Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
mangocrazy

Re: Stuff you've cooked/baked/made today

Post by mangocrazy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 pm The brown loaf failed - again. Well, it'll be used, but it never rises with wholewheat flour the way it does with multigrain or almost any other I've tried! Next week I'll try half and half with white bread flour and see if that works better.
I use half and half white/wholemeal and to be honest it looks just the same, but is definitely not as heavy and seems to rise better. I've also started making my mixes wetter and that seems to improve the rise. Try leaving the amount of water the same and substituting half of the wholemeal flour for white.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:37 pm The brown loaf failed - again. Well, it'll be used, but it never rises with wholewheat flour the way it does with multigrain or almost any other I've tried! Next week I'll try half and half with white bread flour and see if that works better.
I use half and half white/wholemeal and to be honest it looks just the same, but is definitely not as heavy and seems to rise better. I've also started making my mixes wetter and that seems to improve the rise. Try leaving the amount of water the same and substituting half of the wholemeal flour for white.
Thanx, I'll give that a go next time. I've tried with soda bread and various 'normal' bread recipes but none seem to like the wholewheat!! I made an awesome multigrain loaf last week and that rose how I think they should - but the wholewheat ones are always a visual disappointment and bloody heavy to eat!! I know they are going to be heavy and not rise much cos they never rise much when proving :(

Todays was quite wet, the recipe was something like 400g wholewheat (or other type) and 100g of white bread flour. So I'll definitely be trying half and half next time :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I substitute 50ml of the water for olive oil - it seems to keep the loaf moister for longer. Also use fresh yeast (if you don't already) - it's readily available in French supermarkets near us.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Last night's baking becomes this morning's breakfast. White loaf for Mrs Mango, wholemeal for me. Flour courtesy of Gilchester Organics (unbleached in the case of the white flour).

DSCF4025.JPG
DSCF4025.JPG (731.6 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Those loaves look amazing!
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:28 pm I substitute 50ml of the water for olive oil - it seems to keep the loaf moister for longer. Also use fresh yeast (if you don't already) - it's readily available in French supermarkets near us.
I keep buying fresh yeast and then actually baking :roll: And the nearest place that sells it is 40 mins away :( I need to plan better :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well, totally failed on buy gravy granules (went to the valley but went to the wrong supermarket :roll: and didn't have the arm to go to the other one!!)! So I MTFU and made some :oops: - not too bad, but there were almost no juices from roasting the joint, so it was a mix of worcestershire, soy and marmite!!!

It's ok. Not great, but it was better than no gravy. The mint sauce helped :D

I know it's served in a bowl - lots of reasons, but spazzyness and lack of space for big plates AND bowls!! :D

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Chicken and leek pies! I've gat enough pastry and filling for about 4 or 6 more, just need to make space in the freezer :D :D

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

IMG_1607.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 395 times
Worlds most unhealthy salad.😂😂

Mrs M is complaining that I’m a “Feeder”.😂
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I had a baking head on today so -

Crumpets - no photo cos the batter was a bit stodgy and they didn't ocme out that well - tasted alright though :1

Wholemeal bread - Reckon it's the best yet, so I'm very happy :D (If I ever get to live somewhere with a proper sized kitchen, I really want to try an bread machine :D :D)

Malt Loaf - Originally I'd planned to make two small ones then realised I only have one small loaf tin so I made one big one. This is bloody good :D Some will have to go in the freezer (when I sort it out and make space in there!) and some I've sliced to take to the valley tomorrow and share with some friends :D :D

I also made liver and onions, but that really didn't come out well. The liver disintegrated :lol: :lol: So I almost have a liver, bacon and onion hash, especially when added to mash :lol: :lol: :lol:

But it's made me want to get some more lamb's liver and try again!!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

@Noggin that malt loaf looks amazing
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:39 pm @Noggin that malt loaf looks amazing
Thank you - tastes bloody good you know, even if I'm the only one that's tested it so far!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:44 pm
Thank you - tastes bloody good you know, even if I'm the only one that's tested it so far!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Could it be done in a bread making machine?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:46 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:44 pm
Could it be done in a bread making machine?
Not really as it doesn't need to prove/rise.

Well, if you want to mix it then put it in a bread making machine to bake it, that would probably work :D

Recipe here -
Malt Loaf
110g Sultanas
110g Raisins I used all Sultanas)
40g Unsalted butter (softened)
145ml cold black tea
175g Self raising/ gateau flour
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 pinch Salt
110 grams Unrefined Dark Muscovado Sugar
1 Large egg (beaten)
1 tbsp Malt extract

Step 1:
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and flour a 450g/1lb loaf tin.

Step 2:
Put the sultanas, raisins, butter and tea into a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.

Step 3:
Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.

Step 4:
Pour in the warm fruit mixture and add the beaten egg and malt extract. Mix well until blended.

Step 5:
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for for 35 - 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Grease the tin very well!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I made sausages today!! :lol:

No idea what they taste like - will test in the morning!! (Other plans for food tonight! LOL)

But, will be interesting to try with the mincer I have at home as the one I've used today creates loads of air in the sausages :(

I did 'play' with them a bit to try and reduce the air into the joining skins rather than the actual sausage, and I can see how it happens (pushing the meat down, then a gap, then pushing more down etc Hey ho, they'll get pricked when they're cooked I guess!! :lol: :lol: