In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Lutin

Re: In todays news...

Post by Lutin »

From the Beeb - UK watchdog looking into Microsoft AI taking screenshots
The UK data watchdog says it is "making enquiries with Microsoft" over a new feature that can take screenshots of your laptop every few seconds.

Microsoft says Recall, which will store encrypted snapshots locally on your computer, is exclusive to its forthcoming Copilot+ PCs.

But the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) says it is contacting Microsoft for more information on the safety of the product, which privacy campaigners have called a potential "privacy nightmare".

Microsoft says Recall is an "optional experience" and it is committed to privacy and security.

According to its website, users "can limit which snapshots Recall collects".

"Recall data is only stored locally and not accessed by Microsoft or anyone who does not have device access," the firm said in a statement.

And it said a would-be hacker would need to gain physical access to your device, unlock it and sign in before they could access saved screenshots.

But an ICO spokesperson said firms must "rigorously assess and mitigate risks to peoples' rights and freedoms" before bringing any new products to market.

"We are making enquiries with Microsoft to understand the safeguards in place to protect user privacy," they said.
and
According to Microsoft, Recall will not moderate or remove information from screenshots which contain passwords or financial account information.

So, that'll be the hackers lining up to crack this as soon as possible.

Is this another "feature" that is enabled by default? Not that MS would be that sneaky, surely?
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Please don't worry, Microsoft is the most ethical of companies and would never release anything new without the most stringent testing and your express permission.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Struggling to see why any user would want such a feature.

I suppose it would help police investigations if they got hold of a crims computer or could access it remotely or delivered a small bit of software that uploads the snapshots......
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm a little bit "err...so what?" about it.

Not because I think it's OK for Microsoft to be screenshotting you or anything like that, but because anything and everything you do on your PC has to go through WIndows* anyway - would M$ (couldn't resist, sorry) even need to screenshot to be nabbing your info?

*Anyone who mentions Linux can STFU, you know what I mean
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am *Anyone who mentions Linux can STFU, you know what I mean
So... Apple?

I don't use Apple, just wondering. :D
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Vennells desperately trying to stop further incriminating herself at the Post Office Inquiry. 🤬😡
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:57 pm Vennells desperately trying to stop further incriminating herself at the Post Office Inquiry. 🤬😡
Nobody told me anything and I didn't think to ask, but I'm not incompetent and there wasn't a conspiracy against me.
Cry, cry, cry.

How long before she blames the patriarchy?
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:08 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:57 pm Vennells desperately trying to stop further incriminating herself at the Post Office Inquiry. 🤬😡
Nobody told me anything and I didn't think to ask, but I'm not incompetent and there wasn't a conspiracy against me.
Cry, cry, cry.

How long before she blames the patriarchy?
She'll for sure do that before blaming her Sky Fairy for making her lie through her halo.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rishi Sunak's got an erection. Although the radio was a bit crackly, so I might have misheard.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Horse wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:43 pm Rishi Sunak's got an erection. Although the radio was a bit crackly, so I might have misheard.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Happened a few years ago but it's in todays news because presumably the report has been released today, a convicted child rapist was tied up, raped and murdered by another prisoner in prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c900qkg17n4o

I'm struggling to feel any sympathy with the victim.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:19 pm Happened a few years ago but it's in todays news because presumably the report has been released today, a convicted child rapist was tied up, raped and murdered by another prisoner in prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c900qkg17n4o

I'm struggling to feel any sympathy with the victim.
Oh dear. Never mind
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

"We're hiring! Blaggards, scumbags, scoundrels, wastrels and the worse of society welcome to apply"

Theatre job advert terms 'position people as inferior'

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd114jv832mo

Cracks me up when the liberal elite of North London are trying so desperately to out-woke one another that they manage to offend absolutely everyone in one fell swoop. Nice work, lads/lasses/...er...'ladesses'?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Working class is now on a par with criminality? Jaysus fook.

*Idly wonders what being 'underclass' entails....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I'm turning up for the interview dressed as a dastardly pirate with a wooden leg.

Job's in the fecking bag. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I decided to Google 'criminal class'....

Identifying a criminal class? Chadwick and other reformers identified a criminal group within the working class. This group possessed the worst habits of the class as a whole. These habits were then given as the causes of crime. The issue was one of 'bad' habits and vices.

...and...

The criminal class was made up of those members of society who 'will not work', usually due to a moral defect. Mayhew argued that this disreputable group of people was made up of vagrants, professional beggars and their dependants, cheats and their dependants, thieves and their dependants, and prostitutes.

I guess they want someone to look after the Box Office takings. :lol:

Adds a new meaning to 'stealing the scene' though.

Eeeh, Camden, what's it like eh?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:10 am I decided to Google 'criminal class'....

This group possessed the worst habits of the class as a whole. These habits were then given as the causes of crime. The issue was one of 'bad' habits and vices.

The criminal class was made up of those members of society who 'will not work', usually due to a moral defect. Mayhew argued that this disreputable group of people was made up of vagrants, professional beggars and their dependants, cheats and their dependants, thieves and their dependants, and prostitutes.

I'd say this describes quite a few middle and upper classes - especially those that go into politics :1
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I think it's pretty standard, just badly worded in that example.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Whoopee! Net migration is down 10%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce99y7l741po

From last year's population of Leeds, it's now the population of Sheffield plus Cambridge. No wonder all you see as you travel around the country are green fields being turned into housing estates.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 am "We're hiring! Blaggards, scumbags, scoundrels, wastrels and the worse of society welcome to apply"

Theatre job advert terms 'position people as inferior'

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd114jv832mo

Cracks me up when the liberal elite of North London are trying so desperately to out-woke one another that they manage to offend absolutely everyone in one fell swoop. Nice work, lads/lasses/...er...'ladesses'?

Were I ever to do any recruiting for a business of my own, I would blatantly exclude criminals. Aren’t I awful!