Talk to me about braking with the rear brake

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Noggin

Talk to me about braking with the rear brake

Post by Noggin »

I know, I know - 99.9% of bikers don't ever use the rear brake and it's basically useless!!!

I used to be similar TBF - but now, for me, downhill braking with the front is currently causing a fair bit of pain through my elbow.

And I know that this is probably yet another stupid question, but I feel like all the things I used to do instinctively/naturally I am having to relearn - this time without people to help

I'm trying to reprogram to use the rear a lot more, especially downhill. Downsides are that I'm used to riding with my toes on the pegs, I have tiny feet (relative to my height!) so the 'reach' to the rear brake makes rear braking unexpectedly more difficult; and, for now, due to a lack of decent core muscles, gripping the tank and staying upright whilst moving my right foot can feel a bit odd!!

So -

When are we supposed to use it?

Why do you use it? (for those that do!!)

Please be a bit gentle - K.I.S.S. kinda stuff as too wordy and my brain does not play the reading game :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Re: Talk to me about braking with the rear brake

Post by Yorick »

Firstly, move the lever to where it's most useful.
Mr Nozzle

Post by Mr Nozzle »

I use the rear brake for slow speed manoeuvres, revs up and control speed with rear brake. Basic bike skills. Whilst riding, as you say, going down hill you are better off not putting too much on the front end.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:20 pm Firstly, move the lever to where it's most useful.
I've been trying not change too much, but yes, now I have realised how awkward downhill braking is, I may have to do that :oops:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm I know, I know - 99.9% of bikers don't ever use the rear brake and it's basically useless!!!
Really? Errr no, not really.

1. Find out whether it works. Empty car park, 25-30mph, straight line, gradually increase pressure

2. Find out what braking system it is (ABS, or linked, etc)

3. If you want to slow a lot, use the front brake

4. As you brake harder, the bike's weight is more over the front, so the rear brake can't be as effective

5. Front brake is designed to stop you from high speeds, rear better at lower speeds

6. See '5'. Grab the front in a slow tight turn = fall. See '2' if linked, rear will apply some front too.

7. See '6', use to SLOW - not STOP - in tight turns.

8. See '7'. To stop in a tight turn, bring the bike up and straight, then stop.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm I know, I know - 99.9% of bikers don't ever use the rear brake and it's basically useless!!!
Really? Errr no, not really.
Probably should have put one of these :roll: or :1 after the statement!!

But if you think back to when I was asking about the rear brake on the Monster, virtually everyone told me not to worry about it as it's a nice to have, not a necessity!!

I really don't agree, probably more to do with where I live than anything else as I know I rarely used the rear in the uk!! :lol: :lol:

Horse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm 1. Find out whether it works. Empty car park, 25-30mph, straight line, gradually increase pressure

2. Find out what braking system it is (ABS, or linked, etc)

3. If you want to slow a lit, use the front brake

4. As you brake harder, the bike's weight is mire over the front, so the rear brake can't be as effective

5. Front brake is designed to stop you from high speeds, rear better at lower speeds

6. See '5'. Grab the front in a slow tight turn = fall. See '2' if linked, rear will apply some front too.

7. See '6', use to SLOW - not STOP - in tight turns.

8. See '7'. To stop in a tight turn, bring tge bike up and straight, then stop.
Definitely works

Need to check the info on the bike/age cos I'm not 100% sure - but I learnt to ride on a Blackbird with linked brakes, so am ok with them :)

And thanx. Makes sense and is what I thought, but I'm kinda second guessing myself at the moment in my 'relearning' process :( :(
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I use the rear brake all the time, braking is more stable if you use the front and rear brakes together, it's how I ride, I find a bike with no rear brake very difficult to ride.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:21 pm I use the rear brake all the time, braking is more stable if you use the front and rear brakes together, it's how I ride, I find a bike with no rear brake very difficult to ride.
Moi aussi, M. Fromage.

Many riders use the front brake only when coming to a stop. I much preferred the rear brake for the last 'nip'. Probably from riding stodgy-suspension tourers :)
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

It's really only for steadying a wheelstand if you're about to go over the back. Otherwise it's a bit nesh.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:30 pm It's really only for steadying a wheelstand if you're about to go over the back. Otherwise it's a bit nesh.
Funnily enough, John McGuinness told me that one day - then admitted it hadn't worked for him as he'd broken a bone in his hand messing up a wheelie on an off roader!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I know - claim to fame!! :lol:
Last edited by Noggin on Sun May 26, 2024 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's a very useful tool on almost any road bike. All the slow stuff and U turns would be less easy without a rear brake. Many a time it's pulled me out of the fire when I've dicked a bend,or encountered muck/gravel. Essential tool for the kit.
I see so many bikers trailing their legs awkwardly when in traffic,or slowing down,they're strangers the the magic of the rear brake and the clutch biting point.

My H1 may as well have no brakes if I didn't use the rear,but that's a different story!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I suspect that one of the reasons I've not often used the rear brake is that it was always a challenge to 'get' to it (size 4 feet, sometimes size 5 boots!). I am not sure now how much, if any, adjustment was available on the various bikes, but I suspect I learnt to ride without mostly because it was difficult to get to it. Maybe, but also I was 'babied' by having linked brakes on the BB when I learnt.

Will see if I can get someone to help me adjust it for easier reach (and make a note of the original settings for return to owner!!). I have been using it more the last week, mainly because it reduces the pain in my arm (elbow mostly!) if I don't use the front brake!! The joys of being a spazz :roll: :roll:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:42 pm It's a very useful tool on almost any road bike. All the slow stuff and U turns would be less easy without a rear brake. Many a time it's pulled me out of the fire when I've dicked a bend,or encountered muck/gravel. Essential tool for the kit.
I see so many bikers trailing their legs awkwardly when in traffic,or slowing down,they're strangers the the magic of the rear brake and the clutch biting point.

My H1 may as well have no brakes if I didn't use the rear,but that's a different story!
Thank you

I'm definitely using more now here - the roads are a bit different to back home!! LOL

Maybe I used it more than I remember. (Long time etc etc all automatic etc etc ).
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Noggin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:46 pm I suspect that one of the reasons I've not often used the rear brake is that it was always a challenge to 'get' to it (size 4 feet, sometimes size 5 boots!). I am not sure now how much, if any, adjustment was available on the various bikes, but I suspect I learnt to ride without mostly because it was difficult to get to it. Maybe, but also I was 'babied' by having linked brakes on the BB when I learnt.

Will see if I can get someone to help me adjust it for easier reach (and make a note of the original settings for return to owner!!). I have been using it more the last week, mainly because it reduces the pain in my arm (elbow mostly!) if I don't use the front brake!! The joys of being a spazz :roll: :roll:
If it's steel, it wouldn't be that difficult to 'cut and shut' it to make it a bit shorter.

Or you could do what Gerald did, long ago on another planet connected to Earth via the Compuserve motorcycle forum and create your own version of the 'Spoon Boot'...

He hammered a spoon flat in his garage, then heated the handle end up, and melted it into his boot, heaving the flat bit projecting out so he could reach the gearshift!

I'm not kidding.
Taff

Post by Taff »

If we're still talking CBF1000, then it also has linked brakes, IIRC one of the three pistons in the rear come on with the front.

I always use the rear when slowing from high speed, e.g. coming to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, I'll be braking with both because I feel that the bike is more 'level' and stable, as I'm tipping into the roundabout I'll be letting off the front but may keep dragging the rear for a little bit longer
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I use rear brake all the time. For slow control, downhill, especially if it's slippery and I use both brakes for slowing down and stopping. If I trail brake I release the front brakes before the back brake for stability.

It was something that I had to practice as it didn't come naturally and my ankle was stiff to begin with but now I do it all of the time subconsciously.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taff wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:40 pm If we're still talking CBF1000, then it also has linked brakes, IIRC one of the three pistons in the rear come on with the front.

I always use the rear when slowing from high speed, e.g. coming to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, I'll be braking with both because I feel that the bike is more 'level' and stable
Did some experiments when a trainee had a Honda with linked brakes. Definitely smoother e-stops when using both hand and foot controls (can't really say 'both brakes when they're linked!).
Taff wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:40 pm as I'm tipping into the roundabout I'll be letting off the front but may keep dragging the rear for a little bit longer
Is that 'always', or 'just on occasiins when trail braking'?

If 'always' that means you're limiting your options if something changes, carrying speed late into the junction.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Horse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:13 pm
Taff wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:40 pm If we're still talking CBF1000, then it also has linked brakes, IIRC one of the three pistons in the rear come on with the front.

I always use the rear when slowing from high speed, e.g. coming to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, I'll be braking with both because I feel that the bike is more 'level' and stable
Did some experiments when a trainee had a Honda with linked brakes. Definitely smoother e-stops when using both hand and foot controls (can't really say 'both brakes when they're linked!).
Taff wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:40 pm as I'm tipping into the roundabout I'll be letting off the front but may keep dragging the rear for a little bit longer
Is that 'always', or 'just on occasiins when trail braking'?

If 'always' that means you're limiting your options if something changes, carrying speed late into the junction.
I pretty much only ride to get to work and back, same roundabouts twice a day and they have really good visibility... One of them is a roundabout in the middle of a dual carriageway with no other junctions, it's straight on or u turn🤷
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:38 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:46 pm I suspect that one of the reasons I've not often used the rear brake is that it was always a challenge to 'get' to it (size 4 feet, sometimes size 5 boots!). I am not sure now how much, if any, adjustment was available on the various bikes, but I suspect I learnt to ride without mostly because it was difficult to get to it. Maybe, but also I was 'babied' by having linked brakes on the BB when I learnt.

If it's steel, it wouldn't be that difficult to 'cut and shut' it to make it a bit shorter.

Or you could do what Gerald did, long ago on another planet connected to Earth via the Compuserve motorcycle forum and create your own version of the 'Spoon Boot'...

He hammered a spoon flat in his garage, then heated the handle end up, and melted it into his boot, heaving the flat bit projecting out so he could reach the gearshift!

I'm not kidding.
I can't do any major adjustments, it's not my bike!!! LOL

And as I spend a fair amount of time walking in my boots, I can't see me adding anything!! LOL

will have to look and see what adjustment there is on position, if none, might look at the price of aftermarket ones if they are different. If not, will have to learn to move my foot more!!!

Horse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:13 pm

I'm not 100% sure I noticed the difference if I'm completely honest, but then I wasn't an experienced rider and did (still do) just ride what I had without being technical :oops: . I did delink the brakes on the last BB but just because I felt I should ride a bike that had two brakes and learn better! Not sure that worked if I can't remember what I used to do!! LOL

It is good to see a few posts confirming that rear brakes are a good/useful thing - I did feel the general feeling was that I was being a wuss when I was trying to get the rear brake working on the Monster!! LOL But, whilst I managed in general, down a mountain full of hairpins in the wet was something I never did simply cos of the lack of rear brake!!!

Trinity765 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 pm I use rear brake all the time. For slow control, downhill, especially if it's slippery and I use both brakes for slowing down and stopping. If I trail brake I release the front brakes before the back brake for stability.

It was something that I had to practice as it didn't come naturally and my ankle was stiff to begin with but now I do it all of the time subconsciously.
It definitely doesn't come naturally to me, but 20 ish years of riding without really using it is probably the issue!! LOL I can see the need for it and I suspect that I did use it in some of the situations you and others mention. But it seems so long ago that I really can't remember what I sued to do :( Downside of going from riding like a raving loony anytime I could, to not riding! Just a handful of times 'not every year' since 2017 :( :(

It's basically why I'm asking what I know could be perceived as stupid questions. I really just can't remember what I used to do. Sometimes it's just to check that I am doing what I think I should but am not sure. But, like with this braking thing, I really need some clarification before I go play (maybe tomorrow if it's not p'ing down!) and then I'll probably work out what I was doing or at the least, work out what I should be doing!! LOL

Far too complicated having to relearn on my own!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It sounds like you're over thinking riding, do what feels right on the bike and only go as fast as you feel safe and you won't go far wrong.