MM. Then MM was trying to ride a pig whilst having 1 arm.

Would you have questioned his development skills between 2013 and 2019 when he won 6 out of 7 titles? If you took his big crash out of the equation there's a strong chance MM and Honda may well have a stack more titles. Honda went for a big all eggs in 1 basket route but I find it hard to blame them when Marc was taking the piss year in year out
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I remember that well before Marc's big crash there were mutterings to the effect that the Honda was turning into a bike no-one else could ride anywhere near as fast. Cal was pretty vocal about this and I even remember Dani saying something to that effect. So the bike was heading that way anyway, then Marc had his big crash and Honda were directionless for two years. When that happens it's all down to what the development engineers think is needed. Mick Doohan used to have a fight with Honda every year over the 'upgrade' parts they brought which inevitably meant even more power and not much consideration for the chassis. Honda engineers have form...
Skub

Post by Skub »

A load of years ago someone was quoted as saying,'if HRC are left to their own devices they will build a fast camel'.

Jerry Burgess maybe?
Walt Whitman
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:58 pm A load of years ago someone was quoted as saying,'if HRC are left to their own devices they will build a fast camel'.

Jerry Burgess maybe?
459b316f22b814d5c5a6d25d71e84fc4.jpg
459b316f22b814d5c5a6d25d71e84fc4.jpg (1019.43 KiB) Viewed 250 times