In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: In todays news...

Post by Cousin Jack »

Give us the tools and we will do the job. Give us all admin rights and this conversation will vapourize.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:12 pm Give us the tools and we will do the job. Give us all admin rights and this conversation will vapourize.
Or maybe the perpetual arguers use their brains
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:12 pm Give us the tools and we will do the job. Give us all admin rights and this conversation will vapourize.
You're being silly now, that's not how things work as we all know. Certain members give up their time to do it, including me. But what I'm not going to do is run around sweeping the floor and picking up clothes, really you're all adults and should know better
This weekend I'm knee deep in mud trying to get my lad racing and cleaning up posts isn't on my agenda

You could argue I could have cleaned up quicker than writing this, which is probably true, but I was kinda making a point.

I leave the current affairs section alone mostly, but sometimes I just need to make a little point.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:21 am
You're being silly now, that's not how things work as we all know. Certain members give up their time to do it, including me. But what I'm not going to do is run around sweeping the floor and picking up clothes, really you're all adults and should know better
This weekend I'm knee deep in mud trying to get my lad racing and cleaning up posts isn't on my agenda

You could argue I could have cleaned up quicker than writing this, which is probably true, but I was kinda making a point.

I leave the current affairs section alone mostly, but sometimes I just need to make a little point.
It wasn't a criticism of you, or the other admins. I was trying to get the point across to the antagonists that the rest of us are getting bored of this, and if we (or at least I) had admin rights both would be in the naughty corner.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

As far as I can see a post was made about something in the news that would probably have been better placed in an existing thread. I was going to move it but didn't.

If bans were implemented because some people are bored with topics/what other people have to say this place would be rather quiet + some might want to think about turning the Internet off. :lol:

*shrug*
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:36 am As far as I can see a post was made about something in the news that would probably have been better placed in an existing thread. I was going to move it but didn't.

If bans were implemented because some people are bored with topics/what other people have to say this place would be rather quiet + some might want to think about turning the Internet off. :lol:

*shrug*
I fired a short post into a Todays News thread about an item that I saw in my news that day. Specifically about the number of aid workers who have been killed in Gaza during the last six months versus the amount killed in other conflicts over the last 30 years.
To my eyes it fitted with the thread title, didn't seem like rocket science to me.

I'm actually surprised that its being seen as an issue and respectfully suggest that says more about the people who are wanting it kept a bit quieter than it does about me.

I get that this is a motorcycle forum but this is a news thread, not a specifically motorcycle related news thread.
Seemed like news to me, I put it into a news thread.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:36 am As far as I can see a post was made about something in the news that would probably have been better placed in an existing thread. I was going to move it but didn't.

*shrug*
What you've actually got here is just a few people that constantly post propaganda, mostly blindly, without understanding it, videos, cut & paste,or just simply posting very poorly informed opinions, etc. The Gaza thread is a car crash of ignorance, genuinely appalling to read some of it.
The moderation is sympathetic to this left wing bias so it gets allowed.

I've stopped posting in this section* so now I'm not really that bothered, but if you stopped it and made people stick to the threads about that very subject, like Weeksy actually suggested...
weeksy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:48 pm Don't we have an ongoing thread for this?
...then you'd be doing him a favour and leaving at least some threads free of the blind propaganda and people that still want to discuss the daily news can keep away from it. Because in this instance all you're doing is letting them infect every thread with it.

I don't use this section now, I wondered if I was part of the problem, it's been suggested that I was, so I haven't posted in this section in months to see, and it's still the same, it's a morbid magic roundabout.

*You are obviously entirely free to completely ignore this feedback, this section isn't for me anymore, I'm only posting now out of a genuine wish to not see the forum slow down to a death stop because of this stuff.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

What a lovely story.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This thread is basically just to chat about interesting news stories and current affairs.

Ongoing issues should have their own thread so folk can fight to the death.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Yorick wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:34 pm This thread is basically just to chat about interesting news stories and current affairs
Is it? I've just looked on the first post of the thread and also the thread title and couldn't see the rules you've mentioned.
It said news, I posted news. Wih actual facts and evrifin.
What part of that offends you? The needless deaths of aid workers just doing their best to save lives? Got to admit that I find that quite offensive also so maybe we're on the same page afterall.
I'm gad we talked.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

demographic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:46 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:34 pm This thread is basically just to chat about interesting news stories and current affairs
Is it? I've just looked on the first post of the thread and also the thread title and couldn't see the rules you've mentioned.
What part of that offends you? The needless deaths of aid workers just doing their best to save lives? Got to admit that I find that quite offensive also so maybe we're on the same page afterall.
I'm gad we talked.
There's a thread dedicated to the war. So why not discuss it there?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:06 pm
It had collapsed into a small group of people who are all as poorly informed as each other and fumbling around in the dark.
Some appear desperate for attention and realise that they won't get it until they infect another thread with provocative politics to get a reaction.

