Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:01 pm
I'm not knocking you, i'd have been defeated many turns ago, but it seems to be very problematic with you countering all the time?
Not really...genuinely.

Yeaj there's a lot to do and a lot to figure out, but none of this stuff would be unexpected to someone of mm's obvious experience. Aside from the minor size issues - which you'd inevitably get when making 'by eye' - whats gone wrong reqlly?
millemille

Post by millemille »

Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:01 pm
millemille wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:09 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:02 pm Enjoying the thread and admiring your enthusiasm, but it begs the question, is this actually going to work, or be a very expensive paper weight?
Why do you think it's not going to work?

What have I missed?
I'm not knocking you, i'd have been defeated many turns ago, but it seems to be very problematic with you countering all the time? I know these things aren't about the money, but is there a cut off with this? Can you reconcile what its cost you to what you're ending up with?
I'm an engineer, not just by training but by temperament, and I love it. I'm passionate about engineering, even if I won the lottery I'd still be doing some form of engineering. The build is as much enjoyment for me as riding the bike itself when it's done.

I'm not tracking cost or time - I have to do that in my day job and have no desire, or need, to do it on my own time - so it will cost what it will cost and take as long as it takes. So long as there's money in the bank at the end of every month I'm happy.

In terms of problems, nothing has been insurmountable and most of it is going pretty much exactly as I had planned, in terms of method if not timescales, from the outset.

The tank has been the biggest issue and most of that has been caused by people, not the bike. The tank, and the amount of effort that has gone into it, has also changed my thinking about other area's of the bike. If the tank had been simpler and quicker to produce the carbon air box, for example, wouldn't have happened....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Tbf, if you'd asked me how much it will cost to make a tank for a unique frankenbike with no drawings I'd have guessed "at least 10k"...thats based on quite a lot of experience of doing unique or very low volume jobs in this sort of field.

So really, I don't think it's going too badly.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I love the simple fact that you are doing it for the joy of doing it, the end result is important, but the journey is the fun part! Really enjoying this thread!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Just got back from picking up the finished tank protector...

G.P

Post by G.P »

I haven't commented for a while on this but still loving the thread.
I Really admire he approach in terms of cost and time - its the only way you can properly enjoy it IMO.
I'm tracking cost on my Ducati project but only for interest and the ability to answer the inevitable questions - mind you mine is just a simple resto.

Nice tank protector too!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

millemille wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 pm Just got back from picking up the finished tank protector...

Lovely....got a spare one for my Multi ??? :mrgreen:
millemille

Post by millemille »

Final assembly progressing well...

The tank is still in primer but the tank protector, just slid in place, looks awesome...

millemille

Post by millemille »

The standard plastic Multistrada tank has a quoted capacity of 20 litres.

The aluminium tank is about 1.5mm larger in all dimensions as it formed round the original tank and the plastic tank structure is about 10mm thick compared to the 1.5mm of the aluminium. I've removed a fair bit of capacity to get the tank to fit over the rear cylinder head, but added a fair bit because the 1098 air box is not as tall as the original Multistrada one with the snorkel air intake on top so the tank could be made deeper under the filler cap.

Been giving the tank an etch cleaner soak inside to key it for the sealant and washing out the cleaner, in the bath at home natch.

So I thought I'd take the opportunity to measure the capacity of the new tank.

Somewhat surprised to get 32 litres in it.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How many litres leaked out the bottom while you were measuring it? ;)
millemille

Post by millemille »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 pm How many litres leaked out the bottom while you were measuring it? ;)
Well, now you come to mention it.....
millemille

Post by millemille »

Got the front sprocket nut tightened up with the big boy, mains powered, "raddle gun", all of the ugga-dugga's...

...and then the foot peg, case saver, sprocket cover and shift mechanism all bolted on...

I would like to stick a quick shifter on, but not sure it's possible to get one so short?

Got a bit of an issue with the bottom chain run being too close to the exhaust...

...but I'm not too bothered as there's a 42T sprocket on the back. Standard 1098 gearing is 15/39 but I went larger on the back as I don't particularly need the gazillion miles and hour, or more, top speed of the sports bike. I've got a 40T spare so I'll stick that on tomorrow and see if that lifts the chain enough. Otherwise I can go for a 14T on the front and then go even smaller on the back....

Started work on the airbox. Crank case breather hose spigot bonded in place...

..and throttle bodies positioned on underside of airbox and then mounting holes spotted and drilled...

...and then inlet trumpets secured in place...

.. it's a tight fit...

.. the inlet hole is marked and chain drilled...

...and filed to shaped...

..et voila!

millemille

Post by millemille »

After several people on fb recommended one, I have bought a Healtech "Quickshifter Easy". A nifty little bit of kit, for the 1098 you replace the shift lever pinch bolt - the one that clamps the shift lever onto the selector shaft - with a longer on and the sensor is clamped around that bolt.

millemille

Post by millemille »

Chain clearance is sorted, without the need to change sprockets. Span the rear hub eccentric through 180 degrees and added a link to the chain.

Throttle bodies and trumpets are in the airbox...

...but I'm not happy with it. The throttle bodies and trumpets are not sealing perfectly to the air box, inside and out, because the carbon is not perfectly flat and smooth. I think I'll cut some discs of aluminium sheet and trap them between the throttle bodies and trumpets, and these will seal properly, and open up the holes in the bottom of the air box and then bond the aluminium discs to the underside of the airbox.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If you do, make sure you abraded it well otherwise it may not stay stuck for long! The carbon is probably still carrying the residue of the tool release agents which are specifically designed to not stick.

I'd be tempted to stick it with something quite flexible too so it's not prone to cracking. A polyurethane or silicone would work nicely IMO, with the added benefits they seal well and cure at room temp. Polyurethane glass adhesive should be easy to find.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 pm If you do, make sure you abraded it well otherwise it may not stay stuck for long! The carbon is probably still carrying the residue of the tool release agents which are specifically designed to not stick.

I'd be tempted to stick it with something quite flexible too so it's not prone to cracking. A polyurethane or silicone would work nicely IMO, with the added benefits they seal well and cure at room temp. Polyurethane glass adhesive should be easy to find.
I was going to use sikaflex 221....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Sounds about perfect.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

That chain run would make me uncomfortable. Our first reminder that you forgot to tension the chain could be a blowing exhaust !
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Is it also gonna clash when the wheel is on full droop? Looks the bike is on a rear wheel stand so its still got a bit of rebound movement? In reality if it clunked against the exhaust on the extrmees of travel it wouldn't cause immediate disaster. If it was rubbing continuously you'd hear it?

Airbox is inside out I think? Its traditional to have the shiny tool face on the inside and the ropier B Surface on the outside for better flow. I doubt it matters too much here though :D

millemille

Post by millemille »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:51 pm Is it also gonna clash when the wheel is on full droop? Looks the bike is on a rear wheel stand so its still got a bit of rebound movement? In reality if it clunked against the exhaust on the extrmees of travel it wouldn't cause immediate disaster. If it was rubbing continuously you'd hear it?

Airbox is inside out I think? Its traditional to have the shiny tool face on the inside and the ropier B Surface on the outside for better flow. I doubt it matters too much here though :D

The chain run has been sorted, it's now no closer to the exhaust than it was as standard.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other on c/f air boxes, I'll see your photo and raise you a photo of the air box from my ex works (XRO9, ex Frankie Chili) Suzuki SRAD 750 WSB bike....

...and the official Suzuki race kit, ERO, SRAD 750 air box fitted to my bitsa SRAD 750 race bike...

...both with the B-side on the inside.