Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

mangocrazy

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by mangocrazy »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:37 am One thing that does irk me is the derogatory term 'populist vote'. Imagine! The party actually putting things in it's manifesto that people want!
Populist is not the same as popular...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:24 am Looks to me that both the left and right do more or less the same thing after they lose power.
The left says they weren't left enough and the right says they weren't right enojgh, they believe the crazies and march off doublequick into the fucking wilderness, totally forgetting that most of the votes are in the centreground.

Except the solutions to all the UKs current woes are not going to be found in the centreground.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Another thing that irks me (there are many, far too many to list on here) is politician speak. For example, we don't have families in the UK anymore, we have 'hard-working families'. Neither do we have pensioners, we have 'vulnerable pensioners'*.

And if those phrases can be said whilst making a 'thumb in fist' gesture for emphasis, so much the cheesier.

*with their final salary pensions...year, right.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:40 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:37 am One thing that does irk me is the derogatory term 'populist vote'. Imagine! The party actually putting things in it's manifesto that people want!

noun
a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.
"he ran as a populist on an anti-corruption platform"

Ergo, pushing popular policies. See fig. 1 'Big Nige Farage'
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

That's right. "Populist" is the derogatory term for "popular".
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:51 am
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:34 am a 'what would you like us to say in order to get your vote? - OK that's now policy' party.
Isn't that what all the parties are now?? How else are they going to get any influence at all from the public?

(not that it makes any difference - they do what the f*ck they want once in, public opinion is just for laughing at at that point.).
I was happier with a system where the people just voted for people that they thought could run the country rather than a system where the man on the Clacton omnibus tells them how to run the country. :lol:

Look what happens when you put slabs of the great unwashed in control of decisions. :( (Mind you, the MPs need a kicking for eg even giving them the chance to choose Truss. Abdicating responsibility to referenda is pants too. Mrs T wouldn't have stood for that nonsense. :)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The return of Farage had a certain inevitability once it became acceptable to vote in leaders like Boris / Trump. Voters want leaders who 'look like themselves' and the Boris/Trump less-agreeable* man-of-the-people, I-say-it-like-it-is qualities actually made a lot of sense to some people. So, yes, we should be worried. Ten years ago who would have put a tenner on Brexit, Boris as PM, Trump as President in their lifetime?

* like being a pompus, odious, depicable, lying cnut - for example
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:24 pm Ten years ago who would have put a tenner on Brexit?
I remember laughing at the Greeks and the silly notion of their Grexit. Who's laughing now? :thumbdown:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I actually like Nige. He's a disrupter. He does say what many people think but are not given the platform.

Doesn't mean I'd trust him to run a bath, mind.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I actually like Nige. He's a disrupter. He does say what many people think but are not given the platform. He's entertaining and drinks pints for real, not like most politicians who sup it and pretend to like it.

Doesn't mean I'd trust him to run so much as a bath, mind.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:43 am
An unsuccessful populist is not popular.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:37 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:43 am

An unsuccessful populist is not popular.
Or just slightly less popular than the non-populist.

But both more popular than Liz Truss.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:37 am
demographic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:24 am attract the weird old uncle votes.

Do old, weird uncles not deserve a vote?

One thing that does irk me is the derogatory term 'populist vote'. Imagine! The party actually putting things in it's manifesto that people want!
I'd say that was just a subtle difference between the dictionary definition and the modern, political usage though.

On one hand, populism is appealing to the group in the greatest number... on the other, it's appealing to the ones with the least knowledge.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Interesting stats on this poll, even more people tending towards Labour than the last vote on here.
Looks like there's a few normally conservative voters who would rather say they're voting for the bumming hat party than admit they're still going to vote tory and landslide or not Labour seems over represented compared to countrywide polls.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:28 pm
DefTrap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:24 pm Ten years ago who would have put a tenner on Brexit?
I remember laughing at the Greeks and the silly notion of their Grexit. Who's laughing now? :thumbdown:
If they ever gave Germany, France, Italy and Spain, to name but a few, a referendum, they 'd also be out too. I'd certainly bet on that!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Most people I know are feeling pretty jaded when it comes to politics. It seems they're mainly fed up with the boom and bust of the Tory/Labour cycle. Time for change and the only option is Reform UK. Go Nige! :thumbup:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

demographic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:36 pm Interesting stats on this poll, even more people tending towards Labour than the last vote on here.
Looks like there's a few normally conservative voters who would rather say they're voting for the bumming hat party than admit they're still going to vote tory and landslide or not Labour seems over represented compared to countrywide polls.
If this site's poll is even slightly representative of the UK's voting intention then the Tories are in for the shoeing of their life. And Iccy's Bumming Hat Party will constitute the Loyal Opposition... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
cheb

Post by cheb »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:55 pm
demographic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:36 pm Interesting stats on this poll, even more people tending towards Labour than the last vote on here.
If this site's poll is even slightly representative of the UK's voting intention then the Tories are in for the shoeing of their life. And Iccy's Bumming Hat Party will constitute the Loyal Opposition... :D
The party that pushes back the hardest.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:46 pm Most people I know are feeling pretty jaded when it comes to politics. It seems they're mainly fed up with the boom and bust of the Tory/Labour cycle. Time for change and the only option is Reform UK. Go Nige! :thumbup:
Most people I know are feeling pretty jaded when it comes to politics - but that's normal and wild horses wouldn't make them vote Farage-Reform even as an anti-everything vote.

Maybe in a %age system - someone like Farage can do enough to be disruptive - but with FPTP it results in a handful of seats and an opportunity to be (another) gobshite in the House, that's all.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:55 pm
I don't think it's representative of the UK people, it's a left-wing site used predominantly by people with a political axe to grind.
Most people don't care about politics half as much as the people on here.