CBR caliper clean and ride report

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Nobby

Re: CBR caliper clean and ride report

Post by Nobby »

Copperslip. Best thing ever. I used a mates spray can a while back and thought it was shite. The tube stuff is in the Toolbox for the Circuit and a tin on the shelf in the Garage. Bought a new tin last year and that will more than likely see me out.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Done the same on my 98 CBR very recently. I use silicone grease on the pins though, cause it stays in place really fecking well compared to copper.

Any idea on the details of the suspension yours has? Mine is totally stock (25 year old) Honda at the mo and I'd like to freshen it up.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Think I'll probably take it to MC Technics and say "fit some bits" :D

I've only done about 500 miles on it so far, but I like it a lot. It's classic Honda, which is either very bad or very good depending on how you feel about their "bikes that just work" mantra.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Harry wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:54 am It's genuinely good at being almost all things to everyone, but I really struggle to get excited about it.
It's one of the best trackbikes per £ spent that I've ever had, probably the best, it's a great road bike, it needs little maintenance, it's cheap to own, etc.

I should be raving about it, but I'm a bit meh, lol.
A bit like companies that are recognised for great customer service- they get that from sorting problems, not from having no problems.

Be meh about it, and keep something else enjoy when it works and to mumble about when it doesn't.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm happy with the CBR cause I also have a classic Triumph, which is exactly the opposite end of the scale.

The Bonneville could hardly be more charismatic, the only thing that exceeds the grin on the faces of the people whose heads turn when you ride past is the one inside your helmet :D Jesus it's a hassle though!

The CBR is the polar opposite, in a good way.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I have to say I always strip the calipers completely, it doesn't take massively more time but makes a big difference over not doing it. And you also get to eyeball the seals natch'.

As for shocks, 3 or 4 years ago I bought a YSS monoshock. Seem solid enough, fairly priced. Can't go wrong really.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

My cheap as chips Fire Blade starts up without a grumble after sitting for 4 weeks in a garage.
It's far faster than i want to take it and handles really reassuringly.
Spark plugs are next to do then that's it (I've been meaning to do them for nearly a year)
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:17 am Think I'll probably take it to MC Technics and say "fit some bits" :D

I've only done about 500 miles on it so far, but I like it a lot. It's classic Honda, which is either very bad or very good depending on how you feel about their "bikes that just work" mantra.
Can't recommend MCT highly enough. Darren has sorted my suspension my 1150GS a couple of times (first time was box fresh Nitron shocks set up for me, second time was refurbing/rebuilding those shocks to suit my change in riding (more pillion time)) and did the same on my MT-09 (Nitron again). I also think his customer service is excellent, he prefers phone over email and always makes time to talk through what you're buying without over-selling you into an Ohlins.

No idea what his lead in times are like just now but back in June he was telling me he was booked out until late September if I wanted to leave my bike with him to remove fork and shock, otherwise it was a two week turn around if I posted my bits to him.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Nice write up

I use scotchbrite to polish the pad retaining pins then a smear of copperslip, including the threads on the pins and the grubscrews. You probably don't need to worry about this in Dubai but for those of us that ride somewhere that has rainfall...

Pump the pistons out a bit before cleaning them, makes it easier to get at the dirty bits. I have a piston removal tool which is good for turning the piston rather than removing it so you can get at all the dirt

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

It’s some years back but I recall the calipers were stripped and rebuilt. The forks have emulators and springs, 9.5 springs as I recall. The rear shock was sent to maxton and rebuilt and sprung for my weight of 14st 👍 It was a very nice riding and handling bike tbh as it should be with proper quality suspension
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Did Maxton just rebuild the OEM one, or is it a Maxton shock?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:07 pm Did Maxton just rebuild the OEM one, or is it a Maxton shock?
It’s a proper maxton shock, Steve Jordan did the forks though.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've been looking at Steve Jordan's site today...I was looking into MCT too, but they're stacked out.

Steve is the guy from VD who was/is into Nissan Skylines? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Steve and Sarah Jordan were on VD and TRC and very good people 👍
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah ISTR meeting em at Box Hill and on the Ace Cafe Toy Run a few times. I will give em a bell.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Makes total sense to me.

The wheels are the bit that actually touch the road and do everything, so the suspension is gonna have a HUGE impact on the way the bike rides!

A 90s bike might not have the huge chunky frame and drainpipe sized forks of a modern bike, but really....who's good enough to notice? Ifs not like the CBR has a single tube cradle frame.