Suzuki en 125

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Gregor

Suzuki en 125

Post by Gregor »

My youngest has bought this as a project from a workmate who had it for some father/son bonding exercise that didn’t happen. Sat outside for years and it shows.

He needs a distraction after splitting up with his girlfriend. There’s a box of parts, some new so we’ll see if it can be dragged back to life :thumbup:

I quite like those cast wheels

Definitely needs fork seals, just hope those stanchions aren’t too far gone!

Apparently that chain was brand new and done zero miles :mrgreen:

Skub

Re: Suzuki en 125

Post by Skub »

Those little things can take neglect,though cosmetics suffer. I bet it's running in no time.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

After cranking over the bike for ages yesterday in an attempt to get it running, I thought I’d check to see if the plug was wet, it was and discovered the plug wasn’t screwed fully in :oops: Flattened the duff 10:yr old battery in our Yaris in the process.

It did almost fire up, try it again today with a fully charged battery.

New batt ordered for the Yaris which I’d been putting off for the past year.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Potter wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:58 am I'd be tempted to jet-wash it, stick it in an MOT, see what it fails on, fix just that and then run it into the ground.

It's never going to amount to much so I'd be wary of spending a lot to really smarten it up, unless you have a particular reason to.
Definitely won’t be throwing much money at it, just something to keep my lad occupied after a rather nasty break up, he wants to do his cbt and learn a bit about spannering on something basic and cheap.He may lose interest, who knows but it’s kept him occupied and focused the last couple of days.

So far only fork and dust seals planned if it fires up later. Wire brush the rusty bits then kurust and hammerite.
Most things he’ll need I’ve got kicking about, fuel line, cable making kit, bulbs etc.

Wheels are starting to look ok after 5 mins cleanig with the bum wipes.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Connected up a fully charged car battery and it fired up straight away even without the airbox fitted :thumbup: .
All the electrics work
Exhaust is blowing around the hanger so we’ll have to find a suitable end can, tiny chain now soaking in a bucket of diesel.

Surprisingly we haven't found a seized fastener……yet.

Have to pause things now, got work for the next two days.

Next we’ll change the oil cos it smells a bit petroly, refit the airbox, intake rubber and fashion a clutch cable if that’s a success fork seals will be ordered.

A good weekends therapy for both of us :obscene-drinkingcheers:
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

I know you're after doing it cheap, but eBay says a whole replica exhaust only costs £55.
At that money it's not worth trying to salvage the front part of the system and put something universal on the end.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

A_morti wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:17 pm I know you're after doing it cheap, but eBay says a whole replica exhaust only costs £55.
At that money it's not worth trying to salvage the front part of the system and put something universal on the end.
Wemoto got it covered

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Changed the oil today and it looked normal. Initially I removed the silver bolt by mistake which looks like its home to a pressure relief valve, actual drain bolt is the larger one behind in the pic.

Treated some of the rusty scabby areas with kurust which has made a world of difference.

The rubber boot that should connect the airbox to the carb is too small carb side. It looks like the mikuni carb is either larger than stock or the connecting boot is a crap pattern part.The bike also came with a 39mm pod filter which is also too small for the carb which measures 45mm !

New front sprocket needed :P

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Stick the inlet manifold in a bowl of boiling water for a minute, then try to make it fit.

I suspect that larger chromed nut you mistook for the sump plug is actually related to the camchain tensioner.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 pm Stick the inlet manifold in a bowl of boiling water for a minute, then try to make it fit.

I suspect that larger chromed nut you mistook for the sump plug is actually related to the camchain tensioner.
Bypass valve I meant to say.

Nah camchain is on the left that nut is in the centre. I tried warming up and lubing but it just won’t go on and there’s loads of room in the gap so it’s not the normal bastard tight fit.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

The silver nut holds the neutral cam stopper.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Well that little fuck up will teach me to RTFM.
I’d put the neutral stopper back in arse about face.

But done me a favour because I can now drain the oil, rectify it and clean the oil pan strainer above the sump drain which I wasn’t aware of.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

This is the little fella

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Strainer doing its job

Slightly concerned about this metal fragment but looks like it comes from the casing around the strainer by the left screw.

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

This thread made me remember working on bikes with my Dad, got a bit emosh.

I hope your lad is still getting stuck in.
non quod, sed quomodo
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Yes still keen, he’s tackling parts on his days off.

I’m trying to resist too much tinkering when he’s not around.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

What's the plan for carb / inlet / filter?
Have you been able to identify which one of the carb and inlet manifold are not original, or whether the manifold has just gone brittle?
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

A_morti wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:13 pm What's the plan for carb / inlet / filter?
Have you been able to identify which one of the carb and inlet manifold are not original, or whether the manifold has just gone brittle?
This for now….

and not yet…Bodge a clutch cable up, fuel it up and run it round the garden thru the gears and if it’s a go-er the carbs coming off to investigate what’s what and ask the PO what he knows.I wish carb manufacturers would put the model no somewhere, can’t see any markings other than Mikuni.

There’s a new pattern carb in the box o bits which I haven’t got round to looking at yet along with a carb to cylinder head rubber.

The airbox is original I’m certain, airbox to carb boot looks new and pattern rather than Suzuki.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Some goodies have arrived.

Gregor

Post by Gregor »

After a carb clean and a lot of warming up of the connecting boot we got it fitted in place and had it running reasonably well.Which revealed the blanking plate below the exhaust wasn’t and was blowing hot exhaust at the live cable for the starter motor and was what had caused the clutch cable that ran alongside to melt and seize !

One homemade plate sorted that issue, PO must have removed the ais gubbins and just refitted that plate with the hole in the first pic :roll: