Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ChrisW

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by ChrisW »

Wasn't even a great pub....good to be out in the sunshine though :)
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:46 pm
Sunny wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:01 pm Anyway BYP: pet insurance.
Our lovely dog has just turned ten (ish - he's a rescue, so it's all a bit ish). He now costs more to insure than the fucking Audi.
Cheer up, My 2 younger Rotts are £500 odd each and my Malinois is £800. They won't touch the oldest Rott as she's 13.
McNab wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:49 pm But you've not seen how much it cost to insure his Audi :shock: :D
Yep > £1000 😭

£1043.35 to be precise. He's a big lump rescue mix from Croatia, so who knows what he is, but the vet reckons there's Irish Wolfhound and German Shepherd in there somewhere. I assume the turning 10 (ish!), has caused the bump up.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Only had jack Russells for over 30 years and they are like the Hondas of the dog world, they just keep going. So we'd never insured a dog or had booster jabs. Now we also have a French Bulldog which are notorious for health issues, i thought i'd look into insuring her. PetPlan quoted over £200 a month :shock: :wtf: , so that idea got binned!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:05 pm Only had jack Russells for over 30 years and they are like the Hondas of the dog world, they just keep going. So we'd never insured a dog or had booster jabs. Now we also have a French Bulldog which are notorious for health issues, i thought i'd look into insuring her. PetPlan quoted over £200 a month :shock: :wtf: , so that idea got binned!
Years and years ago a friend told me that she never insured her dogs (German Shepherds IIRC) - she would put an amount a month in a savings account so that if the dog/s needed anything, she had a reasonable amount saved. This is 20+ years ago, so pet insurance wasn't as costly as now, but I remember her putting what I thought was a big amount away - maybe 50-100£ - so quite a bit more than the insurance would have cost back then, but no excess, no increase if she claimed and I'm pretty sure in the 5 years I knew her, she didn't need any of the money. But knowing her, I suspect that once the dog passed, the money would stay in the savings account for the next dog, just in case

No idea if that's feasible now? No idea what vets cost, except LOTS!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've never insured any of my cats, they get regular tick and flea treatments and that's about it. Whether or not they make a one way trip the vets has depended on their age and what's wrong with them. One had its leg pinned, it was young enough to be worth it. The last one had a brain problem that was likely to impossible to cure so that was that.

I miss them when they die but it's only a cat to me, there's plenty more. The current one is a twice rehomed cat that came from a neighbour, very affectionate, very happy to see me but it's still only a cat.

I'm not fussed how people spend their money but it boggles me how much can be spent on pets. Neither do I get the breed thing unless it's a working animal.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

There were moves afoot to look at/break up some of the big company monopolies on veterinary services. At the moment all the independents keep getting mopped up and the big outfits, in a cosy (incestuous) relationship with the insurance companies (and the drug companies) are cleaning up.

Vets put their bills up, insurance companies put the premiums up, kerrrching! They're all happy...because the actual costs haven't gone up that much. Then they manufacture demand by doing treatments that probably aren't necessary as well just to keep the cash flow going and make people think they're fortunate that they insured.

Ends up with those that can, paying through the nose. Those that can't with pets that need treatment not getting it or being euthanased unnecessarily or being abandoned. The only other resort being charities like the PDSA.

It whiffs rather a lot. Same thing with dentists etc. As soon as the insurance companies get a grip prices rocket.

Self insurance is obvs the way but people aren't very financially disciplined. (That and don't go for breeds with known issues...get a Heinz 57 mutt :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:35 pm I've never insured any of my cats, they get regular tick and flea treatments and that's about it. Whether or not they make a one way trip the vets has depended on their age and what's wrong with them. One had its leg pinned, it was young enough to be worth it. The last one had a brain problem that was likely to impossible to cure so that was that.

I miss them when they die but it's only a cat to me, there's plenty more. The current one is a twice rehomed cat that came from a neighbour, very affectionate, very happy to see me but it's still only a cat.

I'm not fussed how people spend their money but it boggles me how much can be spent on pets. Neither do I get the breed thing unless it's a working animal.
I'm a bit like that - probably a bit more attached just because I've no family, so if I have one it's family!

But, it's very cheap, cheerful and quality of life based for me.

The last cat I had, the vet wanted to give it a special diet for a kidney issue and then have me keep it inside all the time to manage it's food etc. But it was an outdoor cat so for him, zero quality of life if I stopped him going out (he' wasn't particularly old). As it was the vet was wrong about the severity of the kidney issue and after an horrific weekend and calls to a vet, he was put down first thing Monday morning. It was right for the cat not to prolong his life if his quality of life was to be reduced so much :(

But, I'm a farmers daughter - whilst I may be attached to an animal/pet, it's all about quality of life and lack of pain; age to a point too as you say about the pinned leg.

Can't comment on dogs as I won't have one! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

At the cat sit house, they have access to the MotoGP in English -TNT I think.

I missed the Moto3 but I had set it to record so wasn't too worried!!

FFS - HOW long for the faff and fannyarsing about before the race coverage? I reckon it's almost an hour of mostly fast forwarding it just to get to watch the Moto3. I saw the Sprint yesterday could have done without the rerun of that (I know, I'm a miserable old git!) and soooooo much stuff about almost everything except the Moto3!! I was very close to giving up and getting the iPad out and watching it in French!!!

If I'm here again, I'll make sure I don't miss it!!! :lol:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:28 pm There were moves afoot to look at/break up some of the big company monopolies on veterinary services. At the moment all the independents keep getting mopped up and the big outfits, in a cosy (incestuous) relationship with the insurance companies (and the drug companies) are cleaning up.

Vets put their bills up, insurance companies put the premiums up, kerrrching! They're all happy...because the actual costs haven't gone up that much. Then they manufacture demand by doing treatments that probably aren't necessary as well just to keep the cash flow going and make people think they're fortunate that they insured.

Ends up with those that can, paying through the nose. Those that can't with pets that need treatment not getting it or being euthanased unnecessarily or being abandoned. The only other resort being charities like the PDSA.

It whiffs rather a lot. Same thing with dentists etc. As soon as the insurance companies get a grip prices rocket.

Self insurance is obvs the way but people aren't very financially disciplined. (That and don't go for breeds with known issues...get a Heinz 57 mutt :D ).
I'm going down the self insurance path as it's just a piss take. Oh we've put the premium up by a £100 (20%) this year.....why, oh the dog will reach 5 this year. Piss off you greedy fucks.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Touch sensitive controls on everything, I'd be fine if they were on budget things but they seem to be treated as a premium option when they are utter rubbish.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:46 pm Touch sensitive controls on everything, I'd be fine if they were on budget things but they seem to be treated as a premium option when they are utter rubbish.
The latest cola machine in 5 guys now has a touch screen lcd display as the "dispense" button. That's literally all it does: turn on the pump.
Why the f@ck would you make it a touchscreen lcd display??
non quod, sed quomodo
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

The wife!
By trade she's a seamstress, ask her to cut shapes, edges whatever out of a piece of fabric.....done
Give her a bread knife and ask her to cut a slice of bread.........you get angles only Pythagoras could dream of, like some demented CNC programmer has been let loose on your bread.
This bmp as I then either have to follow the angle, or square it up, getting, quite literally a wedge of bread.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Our EPH wireless central heating controller.

The second receiver has just shit itself within a 2 year period and you have to buy the Thermostat and receiver together at 80 quid thanks very much. I'll soon have a collection of the half which doesn't shit the bed.

I've wired the boiler directly into an on/off switch for the mean time,just to get hot water and allow me to get over myself.

Tech = more schitt to go wrong. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:05 pm The wife!
By trade she's a seamstress, ask her to cut shapes, edges whatever out of a piece of fabric.....done
Give her a bread knife and ask her to cut a slice of bread.........you get angles only Pythagoras could dream of, like some demented CNC programmer has been let loose on your bread.
This bmp as I then either have to follow the angle, or square it up, getting, quite literally a wedge of bread.

oooo - I love a nice wedge of crusty bread....
non quod, sed quomodo
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

My mate was riding his "gravel" bike along a nearby country lane when 5 scrotes on 3 mopeds/125's, two of them without helmets on (wearing balaclavas) kicked him off. 6K bike trashed, badly bruised and shaken up, he spent 45 minutes on the phone to the police to be told we can't do anything, it'll be impossible to find them, the incident gets posted on local social media and the police response comes in for justifiable criticism, especially as the area of town they originate from gets pinpointed by a few posters as they are seen regularly casing motorbikes and push bikes (Eastbourne has a bad bike theft issue at the moment). He gets a call from the local police Sargeant saying we've seen your post, we think we know who they are but we're still not doing anything about it. He's done a bit more digging and probably the same scrotes kicked someone off their push bike a few weeks ago and they ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung! FFS.

Same scrotes are seen regularly riding their 'peds illegally in the local forest and tearing around the car park and still no police intervention.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:40 pm My mate was riding his "gravel" bike along a nearby country lane when 5 scrotes on 3 mopeds/125's, two of them without helmets on (wearing balaclavas) kicked him off. 6K bike trashed, badly bruised and shaken up, he spent 45 minutes on the phone to the police to be told we can't do anything, it'll be impossible to find them, the incident gets posted on local social media and the police response comes in for justifiable criticism, especially as the area of town they originate from gets pinpointed by a few posters as they are seen regularly casing motorbikes and push bikes (Eastbourne has a bad bike theft issue at the moment). He gets a call from the local police Sargeant saying we've seen your post, we think we know who they are but we're still not doing anything about it. He's done a bit more digging and probably the same scrotes kicked someone off their push bike a few weeks ago and they ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung! FFS.

Same scrotes are seen regularly riding their 'peds illegally in the local forest and tearing around the car park and still no police intervention.
Yeah - but if anybody actually did anything the Daily Heil would be plastered in

"INNOCENT TEENAGERS PERSECUTED!!"
"My little Aaaron wouldn't hurt a fly, lovely little kid he is, them copas are just fascist bully boys" says Charlene (21), mum of 8."

... type stories.

and YES - I DO know that makes me look like a less-than reasonable person - but sometimes reason has fuck all to do with anything these days.
non quod, sed quomodo
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

How things have changed.
Many moons ago I came back from the pub to find my dirt bike had disappeared. Pissed off to the max, phoned the law up, and told them I could hear it blatting around the local scrote estate.
'not a lot we can do ATM sir'
'dont fret, I'll get it back myself'
Went for a 'walk', saw bike coming down the road towards me, kicked the handlebar/brake, scrote went down like a sack of shit. I then 'explained' to him how displeased I was.
I phoned the police back up to tell them I'd got it, a copper was round in 20 minutes wanting a statement.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:40 pm My mate was riding his "gravel" bike along a nearby country lane when 5 scrotes on 3 mopeds/125's, two of them without helmets on (wearing balaclavas) kicked him off. 6K bike trashed, badly bruised and shaken up, he spent 45 minutes on the phone to the police to be told we can't do anything, it'll be impossible to find them, the incident gets posted on local social media and the police response comes in for justifiable criticism, especially as the area of town they originate from gets pinpointed by a few posters as they are seen regularly casing motorbikes and push bikes (Eastbourne has a bad bike theft issue at the moment). He gets a call from the local police Sargeant saying we've seen your post, we think we know who they are but we're still not doing anything about it. He's done a bit more digging and probably the same scrotes kicked someone off their push bike a few weeks ago and they ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung! FFS.

He needs to play the game and make it one of their priority crimes.
SussexPCC wrote:The Commissioner has developed three Public Priorities for 2021/24:
Public Priority 1 – Strengthen policing, tackle crime, prevent harm and anti-social behaviour
Public Priority 2 – Relentless disruption of serious and organised crime
Public Priority 3 – Support and safeguard victims and tackle violence against women and girls
He's at a disadvantage being a man but if he claimed anti-social behaviour by an organised gang then he might have got a better response. He could identify as a woman, it might help.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

SussexPCC wrote:The Commissioner has developed three Public Priorities for 2021/24:
Public Priority 1 – Strengthen policing, tackle crime, prevent harm and anti-social behaviour
Public Priority 2 – Relentless disruption of serious and organised crime
Public Priority 3 – Support and safeguard victims and tackle violence against women and girls
They didn't quote secret priority 4: Obey all commands from OCP executives.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Working in central London, I have colleagues from most of the home counties. Seems most have lost faith in their local Police forces as most forces won't respond to crimes such as shoplifting, anti-social behaviour etc. They claim to respond to violent crime but the reality is often "they don't have an available car in the area".