An Enduro Weekend in the Sun?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Re: An Enduro Weekend in the Sun?

Post by Yorick »

lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:09 am Not going to lie, it's a very tough climb for me.

The road climb up from the PB side to Femes is bad enough, steep enough that it's miserable on road bike gearing (unless you've got a big cassette or are a whippet) but the off road one from there up to that peak is grim even on MTB gearing. I prefer to go up the route from the roundabout at Yaiza/Uga up the back of the hill - although it's "nice" to be protected from the wind for most of the climb it's also brutally hot.
Cycles are now banned on the road from PB to Femes. They were riding in groups and holding up all the traffic.
lostboy

Re: An Enduro Weekend in the Sun?

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am
lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:09 am Not going to lie, it's a very tough climb for me.

The road climb up from the PB side to Femes is bad enough, steep enough that it's miserable on road bike gearing (unless you've got a big cassette or are a whippet) but the off road one from there up to that peak is grim even on MTB gearing. I prefer to go up the route from the roundabout at Yaiza/Uga up the back of the hill - although it's "nice" to be protected from the wind for most of the climb it's also brutally hot.
Cycles are now banned on the road from PB to Femes. They were riding in groups and holding up all the traffic.
Wow, that must be recent as it was still ok last year. I tend to go up over the hill from Las Brenas and then just do the last section from the roundabout up to the village square. I can't say I'm surprised though, it was always "the" challenge in the South of the Island (some much better climbs up north) and, as you say, as a result you got some proper twats trying it with no consideration for other road users. As you're on the drop side of the road as you climb I've always been very careful to give respect to the cars - it's only going to take one to be an arsehole and you've got a rocky slide down a LONG way.