Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

gremlin

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by gremlin »

I'm still reeling from the 'Let's bring back National Service' wheeze. For the love of fucking God, really?! What a shower of shite the Tories have morphed into....

I've said it before, but with the Tories shifting to the right, Labour not knowing if it's hard left, middle left of somewhere in between, you'd think the Lib Dems could emerge as the common sense, middle ground party. Where the fuck are they? Ed who?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:54 am
Count Steer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:33 am State pension is paid 'untaxed' because it is lower than the bottom tax threshold
The personal allowance threshold is £12,570.

My state pension of £1,032.64 every 4 weeks (£13,461/yr) is higher than the personal allowance threshold.

So I pay tax at 20% on £891 of my state pension.

Crazy. :lol:
£1032.64? Nice. :thumbup:

Did you buy extra years? I should really have said basic new State Pension which is £220/week.

Same conundrum with Minimum/Living wage. If it's the bare minimum needed to live on, why tax it?? (You don't have to do many hours at £11.44/h to crash through the threshold....implying that £12,570pa is really the living wage, after that a fifth is 'spare' cash.

:crazy:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:27 am Labour just want to give all your money away to immigrants and work shy lay-abouts.
Does that not happen now anyway?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:27 am I'm still reeling from the 'Let's bring back National Service' wheeze. For the love of fucking God, really?! What a shower of shite the Tories have morphed into....

I've said it before, but with the Tories shifting to the right, Labour not knowing if it's hard left, middle left of somewhere in between, you'd think the Lib Dems could emerge as the common sense, middle ground party. Where the fuck are they? Ed who?
It's pretty remarkable that their one sniff of power, in coalition, reduced them to political debris for so long. It's something to consider if there is a hung parliament. The Lib Dems (if their collective memory is any good) aren't going to be hopping into bed with another party with any great alacrity.
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:27 am I'm still reeling
Did you video yourself doing that?

I’ve often wondered what it means.
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:46 am
irie wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:54 am
Count Steer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:33 am State pension is paid 'untaxed' because it is lower than the bottom tax threshold
The personal allowance threshold is £12,570.

My state pension of £1,032.64 every 4 weeks (£13,461/yr) is higher than the personal allowance threshold.

So I pay tax at 20% on £891 of my state pension.

Crazy. :lol:
£1032.64? Nice. :thumbup:

Did you buy extra years? I should really have said basic new State Pension which is £220/week.

Same conundrum with Minimum/Living wage. If it's the bare minimum needed to live on, why tax it?? (You don't have to do many hours at £11.44/h to crash through the threshold....implying that £12,570pa is really the living wage, after that a fifth is 'spare' cash.

:crazy:
SERPS
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Love these cartoons.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240529_065036_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240529_065036_Chrome~2.jpg (195.04 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Screenshot_20240529_070150_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240529_070150_Chrome~2.jpg (226.81 KiB) Viewed 583 times
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Nice to know racists are still welcome in the Labour party.
BBC News - Diane Abbott readmitted as Labour MP after race row probe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69040616
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mussels wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:16 am Nice to know racists are still welcome in the Labour party.

The Labour Party clearly think that she stands a good chance of winning Hackney North and Stoke Newington as an Independent.

How to prevent that? Give her back the whip.

*Edit* Ooops, just come up on the BBC that Abbott says she has been barred from standing as a Labour candidate. So they're happy to have her in the Party but not as an MP. What a nasty, underhand bunch of twats the Labour Party are.

Just like all political parties I suppose, deep down.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Yambo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:47 am
Mussels wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:16 am Nice to know racists are still welcome in the Labour party.

The Labour Party clearly think that she stands a good chance of winning Hackney North and Stoke Newington as an Independent.

*Edit* Ooops, just come up on the BBC that Abbott says she has been barred from standing as a Labour candidate. So they're happy to have her in the Party but not as an MP. What a nasty, underhand bunch of twats the Labour Party are.

Of course she can't be the candidate, she is the perfect target for all the underhanded shenanigans that go on in a campaign. Remember when the Mail said she couldn't put her shoes on properly? She also showed incredible lack of judgement when she said jews only suffered as much as gingers and that is sufficient grounds to deselect her alone. The fact she apologised is the reason they couldn't keep her out of the party.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I thought that an apology made everything OK.

Everybody who says 'the wrong thing' just has to apologise. The Pope has just done it after using the word 'faggot'.

Racist, homophobic, Islamophobic . . . , any remarks about any group that may cause 'offence' are immediately forgotten and can be ignored after the twat that uttered them apologises. Dem's da roolz.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Quite neatly Machiavellian really. 'You can come back in - they couldn't not given the result of the deliberations - but you can't stand as a candidate'.

So what does she do? Quit and stand as an independent? 'OK' says the party 'that's :thumbup: '

(If she wins they say *shrug*, 'She's not one of ours' and she's hardly likely to vote with the Tories').

If she accepts it'll be 'Diane Who? Didn't she work for Jeremy Thingy?' in a couple of months.

There'll probably be a book for pulping along with Truss's before long. Estimated sales....ooh...36.
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yambo wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:47 am
Mussels wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:16 am

Oh no she hasn't!
BBC wrote:Labour leader Keir Starmer says Diane Abbott has not been barred from standing as a Labour candidate, hours after the veteran MP said she had
The pantomime continues!
irie

Post by irie »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 61022.html

Rayner knows that by backing Abbott and her anti-semitism she is indirectly attacking Starmer and his wife Victoria (who is Jewish) and their children. The agenda? Rayner's ambition is to be Labour leader and doesn't give a flying fuck who gets in her way. Nasty piece of of work.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:51 pm https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 61022.html

Rayner knows that by backing Abbott and her anti-semitism she is indirectly attacking Starmer and his wife Victoria (who is Jewish) and their children. The agenda? Rayner's ambition is to be Labour leader and doesn't give a flying fuck who gets in her way. Nasty piece of of work.
Anti-semitism? The founder of Momentum was on the radio defending Diane Abbott yesterday - which would suggest he doesn't think she is.
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:11 pm
irie wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:51 pm https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 61022.html

Anti-semitism? The founder of Momentum was on the radio defending Diane Abbott yesterday - which would suggest he doesn't think she is.
Lansman was brought up in an Orthodox Jewish family but is now a self-professed atheist. Politics trumps all. You need to try harder than this.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:22 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:11 pm

Lansman was brought up in an Orthodox Jewish family but is now a self-professed atheist. You need to try harder than this.
Being an atheist doesn't mean he's not Jewish and he has had quite a lot to say on the topic of antisemitism and whether it's a problem in the Labour Party. There's quite a lot of information between the first and last paragraph in the Wikipedia entry. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Surely being an atheist stops you being Jewish, it's difficult to be part of a religion when you don't believe in Gods.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:53 pm Surely being an atheist stops you being Jewish, it's difficult to be part of a religion when you don't believe in Gods.
w
The Jewish religion is as daft as the Mormons, who 'baptise' dead people. The Jews reckon you are Jewish if your Mum was Jewish, even if you are an atheist.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I generally keep out of here but for some time I've been saying they will use Starmer to get in then they'll get rid of him and Rayner will replace him. Not quite sure how but it will happen.