Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: Inflation

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 pm Are camels more or less delicious than horses? That probably comes into a survival equation.
Never tried camel, I have eaten horse.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Conjures up quite a few possibilities. I'd like to see camels doing dressage.

I think they'd be OK flat racing but the jumps at the Grand National might be a big ask, however it's a National Hunt race, presumably because it's a bit like fox hunting without the fox...so I propose fox hunting is allowed - as long as the participants ride camels. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:21 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:15 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:05 pm

OTOH which would win the Grand National?
How many camels have tried ? They may be awesome at it.
They might. Your chance to win the Grand National? I will even put 50p E/W on you, if you do win it will be at about 1000 to 1.
You missed off like 000,000,000
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:08 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:21 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:15 pm

How many camels have tried ? They may be awesome at it.
They might. Your chance to win the Grand National? I will even put 50p E/W on you, if you do win it will be at about 1000 to 1.
You missed off like 000,000,000
Bookies never, ever, give you honest odds.if
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:02 pm Conjures up quite a few possibilities. I'd like to see camels doing dressage.

I think they'd be OK flat racing but the jumps at the Grand National might be a big ask, however it's a National Hunt race, presumably because it's a bit like fox hunting without the fox...so I propose fox hunting is allowed - as long as the participants ride camels. :thumbup:
I can see several MFHs having apoplexy over that. :)
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 pm Are camels more or less delicious than horses? That probably comes into a survival equation.

If you're going to be concerned about deliciousness I don't think your survival is very important to you.

Food is fuel. Delicious food, horrible food . . . . . . . fuel.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:42 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:02 pm Conjures up quite a few possibilities. I'd like to see camels doing dressage.

I can see several MFHs having apoplexy over that. :)
Wait until they hear that the foxhounds will be replaced by wombat packs and the camel riders must wear Tweedledum and Tweedledee costumes.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 pm

If you're going to be concerned about deliciousness I don't think your survival is very important to you.

Tigers are endangered...but there are too many cows in the world! :D

Best way to survive as an animal innit? Be delicious to modern humans.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Aparently the Dodo was tasty and nutritious . . .
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:52 pm
Yambo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Tigers are endangered...but there are too many cows in the world! :D

Best way to survive as an animal innit? Be delicious to modern humans.

Best way to survive as a species. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
irie

Post by irie »

I'm a long time Nationwide customer and 5.5% over 18 months does not tempt me to put my money there. Get far better returns in a sensible spread of investment funds. But depends on your assessment of risk vs returns of course.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:38 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 pm
irie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm
That is exactly what the overwhelming majority of economic commentators are publicly saying. 😀
That would be ideal for me. At least for the next 18 months or so.

Ideally house prices will not start to rise for a similar amount of time. That may be too much to hope for
"Ideally house prices will not start to rise" for "at least for the next 18 months or so"? :think:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mor ... boost.html
House prices rose in May, says Nationwide as wage growth and falling inflation provide buyer boost

UK house prices rose 0.4% month on month in May, factoring in seasonal effects

Year-on-year house prices are up 1.3%, according to Nationwide

General election unlikely to impact house prices, says building society
One swallow does not a summer make, of course.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:05 am I checked and my investment pots over the last 18 months have delivered a net of between 4.5% - 5.5%.

All the while that money has been at risk and it’s been up and down.
That’s looking back, so of course it’s solid information.
So in the current economic climate I’ll take 5.5% absolutely guaranteed with zero risk because I don’t see the investment markets improving dramatically or becoming less risky in the next 18 months.
That’s looking ahead. Whether your forecast turns out right or wrong is down to factors that (I think) make it no better than random chance.

You’re not “wrong” to go a bit conservative and safe, but will you feel sad if equities go up while your money is banked?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

As ever, 'it all depends' dunnit? If you have a nice, solid financial base - company and state pension or a safe wedge cranking out 5.5% you can play risk tunes with the rest. If it was just about returns you'd probably slap it all in Vodaphone at 72p (after using up all your tax free allowances) and bask in the 10.59% dividend yield. (Then feel a bit sick when the shares dropped to 60p again).

As said earlier it depends where you are in life/career etc as to what your risk/return approach is going to be. If you get 5.5% and it's safe, and you're happy with that, why worry what might have been if equities return more? Like share trading, if you make some money and sell before the price stops rising - hey! you've made a profit. :thumbup: No point risking it to try and squeeze a few more pence out and being glum if you didn't. Same with cutting your losses - take the loss, move on and be happy it wasn't bigger rather than hanging on and hoping.

I don't mind playing around with money I can manage without but I wouldn't play financial roulette with my main pension. 5.5% guaranteed, very low risk? That'd do nicely right now.
Voltaire