GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Supermofo »

Found what looks like a good OE end can for £30 delivered. Hopefully as good as it looks as only want the end cap
Skub

Post by Skub »

Some of the mad classic boys have bought a complete bike just to get one single part they need for a restoration. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:02 pm Some of the mad classic boys have bought a complete bike just to get one single part they need for a restoration. :lol:
I threw out a z750 and Firestorm exhausts cos they were so cheap online it wasn't worth selling.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Picked up the peg this morning on the way to Bath for the night. Expected it to be a reasonable sized place but it's huge, selling almost all the manufacturers, cafe, kit shop etc. Nice shop. Didn't stay for long though as family were waiting in the car.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Replaced the peg this morning which was fairly straightforward, although cut my finger in the first 30 secs as usual :roll:

Given everything looked alright but I'd not tested it I thought I'd nip round the block. Which turned into a nice 85 mile loop :obscene-drinkingcheers: And I managed not to drop the poor thing this time!

The exhaust should turn up next week so will swap the end caps over and job, jobbed. Just need to find a seat now.

Skub

Post by Skub »

Vampire bike!
Walt Whitman
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Have you got a pillion seat bag. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 pm Have you got a pillion seat bag. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's my gloves, I was gonna take the top box off but I threw some duck tape and cable ties in just in case!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

New exhaust has arrived, few small little marks on the end cap but a lot better than mine currently. Think I'm just gonna swap over the end cap rather than the whole exhaust. Not bad for £31 delivered.

Current end cap

I have been looking at Leo Vince end cans though :lol:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Just ordered an oil filter and a bunch of crush washers to cover me for the next few years from Wemoto. Went for one of the RC 'race' Hiflo filters with the nut on the end to make it more easily off and onable. Gave my lock wire to Tricky when I sold him the R6 so not sure I'll bother lockwiring it. Will pick up some oil from SBS as looks to be cheaper. Was going to just use Silkolene Comp 4 as that's what the Suzuki shop used but looks like fully synth stuff is not much more or actually the same price for Castrol racing. Worth the fully? I figure there probably isn't much in it seeing as I'm doing 3k mile oil changes max.

Plan is to get an oil and filter done in the next couple of weeks as that'll be 12 months since the last service. Still not going to bother with plugs yet as still just under 6k miles total. Then the bike should be nice and fresh for the Cornwall trip in less than a month now.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:28 pm Just ordered an oil filter and a bunch of crush washers to cover me for the next few years from Wemoto. Went for one of the RC 'race' Hiflo filters with the nut on the end to make it more easily off and onable. Gave my lock wire to Tricky when I sold him the R6 so not sure I'll bother lockwiring it. Will pick up some oil from SBS as looks to be cheaper. Was going to just use Silkolene Comp 4 as that's what the Suzuki shop used but looks like fully synth stuff is not much more or actually the same price for Castrol racing. Worth the fully? I figure there probably isn't much in it seeing as I'm doing 3k mile oil changes max.

Plan is to get an oil and filter done in the next couple of weeks as that'll be 12 months since the last service. Still not going to bother with plugs yet as still just under 6k miles total. Then the bike should be nice and fresh for the Cornwall trip in less than a month now.
I've over 20k on the Zed's plugs and they still work just fine for me. :D
Walt Whitman
mboy

Post by mboy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:27 pm In the meantime will hunt for an OE seat.
Sorry only just seen this.

I have a spare I bought to get modded, but haven't got round to it yet. Doubt I will now...
mboy

Post by mboy »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:41 pm I have been looking at Leo Vince end cans though :lol:
I've got an Arrow and a Remus I bought, but haven't got round to using either. Both 2nd hand but VGC...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:33 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:27 pm In the meantime will hunt for an OE seat.
Sorry only just seen this.

I have a spare I bought to get modded, but haven't got round to it yet. Doubt I will now...
Might well take you up on that if it's surplus? Is it in good condition? I've seen a few on ebay but either the foam is black with dirt or cover is shite. I'm potentially thinking of getting a spare so I can send mine to be repaired and moded for more comfort then keep an OE.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mboy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:34 pm
Supermofo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:41 pm I have been looking at Leo Vince end cans though :lol:
I've got an Arrow and a Remus I bought, but haven't got round to using either. Both 2nd hand but VGC...
Think I'm gonna stick with the OE for the moment
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Weather is supposed to be dry tomorrow, finally, I've had all week off and the only dry day (Wednesday) I took the kids out. So tomorrow is a me day. Think I'm gonna head to Manningtree for a coffee as that's a nice decent length route
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What time will you be there, if the weather is okay I'll see you there.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:16 pm What time will you be there, if the weather is okay I'll see you there.
I'm aiming to leave here about 8 I reckon and going the way I am I'd hope to be there around 10. Drop me a message if you think you'll make it and I'll keep you posted on eta. Gonna go via Heybridge and round the bottom of Colchester. Way back I'll head to Hadleigh and Sudbury
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

What a difference a week makes. Last week I felt great and headed out with a smile on my face and totally relaxed. Ride just flowed, like butter it was so smooth. The bike felt incredible.

Today I just felt, dunno, flustered type feeling. The sun was conspicuous in it's absence and it was very windy. Nearly didn't go. Anyway off I headed and first few corners just weren't happening, like the tyres were under pressure (they arent) and not flowing at all. Oh well. Then my right mirror went floppy :lol: Couldn't be arsed to stop so tightened it best I could with a very wonky view behind. I stopped for fuel and nearly turned about. The bike felt pants but I knew it was me, too stiff, not flowing at all.

Bollocks to that, have a word. So pressed on, forgot about speed and just enjoyed being out and about. The wind was pretty bad and I had to knock the speed off as it felt like the front was tucking in places cos of the gusts and open spaces/gaps in cover had the bike all over the shop. Rode to the tea van in Manningtree and had a brew looking out over the river, the tea van's flags were almost rigid with the wind!

By now it was all good and I felt more normal just couldn't press on cos of the weather but I'd relaxed and the bike felt good again. Glad I put my textile on, with lining, a base layer and a t-shirt in bloody June!!! And I still wasn't hot.

Rode back via Sudbury, Hedingham, Finchingfield (complete with a set of Morris dancers!) and back to home. 140 miles all in and enjoyed it, glad I went. Arse was feeling it for the last 30 mins but I only had the one stop, shoulda stopped at least once more.

Looking to do an oil and filter change this week and finally fit the rad guard as will wash the bike after the service. Need to think about planning a route for the second 2 days of my Cornwall trip. Day 1 my brother is leading so don't need to think about that as he's saved a route, Day 2 his mate is leading and likewise has a route. I have a rough idea for day 3/4 but will map something out so it's all good stuff.

Tyres are still bearing up. Realised I set a trip when I fitted them, on 3800 miles now. Fair amount of tread left with a little squaring but not too bad. Reckon there's at least 1000 left in them if not more.

Other than that the bikes all good :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It's still really windy here, I headed out but wasn't feeling it at all so I went home.