Stingers used to stop motorbikes

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Lutin

Stingers used to stop motorbikes

Post by Lutin »

I wasn't ever sure whether stinger type devices would ever be used to stop motorcycles. Apparently they have been used by South Wales Police - Swansea: High-speed off-road bikes chased through city
A high-speed police chase involving three off-road bikers moving at dangerous speeds through city streets was captured on body-worn police cameras.

Joshua Miller and Fraser Saunders, both 20, and Keiron Paton, 18, were given prison sentences and driving disqualifications.

South Wales Police brought the chase, in the Mumbles area of Swansea on 27 January 2023, to an end using tyre puncture traps called stingers.
Video doesn't show any further than the deployment of the stingers.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Horse

Re: Stingers used to stop motorbikes

Post by Horse »

Used on one of the obdoc tv programmes.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Good.
If the rider is being sufficiently a dick to warrant a stinger deployed then tough titties if they come off, hell for my money the po po can hang out of their window busting caps in their asses
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yeah, I saw one used on a green Zx6 in Leeds iirc on one of them police interceptor types TV shows a couple of years back
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

As long as they are deployed on slow-ish straight bits of road, the rider shouldn't fall off... bikes go dead straight with a flat front, as I discovered trying to negotiate at the roundabout at the end of a slip road on the FZ... I almost went straight over the island. Tyre flat as a pancake - I'd though the front felt a bit 'dead' half a mile earlier so pulled off to investigate. Nice screw on the centre line of the tread.