If properly moderated they will be kept in the right place for that topic and prevented from dragging it across and ruining other threads.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Summat's up in UK :obscene-birdiedoublered:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cld404v6lkeo
:D
Screenshot_20240407_175939_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240407_175939_Samsung Internet.jpg (268.38 KiB) Viewed 462 times
demographic

Post by demographic »

demographic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:46 pm
I'm gad we talked.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tragic news :(

"A man has died after a crash between a motorbike and a car on the A4212 in Gwynedd."
"The collision occurred shortly after 11:00 BST on Saturday near Capel Celyn, Bala."

- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68756560
demographic

Post by demographic »

Potter wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:26 pm
It had collapsed into a small group of people who are all as poorly informed as each other and fumbling around in the dark.
Some appear desperate for attention and realise that they won't get it until they infect another thread with provocative politics to get a reaction.

If properly moderated they will be kept in the right place for that topic and prevented from dragging it across and ruining other threads.
Do you have any facts about the issue, ideally with links to show veracity? Or just unfounded opinions?
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:41 pm Do you have any facts about the issue, ideally with links to show veracity? Or just unfounded opinions?
I won't be drawn in, either in this thread or in the one dedicated to it, to discuss subjects with people that in my opinion fundamentally don't understand the subject. If you think you know the subject then fill your boots, do it in the dedicated thread and I will happily stay out of it and leave you to it.

I do not post in this section anymore and have only done so today to point out why I think it's toxic and has potential to slowly take the whole forum with it, and I'd prefer not to see that.
Last edited by Potter on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

You kind of have been drawn. You've specified one side and then stated why you don't agree with them.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:19 pm You kind of have been drawn. You've specified one side and then stated why you don't agree with them.
I disagree with a lot of things on there, after fifteen years of living in the Middle East I cringe when I read some of it.

Most of it is plopped on there by the Corbyn clones and the funny thing is on this subject I’m probably as left leaning as they think they are, they just don’t understand why, or half of what they’re posting.

But my point was about moderation and I’ve made that, so I have nothing more of value to add.

{flounces off to begin Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky), I thought I’d lost it but it was hiding behind another book}

Have fun.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:31 pm

*shrug*
What you've actually got here is just a few people that constantly post propaganda, mostly blindly, without understanding it, videos, cut & paste,or just simply posting very poorly informed opinions, etc. The Gaza thread is a car crash of ignorance, genuinely appalling to read some of it.
The moderation is sympathetic to this left wing bias so it gets allowed.

I've stopped posting in this section* so now I'm not really that bothered, but if you stopped it and made people stick to the threads about that very subject, like Weeksy actually suggested...
weeksy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:48 pm Don't we have an ongoing thread for this?
...then you'd be doing him a favour and leaving at least some threads free of the blind propaganda and people that still want to discuss the daily news can keep away from it. Because in this instance all you're doing is letting them infect every thread with it.

I don't use this section now, I wondered if I was part of the problem, it's been suggested that I was, so I haven't posted in this section in months to see, and it's still the same, it's a morbid magic roundabout.

*You are obviously entirely free to completely ignore this feedback, this section isn't for me anymore, I'm only posting now out of a genuine wish to not see the forum slow down to a death stop because of this stuff.
As always you have a wonderful solution .... Lovely. However, you're once again, completely wrong. Seeing all the answers from the outside is always really simple, however completely ignores the human element and dynamics. I could spend 45 mins tidying thread X or Y but then another thread goes off on a tangent. But that's part of forums, the off tangent threads... it's what makes them fun (generally)

In my opinion, we'd lose more members from not having this section than we lose from having it. No-one is riding bikes, it's winter, no-one is doing adventures, no-one is doing upgrades, build threads, changing bikes.... So what do we have instead ? Well, we have this ... This is the product of the membership. Anyone and everyone can easily change the dynamics and post threads about bikes, about fun things... but ... Well, it's not up to me to do it all. I post threads and new bikes from bikeexif even though i have 0 interest in them, i hope they'll spark a little bike related debate. I posts from WSB stuff, some MotoGP stuff despite the fact i have 0 interest in them. I don't actually have any interest in motorbikes, i could close this place today and the lack of motorbike stuff on the internet wouldn't change my life in the slightest.

But this place is more than that to me, it's more than a bike forum, more than i political thread here and there... it's MORE... And that's why it's still here. It's deffo not here because of the wonderful insight into motorcycling.