What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by mangocrazy »

Aside from the wind, it would be a perfect day to get out on the bike. Warm, sunny, blue skies with just a few fluffy clouds, but the wind kills it - it's gusty, fierce and would be a nightmare to ride in.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

cheb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:09 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 pm Blowing sideways here. I'm going nowhere by choice.

It's just touched F10 here. It's interesting trying walk about outside.
I finished A World of my Own this morning (the book Knox-Johnson wrote after he completed his solo circumnavigation) and he talks casually about F10 in the roaring forties and having all his warps out (and IIRC even the anchor at one point as a drogue) trying to slow himself down) and I don't fancy it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mowed the front and the verge, gave the back a whisk over with the strimmer. Nipped up a ladder and cleared the moss and silver birch twigs from a couple of gullies.

Played hunt-the-water-butt-connectors. Drew a blank but found lots of other bits and bobs that I was about to buy again like a can of yacht varnish, a roll of garden bags etc.

Spotted a Great Crested Newt (female) in the pond.

Wind's getting up a tad now but still reasonably pleasant.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

It's peaked at gusting 54kts for now and is dropping down a bit. I've been on the ferry in a F10, it gets a bit bouncy. Meals are eaten with care, one hand for the spoon and the other hand for the plate. Don't order the soup. Musical accompaniment is the sounds of smashing plates. I wouldn't want to be out in a small boat on the open ocean in it.

It's been interesting watching the wind flurries blasting spray across the sea loch.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Had an extended Turkish breakfast with an old friend from UK. She's staying in Içmeler for a week with her daughter, SiL and 5 grandchildren. We've been friends for 39 years but haven't met up for a few years although she was at my son's funeral (she'd buried her husband a couple of weeks before) but knew I had lots of people to speak to so didn't stay for the wake.

It was great to catch up - we've both had a lot going on in our lives the last couple of years and it was good to see that she's getting on with life although like myself is not back to 100%. I think she'll be back over later in the year.

Incidentally, she's the owner of the vehicle reg plate PA55 FFS that some of you thought was a fake. ;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

I’ve had a lazy day, sat in the library reading mostly.
I love those days where you have nowhere to go, no one waiting on you, no responsibilities and some space to be alone.

Pizza for dinner and now in bed at 7.22pm watching Downton Abby :)
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Back to de island. Although this time with four kids.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 318 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

At 10am I thought I was putting a final coat on my kitchen walls, an hour max.

Then I put two coats on, re-did some bits of the ceiling.

The wife pointed out that the pantry needed painting to match and the open area under the stairs.

I finished at 4ish.

I'm knackered. The wife loaded my car with crap to take to the tip, but it closed at four, so I've got that to look forward to tomogga.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Took my family to a so called gastro pub in norf Essex for her birthday dinner. It wasnt a gastro pub, it was a pub serving pub grub and not very well either. Ho hum. Nice afternoon regardless. :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:47 pm The wife loaded my car with crap to take to the tip
Seems like pretty good evidence she'd be capable of unloading it at the tip too :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:25 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:47 pm The wife loaded my car with crap to take to the tip
Seems like pretty good evidence she'd be capable of unloading it at the tip too :thumbup:
You'd think.

But the call of the shops was too strong.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Fitted a new gate latch (as the first replacement from Screwfix was shockingly poor quality), lifted some of the slabs of my new path to the aforementioned gate and added more sand (I ran out when I did it originally, and it was a smidge wobbly 😬), evicted several spiders in advance of the arachnophobe turning up, had a lovely curry with said arachnophobe and his wife (and Muz!), waved them off, and am now trying to decided whether to call it a night or stay up...
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Went for a late lunch on the coast the other side of the Solent, at Milford on Sea, then had a bit of a walk down Hurst Spit before heading to Beaulieau to watch a thing about Mary Sievier (google her).

Ran into Fern while we were there, haven't seen her for ages!
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

Driven around the islands at high tide, no bad flooding but some terrible sea spray coming over the causeways. Taken a few months of life off the van I suspect.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:03 pm Took my family to a so called gastro pub in norf Essex for her birthday dinner. It wasnt a gastro pub, it was a pub serving pub grub and not very well either. Ho hum. Nice afternoon regardless. :thumbup:
Where did you go bossman, anywhere near my manor?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

On Friday I drilled holes in the brickwork to accomodate wall plugs, inserted wall plugs and bolted the gutter support brackets to the wall, then fitted the gutter to the brackets. Yesterday I filled the gutter with soil (a 4 metre length took exactly 50 litres of compost) and watered it in. Today we went to the local garden centre/nursery and bought 15 strawberry plants, 10 Elsanta and 5 Cambridge Favourite. Then came home and potted out the strawberry plants into the gutter. The gutter (with lots of brackets to support the weight of the soil):

DSCF4131.JPG
DSCF4131.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 206 times

And the strawberry plants sitting in their new home:

DSCF4133.JPG
DSCF4133.JPG (805.81 KiB) Viewed 206 times

And I can already see a snail poised to attack the plants. It will be dealt with.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:03 pm Took my family to a so called gastro pub in norf Essex for her birthday dinner. It wasnt a gastro pub, it was a pub serving pub grub and not very well either. Ho hum. Nice afternoon regardless. :thumbup:
Not a million miles away, The Swan Inn at Chappell (Wakes Colne). Nice place and almost under the Chappel viaduct, but the food wasn't great. Plus they had run out of chardonnay and Pinot Grigio so the girlies weren't best pleased! :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:08 pm On Friday I drilled holes in the brickwork to accomodate wall plugs, inserted wall plugs and bolted the gutter support brackets to the wall, then fitted the gutter to the brackets. Yesterday I filled the gutter with soil (a 4 metre length took exactly 50 litres of compost) and watered it in. Today we went to the local garden centre/nursery and bought 15 strawberry plants, 10 Elsanta and 5 Cambridge Favourite. Then came home and potted out the strawberry plants into the gutter. The gutter (with lots of brackets to support the weight of the soil):

DSCF4131.JPG

And the strawberry plants sitting in their new home:

DSCF4133.JPG

And I can already see a snail poised to attack the plants. It will be dealt with.
Nice and straight and level! :thumbup:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Walked the hound, dodging (most) of the showers.

Dug out my ABBA stand, ordered fittings for it for the KTM.

(Also dug out a single-sided swing arm paddock stand that has been forgotten about, last used for the 1050 Speed Triple. Anybody want it? Shall be chucking it on Marketplace soon.)

Adjusted the catch on the wood burner door to stop it pinging every time it's opened (which took five minutes, including fetching the allan keys, it's been doing it for months 🤦).

Put up a picture.

Looked for a replacement back protector insert for my Rukka.

Ate an entire Easter egg. 👍
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:28 pm
v8-powered wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm
Not a million miles away, The Swan Inn at Chappell (Wakes Colne). Nice place and almost under the Chappel viaduct, but the food wasn't great. Plus they had run out of chardonnay and Pinot Grigio so the girlies weren't best pleased! :D
Fark. Hope they didn't run out of shandy ?