Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dodgy69

Re: Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

Post by Dodgy69 »

Enjoyed "This Town" on BBC iplayer. Only 6 parts so you won't get bored to death with it. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

G'wad on C4 - excellent, funny, short series - recommended 👍

The Beekeeper - I love cheesy action, but this was truly god-awful. Miss it.

Dune Part Two - it's entirely different, but this series puts me in mind of LotR - far too long spent world-building in between plot points. So a passable plot, good characters, but far too long and boring.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The Gentlemen (series).

Comes highly recommended, apparently. Suffered episode one. Pretty one dimensional because the whole thing is set up like a continuous farce, there's no opportunity to see if there's any other side to any character, particularly if the acting and actors are a bit shit.

Does it get any better?
Should I have just watched the film instead?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:05 am The Gentlemen (series).

Comes highly recommended, apparently. Suffered episode one. Pretty one dimensional because the whole thing is set up like a continuous farce, there's no opportunity to see if there's any other side to any character, particularly if the acting and actors are a bit shit.

Does it get any better?
I've not finished it yet but am enjoying it.

It's like all of Guy Ritchie's stuff really, silly but violent crime farce. Yes, the entire set-up is ridiculous, the characters way over-the-top and entirely unbelievable and one-dimensional, but it's just silly fun.

So no, it doesn't really change after episode 1. And in fact it's weirdly sitcom-like rather than a 'normal' drama series, in that each episode is basically the same and starts and ends at the same point, just with a twist on the same plot each time. Definitely not to be taken too seriously.

The connection to the film is odd in itself as the general premise is exactly the same, and some of the characters are reused with different actors and names. Plus some scenes (from both The Gentlemen and other films of his) are borrowed almost untouched and re-used. So if you've seen one, you've kind of seen the other. Would still recommend though, it's a more traditional structure, and if you liked any of his other films then it's more of the same.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:05 am The Gentlemen (series).

Does it get any better?
Haven’t finished it yet but Episode 3 made me laugh, the part where Jimmy realises he might be overdoing the weed a bit.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:32 pm Enjoyed "This Town" on BBC iplayer. Only 6 parts so you won't get bored to death with it. 👍
Just watched part 2. Pretty good, some good casting/acting/location etc and it keeps you interested. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

The Beekeeper: I love brain-out, suspend-disbelief action films, but really, this was SO, SO bad. I was expecting bad, but entertaining, it wasn't. Don't bother. 👎

Wicked Little Letters: entertaining, sweary, brilliant cast, recommended for when you want something light and funny. 👍
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Didge wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:29 am Coming out on Prime on 11th April. Looking forward to this. :thumbup:

5* review in Today's Grauniad on-line. :thumbup:

Sounds pretty good + anything with Walton Goggins in gets my vote. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Driveway Dolls (fillum, at the flicks). I only went because it was the only VOST fillum in English at our local flicks that night (the real draw was the authentic British chip van - yes as an expat sometimes the draw of proper chips is too great ...).

It's sort of like a modern Thelma and Louise. Ish. Girls roadtrip movie. If the protagonists were lezzers anyway. Quite a lot of comical rugmunching and dildos waved about. Perplexing rather than awful. Acting, cinematography and production were fine but I wouldn't rush to see it again or recommend anyone else do unless this is a genre you're mad about. Has the potential for a cult movie in the spirit of rocky horror maybe.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:48 am Driveway Dolls (fillum, at the flicks). I only went because it was the only VOST fillum in English at our local flicks that night (the real draw was the authentic British chip van - yes as an expat sometimes the draw of proper chips is too great ...).

It's sort of like a modern Thelma and Louise. Ish. Girls roadtrip movie. If the protagonists were lezzers anyway. Quite a lot of comical rugmunching and dildos waved about. Perplexing rather than awful. Acting, cinematography and production were fine but I wouldn't rush to see it again or recommend anyone else do unless this is a genre you're mad about. Has the potential for a cult movie in the spirit of rocky horror maybe.
Never heard of it so I had a google. Looks pretty good tbh and Matt Damon in it for cred?!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Halo, just finished series 1, it's pretty OK

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:53 am Never heard of it so I had a google. Looks pretty good tbh and Matt Damon in it for cred?!
Yeah the director called in a few favours - Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal cameo in it for a few minutes apiece
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:59 am anything with Walton Goggins in gets my vote. :D
I really liked Invincible on Amazon Prime (Goggins voices the chief dude). I'm not normally a comics person but I gave that a try after seeing the reviews and enjoyed it.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sunny wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:25 pm
The Beekeeper: I love brain-out, suspend-disbelief action films, but really, this was SO, SO bad. I was expecting bad, but entertaining, it wasn't. Don't bother. 👎

Wicked Little Letters: entertaining, sweary, brilliant cast, recommended for when you want something light and funny. 👍
Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:19 am
G'wad on C4 - excellent, funny, short series - recommended 👍

The Beekeeper - I love cheesy action, but this was truly god-awful. Miss it.

Dune Part Two - it's entirely different, but this series puts me in mind of LotR - far too long spent world-building in between plot points. So a passable plot, good characters, but far too long and boring.
You must really have hated it.

;)
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

We've been looking for series to watch in bed, we burned our way through Breaking Bad, Downton, Top Boy, Still Game, etc, and we're really struggling to find anything of really decent quality to match that level of entertainment.

We just finished another re-run of Band of Brothers, but we're t the loose end tonight, so we'll have to have a search, we must have flicked through a dozen or so series but end up switching most off within half an hour, there is some proper rubbish about.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:50 am We've been looking for series to watch in bed, we burned our way through Breaking Bad, Downton, Top Boy, Still Game, etc, and we're really struggling to find anything of really decent quality to match that level of entertainment.

We just finished another re-run of Band of Brothers, but we're t the loose end tonight, so we'll have to have a search, we must have flicked through a dozen or so series but end up switching most off within half an hour, there is some proper rubbish about.
Masters of the Air? (on Apple TV)

We just finished it - IIRC it's made by the same crew as Band of Brothers, but is a bit "thinner". Pretty well made though.
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:50 am We've been looking for series to watch in bed, we burned our way through Breaking Bad, Downton, Top Boy, Still Game, etc, and we're really struggling to find anything of really decent quality to match that level of entertainment.

Have you seen Coma the ch5 series? Very good...

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Channel 5 drama?

You're dead to me.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:07 pm Channel 5 drama?

You're dead to me.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Love-Hate - bit like Top Boy but set in Dublin back in the good old days..... :thumbup: