Moulded Ear Plugs

Anything you like about motorbikes
Noggin

Moulded Ear Plugs

Post by Noggin »

I have a set of proper moulded plugs that are maybe 12-15 years old. They aren't 100% comfy any more - who knew your ears change shape as you get older as well as most of the rest of you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could never get the little conical type plugs to sit right in both ears back when I tried and I suspect there is zero chance of managing it now with a spazzy arm - which is also a bit of an issue for the current moulded ones, I can't put then in as you should but I seem to manage ok with them, generally!!

I've been looking at these ones, has anyone had any experience of them or this type?

I suspect they'll be an issue to mould cos of the arm, but I'm visiting friends in a couple of weeks that could help me sort it :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Nordboy

Re: Moulded Ear Plugs

Post by Nordboy »

I'm guessing they're self mould ones? I have moulded earplugs but they're moulded and made by a company called Emtec. I get them for work so have 5/6 sets over the last 20 yrs. The ones I had moulded 20 yrs ago still sort of fit me but they are definitely a slightly different shape from the ones I have now.
We also get moulded ones for our comms, we have to get all earplugs re-done every 5 yrs or so, due to the ear changing shape.

Tbh, I'm not sure how well the self mould ones would really be, and if you didn't do it properly then it probably renders them useless. They're only £30'ish though, the ones I get are a load more expensive than that. Just lucky I don't have to pay for them.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Just had my 3rd set done by these people :

https://minervahearing.co.uk/

They are very good. Had an accident last November which resulted in one ear cannal getting damaged so new moulds sorted it. Not cheap but they are only up the road and service is brill - and it's a great product. I also use a ear paste / cream which helps a lot - makes putting them in and out a lot easier and they ''seal'' better

Give them a bell and see what they say

Alan .
Skub

Post by Skub »

I tried the diy jobbies. They were shit. :lol:

Or maybe I was shit at making them.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Nordboy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:35 pm I'm guessing they're self mould ones? I have moulded earplugs but they're moulded and made by a company called Emtec. I get them for work so have 5/6 sets over the last 20 yrs. The ones I had moulded 20 yrs ago still sort of fit me but they are definitely a slightly different shape from the ones I have now.
We also get moulded ones for our comms, we have to get all earplugs re-done every 5 yrs or so, due to the ear changing shape.

Tbh, I'm not sure how well the self mould ones would really be, and if you didn't do it properly then it probably renders them useless. They're only £30'ish though, the ones I get are a load more expensive than that. Just lucky I don't have to pay for them.
I'd definitely prefer the ones custom moulded by a company (can't remember who did the ones I have!) but I haven't seen anyone doing it here. The ones I have were moulded at Castle Combe at some bike show or something!!! LOL Brilliant things so I'd definitely prefer to replace them.

If I do try the self mould ones, I'll be getting someone to help as I don't think I'll be able to do either side very well!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Alan PBTD wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm Just had my 3rd set done by these people :

https://minervahearing.co.uk/

They are very good. Had an accident last November which resulted in one ear cannal getting damaged so new moulds sorted it. Not cheap but they are only up the road and service is brill - and it's a great product. I also use a ear paste / cream which helps a lot - makes putting them in and out a lot easier and they ''seal'' better

Give them a bell and see what they say

Alan .
If I was in the uk, it would definitely be worth a call, but I'm not sure when I'll be back next - probably not till next year! But as I have tinnitus in one ear after a cycle accident (head injury) I don't want to risk riding without anything incase I make it worse or cause it in the other ear :(

Skub wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:09 pm I tried the diy jobbies. They were shit. :lol:

Or maybe I was shit at making them.
:( :( I'll have to talk to my mates down in La Creuse where I'm heading in a couple of weeks and see if one of them is up for helping!!!
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Sorry didnt realise u are abroad !

They are very clever people - was taking to them about my Dads mega expensive all singing / dancing hearing aids which are totally useless as - he's 87 they are so small he struggles to put them in his ears. They do a ''mould'' of his ear cannal to accept the new hearing aid but then make it with a toggle so he can put them in easy. So simple but brilliant !

They used to do a ''wired'' ear plug for intercomms ( my last set ) - but thave dropped them from the range - I was asking about a ''bluetooth'' version - cos every now and again I'd forget to unplug them and I'd pull them out when taking my lid off !

DId ask about proper In ear Monitors - for interest but they said the units are too big to put on with a crash helmet.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Alan PBTD wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:47 pm Sorry didnt realise u are abroad !

They are very clever people - was taking to them about my Dads mega expensive all singing / dancing hearing aids which are totally useless as - he's 87 they are so small he struggles to put them in his ears. They do a ''mould'' of his ear cannal to accept the new hearing aid but then make it with a toggle so he can put them in easy. So simple but brilliant !

They used to do a ''wired'' ear plug for intercomms ( my last set ) - but thave dropped them from the range - I was asking about a ''bluetooth'' version - cos every now and again I'd forget to unplug them and I'd pull them out when taking my lid off !

DId ask about proper In ear Monitors - for interest but they said the units are too big to put on with a crash helmet.
I remember that the guys I got mine from also did ones for intercom or to connect to a phone. But I can't remember who they were, so I can't check! LOL

If I'm back and have time to find a place and get to them, I'll definitely try and sort it. But I will try and make friends with some bikers here and find out if I can get similar done over this way :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

This lot are Fronch and have a few locations. Spendy mind.

https://www.auditionconfort.com/gb/21-custom-ear-plugs
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:01 am This lot are Fronch and have a few locations. Spendy mind.

TBF, I don't think that's much more than UK co prices, the link Alan posted is a comparative price. Kinda the price I'd expected, spendy indeed, but the first pair has lasted possibly 15 years!! :D :D

I've asked the friend I'm going to stay with if there's anyone local to him, so will see what happens. These guys are about 3 hours from him, but hopefully there's somewhere closer :D :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

THIs reminds me I need to get mine redone next time I'm at a bike show
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:01 am This lot are Fronch and have a few locations. Spendy mind.

TBF, I don't think that's much more than UK co prices, the link Alan posted is a comparative price. Kinda the price I'd expected, spendy indeed, but the first pair has lasted possibly 15 years!! :D :D

I've asked the friend I'm going to stay with if there's anyone local to him, so will see what happens. These guys are about 3 hours from him, but hopefully there's somewhere closer :D :D
I remembered that one of the local branches of an optician chain do custom earplugs. They have an audiologist that tours various local branches (I wanted some for swimming and they do swim, drum, bike etc types, but got recommended an audiology practice not far away). So, if you Google 'audiologistes alpes' you'll find some that might be worth investigating.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:21 am
Noggin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 am

I remembered that one of the local branches of an optician chain do custom earplugs. They have an audiologist that tours various local branches (I wanted some for swimming and they do swim, drum, bike etc types, but got recommended an audiology practice not far away). So, if you Google 'audiologistes alpes' you'll find some that might be worth investigating.
I've had a search, but google is not and never has been my friend! LOL And each place I clicked on only talked about hearing aids, so I'd need to call and confirm they do ear plugs. (My vocab would increase for sure! LOL)

There's a place in Grenoble that will do them, but I've also asked on a couple of local FB pages if anyone knows of a shop less than two hours away!! :lol:

I do have to go to Grenoble in June, so it's not the end of the world to combine that rdv with going to the one there, but with a bit of luck I can find a place in the valley :D :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:10 am THIs reminds me I need to get mine redone next time I'm at a bike show
If I'd known I might have a bike for the summer, I would have looked for a stand at the Lyon show - there must have been one there! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I've had a couple different sets of the DIY jobbies now and I really rate them. Just be sure to not push them too far in your ear when making them !
Horse

Post by Horse »

Whether DIY or professional, key point is to keep as still as possible while making the mould.

Anything that moves your jaw will change the shape of your ear canal. And poor fit = noise.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:12 pm Whether DIY or professional, key point is to keep as still as possible while making the mould.

Anything that moves your jaw will change the shape of your ear canal. And poor fit = noise.
Indeed - I had to close my eyes when having the originals fitted cos my mates were trying to make me laugh!! LOL
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:13 pm I had to close my eyes when having the originals fitted cos my mates were trying to make me laugh!! LOL
Hope this link works:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/WKUZAFPnPNDPnwxh/
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sadly no!

A friend has just recommended the Loop Earplugs -

https://www.loopearplugs.com/products/e ... country=FR

But I can't see that they would work better than moulded (might be worth a try for a bit as they'll be cheaper!)

Horse

Post by Horse »

No worries. It was a set of clips from every night of a theatre production. View from offstage in one wing across to the other, as an actor did his damndest to make the actor on-stage corpse.

Anyway, earplugs.

My earxperience is that foam and custom moulded ear plugs sound different :) but both do the job.

The price of custom plugs covers a lot of reusable foam jobbies. Just keep them clean (and clean fingers), and know how to insert them correctly.

Less concern over loosing one, too!