In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 pm Some of the banks used to have a policy that you had to take a holiday spanning a month end and the like to try and limit long term fraud.
I have to take 10 consecutive days holidays in one calendar year, in order to rumble any sophisticated embezzlement I might be up to.
Do you also have to make yourself deliberately unpopular so you can't have any co conspirators who could cover you? :hmmm:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 pm Some of the banks used to have a policy that you had to take a holiday spanning a month end and the like to try and limit long term fraud.
I have to take 10 consecutive days holidays in one calendar year, in order to rumble any sophisticated embezzlement I might be up to.
Do you also have to make yourself deliberately unpopular so you can't have any co conspirators who could cover you? :hmmm:
It is a total nonsense. I can only assume the financial crash of 2008 was caused by somebody sneaking in a cheeky one week getaway and nobody picking it up.

Oddly, my blessed employer has dropped the requirement for most employees, bar those involved in, and I quote, 'business transactions'.

Yeah....I've asked for clarification as I think that covers almost everybody. :eh:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 pm I can only assume the financial crash of 2008 was caused by somebody sneaking in a cheeky one week getaway and nobody picking it up.
It was caused by people on work trips finding hotels that give hand written receipts.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Lutin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm We all know that Liz Truss is an idiot, but seriously? Liz Truss: The world was safer under Trump
She's got a point. The world WAS a safer place when Trump was president. Maybe having a dementia sufferer as president isn't such a good idea.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 pm
Lutin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm We all know that Liz Truss is an idiot, but seriously? Liz Truss: The world was safer under Trump
She's got a point. The world WAS a safer place when Trump was president. Maybe having a dementia sufferer as president isn't such a good idea.
I seem to recall something raging on in his final year. I can't quite put a finger on it, but loads of people died all over the globe.
irie

Post by irie »

Bwana wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:32 am
Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 pm
I seem to recall something raging on in his final year. I can't quite put a finger on it, but loads of people died all over the globe.
Did Trump do that? Blimey, that's a conspiracy theory par excellence. Kudos! ;)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Smoking ban - thoughts?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-68825322

So, we'll live in a country that will sell cigarettes to a 25 year old, but not a 24 year old, in a few years time... I'm not a smoker, never have been, and can't stand people smoking around me, but at the same time, respect an adult's right to choose. What's next? Alcohol? Fast food?

Troubling.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm A case of 'I may not agree with what you say, I defend to the death the right of a mayor to spoil your party....'

National Conservatism Conference: Police told to shut down right-wing Brussels event

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68826577

Although stopping Nige from yapping on is probably not a bad thing.
It seems the Belgian High Court disagrees with you. Stopping people talking is actually a bad thing. Who knew?

"The right-wing National Conservatism Conference will be free to meet today for its second day of programming without further interference from the police, the Belgium high court has ruled..."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/ri ... r-BB1lLkfb
Last edited by Saga Lout on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm A case of 'I may not agree with what you say, I defend to the death the right of a mayor to spoil your party....'

National Conservatism Conference: Police told to shut down right-wing Brussels event

It seems the Belgian High Court disagrees with you. Stopping people talking is actually a bad thing. Who knew?

The right-wing National Conservatism Conference will be free to meet today for its second day of programming without further interference from the police, the Belgium high court has ruled...
An rare outbreak of common sense. :thumbup:

This bit made me laugh: Mr Kir said some of the attendees of Tuesday’s conference held anti-gay and anti-abortion views.

Best he don't go to any church, synagogue, mosque or any other religious gathering. He'll be shutting those down next.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 am

The right-wing National Conservatism Conference will be free to meet today for its second day of programming without further interference from the police, the Belgium high court has ruled...
An rare outbreak of common sense. :thumbup:

This bit made me laugh: Mr Kir said some of the attendees of Tuesday’s conference held anti-gay and anti-abortion views.

Best he don't go to any church, synagogue, mosque or any other religious gathering. He'll be shutting those down next.
From the BBC link:

Mr Farage said "thank god for Brexit". :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 am Smoking ban - thoughts?

So, we'll live in a country that will sell cigarettes to a 25 year old, but not a 24 year old, in a few years time... I'm not a smoker, never have been, and can't stand people smoking around me, but at the same time, respect an adult's right to choose. What's next? Alcohol? Fast food?

Troubling.
I've given up smoking! (Almost a year now) A few years ago I would have been proper cross about this proposed ban - and everyone would of said "of course you are, you're a smoker".

But actually, no, I'm still proper cross about it. Smoke if you want, kill yourself if it pleases you, but be fully aware of the consequences.

They reckon c17% of the UK adult population smokes? That must be massively down from what it was 50 years ago and that's down to education. I know very few of the younger generation (my kids are in their 20s) who smoke. (They don't really even drink that much FFS). Maybe that last 17% is tricky to pick away at?

Not a fan of banning.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Troubling.
Really, really badly thought through and whiffs of headline grabbing rather than production of any form of workable law. Good news for the smugglers etc. I note though, it's the 'Tobacco and Vapes' bill so maybe the tobacco bit is a distraction?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

No need for smuggling. In decades to come 50 year-olds will simply ask 60 year-olds entering the corner shop to buy them 20 Lamberts, like the yoots do today.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Troubling.
Nanny government trying to bend me over backwards and take it dry afuckingain.

The smoking thing I was kind of behind them, although did start to question my opinion when NZ repealed the same age walking law, on the face of it there may be more to it than meets the eye.

But lumping vapes in with the smoking bill they can jog right on :angry-cussingblack:

Want to ban disposables? fine go for it they make no sense
Want to make it harder for the kiddies to vape? Why it's already illegal to sell to under 18's, just enforce the laws we already have you spineless simpering idiots.
Want to restrict flavours because they're attractive to the kiddies? Again sod right off and see above, and most folk who do vape (those adult types) use fruit / sweet flavours as they're enjoyable, so stop trying to steal out fun you cunts :angry-cussingblack: :angry-argument:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am This bit made me laugh: Mr Kir said some of the attendees of Tuesday’s conference held anti-gay and anti-abortion views.

Not a bad idea. Most wars seem to be fueled by religion.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am This bit made me laugh: Mr Kir said some of the attendees of Tuesday’s conference held anti-gay and anti-abortion views.

But if we didn't have religion to fight about we'd fight about something else.
Milk in first or last
Which end of the boiled egg to crack
Petrol, diseasel or electric
Your skin is darker than mine
Your skin is lighter than mine
etc.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm

But if we didn't have religion to fight about we'd fight about something else.
Milk in first or last
Which end of the boiled egg to crack
Petrol, diseasel or electric
Your skin is darker than mine
Your skin is lighter than mine
etc.
All true, but religion adds a new dimension. My God says I'm right/killing you is ok/God says this land is ours.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm Most wars seem to be fueled by religion.

I don't agree. Most wars are over territory or land. The two world wars of the last century were not religious wars.

Religion has certainly played a part in the wars of this century so I guess your 'fueled' comment has some merit but the crusades are long gone.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Religion, or extreme politics verging on a religion (eg Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, etc) is a major factor. Land is involved, but eg the Zionists don't just want ANY land, they want their land as promised by Jehova.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!