Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

Count Steer

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:53 pm Surely being an atheist stops you being Jewish, it's difficult to be part of a religion when you don't believe in Gods.
It's an ethnicity so you can't actually stop. See the Wiki on 'Jewish atheism'.

Oddly though you can become Jewish but it's not easy and does involve the religion.

Funny old world.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:22 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:53 pm Surely being an atheist stops you being Jewish, it's difficult to be part of a religion when you don't believe in Gods.
It's an ethnicity so you can't actually stop. See the Wiki on 'Jewish atheism'.

Oddly though you can become Jewish but it's not easy and does involve the religion.

Funny old world.
So becoming Jewish involves the religion but you can thereafter renounce Judaism and become an atheist but remain Jewish?

:lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

It is confusing and illogical. Like all things religious.

If I am right a Hindu, born of a Chinese mother and a Nigerian father would be a Jew, as long as his mother converted to Judaism before he was born.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ian wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:20 am
I generally keep out of here but for some time I've been saying they will use Starmer to get in then they'll get rid of him and Rayner will replace him. Not quite sure how but it will happen.
But that's how politics works in the UK. Vote Blair end up with Brown. Vote Cameron end up with May. Vote Johnson end up with Truss and Sunak.
You go with the leader who has the greatest chance of earning you a win - which is why Labour sticking with Corbyn for so long has almost destroyed them.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:59 pm It is confusing and illogical. Like all things religious.

If I am right a Hindu, born of a Chinese mother and a Nigerian father would be a Jew, as long as his mother converted to Judaism before he was born.
Illogical sums it up. :lol:

Strictly speaking I think you have to be a 'descendant of Abraham' which I guess you either are or you ain't. If you are you could be a Church of the Latter Day Saints member....but you're still a descendant of Abraham. (Hence the matriarchal line thing*).

Converts are in a grey area and I think the religiously orthodox wouldn't willingly recognise them. There are also whole tranches of immigrant peoples living in Israel that some regard as 'second division' - there was an influx of a group from Africa that reported getting pretty shabby treatment iirc. Even some of the, for want of a better term, 'ethnic Israelis' (sabra) don't seem well respected by the religious orthodox groups (and vice versa of course - the military service thing is a particular point of discord).

I guess that's what happens when you mix race theory, politics and religion and stir well.

* also possibly illogical, why not the male line? There is a rationale behind it though. It's probably not both because interbreeding and all that.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:43 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:59 pm It is confusing and illogical. Like all things religious.

Strictly speaking I think you have to be a 'descendant of Abraham' which I guess you either are or you ain't. If you are you could be a Church of the Latter Day Saints member....but you're still a descendant of Abraham. (Hence the matriarchal line thing).

Converts are in a grey area and I think the religiously orthodox wouldn't willingly recognise them. There are also whole tranches of immigrant peoples living in Israel that some regard as 'second division' - there was an influx of a group from Africa that reported getting pretty shabby treatment iirc. Even some of the, for want of a better term, 'ethnic Israelis' (sabra) don't seem well respected by the religious orthodox groups (and vice versa of course - the military service thing is a particular point of discord).

I guess that's what happens when you mix race theory, politics and religion and stir well.

So Judaism contains it's own brand of embedded racism, as well as the external version of ultra-Zionist desire to eliminate Palestinians.

I am glad I am an atheist, it is so much more tolerant. I don't hate people, just religion.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:23 pm

Strictly speaking I think you have to be a 'descendant of Abraham' which I guess you either are or you ain't. If you are you could be a Church of the Latter Day Saints member....but you're still a descendant of Abraham. (Hence the matriarchal line thing).

So Judaism contains it's own brand of embedded racism, as well as the external version of ultra-Zionist desire to eliminate Palestinians.

I am glad I am an atheist, it is so much more tolerant. I don't hate people, just religion.
All religions claim that their God is the only way and that all non-believers in their God are therefore intrinsically inferior.

They are all wrong because from my atheist point of view there is/are no God(s).
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

irie wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:30 pm
All religions claim that their God is the only way and that all non-believers in their God are therefore intrinsically inferior.

They are all wrong because from my atheist point of view there is/are no God(s).
The last time God soke to me He told me atheism is the one true religion. I said I didn't believe Him.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:43 pm why not the male line?
You can be surer of the female line.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I think that may be incorrect. I thought quite a few religions were tolerant / accepting of other religions and non believers.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

There's two thing I hate in this world, those who are intolerant of other races and cultures, and the Dutch.
irie

Post by irie »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:54 pm

I think that may be incorrect. I thought quite a few religions were tolerant / accepting of other religions and non believers ...
... who are still intrinsically inferior.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

He left that late! Wonder how much of the vote he will steal? :think: I suspect quite a lot!

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:44 pm He left that late! Wonder how much of the vote he will steal? :think: I suspect quite a lot!

In Clacton he'll wrap it up, perfect demographic
irie

Post by irie »

Well now, Farage now Reform leader and standing for Parliament! Wouldn't be surprised to see the Conservatives cannibalised 😎👍

Doubtless Steer Calmer et al. will try to diss Farage ...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:10 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:44 pm He left that late! Wonder how much of the vote he will steal? :think: I suspect quite a lot!

In Clacton he'll wrap it up, perfect demographic
Thanks for the complement but I'm not quite perfect.
Clacton though? I've only spent a few hours there, beach huts and coffin dodgers seemed the order of the day.
Like.a down market Siloth with less of a view and a dirty beach, not sure I'd want to swim in that water.

To be fair, I didn't even spend a full day there so there's likely nice bits I missed?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The part where Farage said he'd changed his mind and it wasn't a sign of weakness but of strength was pure comedy gold. Nothing to do with Trump being found guilty on all counts in the US, oh no, sirree. Perish the thought.

I'm sure lots of people have recorded that clip for posterity.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:48 pm The part where Farage said he'd changed his mind and it wasn't a sign of weakness but of strength was pure comedy gold. Nothing to do with Trump being found guilty on all counts in the US, oh no, sirree. Perish the thought.

I'm sure lots of people have recorded that clip for posterity.
Aye, he was going to America to perform Stormy Danielle's stand in duties for Trump but being a keen eyed grifter he's spotted that chance has gone so he'll go back to shouting at the sea..
Looking on the bright side he'll split the conservative vote even further now theyve given him the oxygen of publicity.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

demographic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:59 pm Looking on the bright side he'll split the conservative vote even further now theyve given him the oxygen of publicity.
Yes. It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good.

And Farage has wind to spare...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Just when you think politics couldn't sink any lower.........another odious twat to get time on the TV. Roll on independence day!!