What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:43 am Btw… Pooh.

Poo is different.
He's a fucking shite!!

Anyhow, £55 later I'm up and running.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Took my friend and colleague's letter of resignation today, as he's decided to throw in the towel and head into retirement.

27 years we've worked together, during which time we've both got married (not to each other, obvs), became dads, lost family to cancer, been thrown out of drinking establishments, had a few professional disagreements and fuck knows what else in all that time.

I'll miss him, and I'm ever so slightly envious. :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Fastest ever cycle ride.
11 mph average. Normally 10 point something
The wind was favourable. Good job coz lost use of the big derailleur so only 3 gear ratios

Screenshot_20240405_160953_Komoot.jpg
Screenshot_20240405_160953_Komoot.jpg (768.03 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Screenshot_20240405_161917_Komoot.jpg
Screenshot_20240405_161917_Komoot.jpg (172.47 KiB) Viewed 408 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Three coats of white paint on a bare plaster ceiling, looks to have done the job, we'll see in the morning.

I also put a coat of the ceiling paint on the walls as a base coat and when that was dry a coat of the final colour, Almond White... which is covering a brownish shade, hence the base coat of the cheaper paint. It's still needs at least one more coat of the final colour.
Felix

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:39 pm Three coats of white paint on a bare plaster ceiling, looks to have done the job, we'll see in the morning.

I also put a coat of the ceiling paint on the walls as a base coat and when that was dry a coat of the final colour, Almond White... which is covering a brownish shade, hence the base coat of the cheaper paint. It's still needs at least one more coat of the final colour.
Lost the will to live after three on my bedroom ceiling as it was new when i moved in here. 17 years later its still patchy :lol:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Mist coat on bare plaster first is what you need. I appreciate it's way too late for this advice, but :D

Today I spent far too much on new glasses. I swear the mark-up on these things must be huge. :wtf:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:13 am 'What a very blustery day' remarked Poo to Piglet as they wandered through 100 Acre Woods.
'Perhaps we shall fly a kite', offered Piglet, hopefully.
As they exited the woods to the road, they saw Gremlin.
'Hello Gremlin!', exclaimed Poo excitedly, 'Would you like to join our blustery day party and fly a kite?'
'Not today', said Gremlin glumly, 'As I've picked up this fecking screw in my back tyre, and the blustery and pissy weather is further adding to my sense of fuck-fuckery. I've now got yo piss around getting to Swanley to get a repair, in the pissing rain and wind, when I should be at work'.
'Oh, come on' said Piglet, 'Turn that frown upside down'
Gremlin thought for a moment, then gave Piglet the heftiest boot he could muster, sending Piglet flying back into the woods. Poo, sensing his saccharine cheerfulness might mark him out for a good shoeing too, sensibly backed off into the woods, being careful not to mention the very blustery day again....
I was going to call bullshit on some of that but I checked and there is no rule against kite flying in 100 acre wood, therefore when I find it I shall go and fly my kite with Piglet and see if I can attract the ire of a park ranger.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sunny wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:27 pm Mist coat on bare plaster first is what you need. I appreciate it's way too late for this advice, but :D

Today I spent far too much on new glasses. I swear the mark-up on these things must be huge. :wtf:
JP Optician is your friend. Used their online service many times. Cheap, UK -based and reliable.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 pm
Sunny wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:27 pm Mist coat on bare plaster first is what you need. I appreciate it's way too late for this advice, but :D

JP Optician is your friend. Used their online service many times. Cheap, UK -based and reliable.
Any good with variofocals?
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 pm

Will check then out :thumbup:

Muz's have been ordered online for a while tbf, using glassesdirect IIRC. I find choosing glasses in real life easier, given my small face :D and I couldn't find these online any cheaper.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Last night I had a few beers at a colleague's leaving do, today I'm being reminded why I don't normally drink alcohol
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yup, or a 50/50 PVA water mix FTW! :thumbup:

My wife went for an eye test yesterday and said to me you wont be happy when you see how much you've just spent on my new glasses! :hmmm: As usual, she was right! :wtf:
Last edited by Taipan on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:15 am Last night I had a few beers at a colleague's leaving do, today I'm being reminded why I don't normally drink alcohol
Snap, was at a colleagues retirement do last night, ended up on Gin and Tonic and I'm feeling very secondhand this morning.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Renewed one of the bikes insurance and changed AA breakdown to cover both of them - wincing at the cost having moved house but all done.
Chopped down some more pyrocantha -
Was going to drop the lower bodywork on the CBR as I can hear a slight rattle but as feeling “secondhand” due to the breadknife having her mates round for her birthday drinky poos I’ll give it a miss
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sun's out. Going to play 'Hunt the Mower' in the garage...
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Blowing sideways here. I'm going nowhere by choice.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

One of the mates coming round tonight is a genuine arachnophobe, and we live in an old house, so a substantial amount of the last couple of hours has been spent hunting out and removing spiders and spiders' webs. 🕷️

Guaranteed he'll still spot one 😬
cheb

Post by cheb »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 pm Blowing sideways here. I'm going nowhere by choice.

It's just touched F10 here. It's interesting trying walk about outside.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Did a repair to the log rolls at the back of the garden, need some hanging pots now to get planted up to cover up the “temporary” repair!
Painted the fences on one side and at the back, half way through the long run down the middle but run out of fence stuff so stopped, glass of wine in the garden now with Absolute classic rock on the speaker, bit breezy but warm so im staying put for a bit!
Shame about the wind, I was looking forward to a ride later, maybe tomorrow.
Mick.
Skub

Post by Skub »

cheb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:09 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:51 pm Blowing sideways here. I'm going nowhere by choice.

It's just touched F10 here. It's interesting trying walk about outside.
My neighbour's fence is disassembling,so I've been out in an attempt to limit the damage until things calm down. The fence feels alive in my hands,if it gets free,it'll never be seen again!

It is nice and warm out of the wind,though.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955