Yamaha MT09SP

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Dodgy69

Re: Yamaha MT09SP

Post by Dodgy69 »

tricol wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:42 am Thought I'd update this as it's been a few months and the recent new MT thread got me thinking. Pembrey was great, obviously, and I travelled with a nice new Kriega US20 seat bag. Did the job really well, easy to fit through the rear sub frame. That combined with the R20 backpack gave me plenty of space for a weekend away. Also fitted the OEM tail tidy. Wasn't too bad to fit overall, apart from the spring that keeps the key cover closed. A right PITA. The new tail tidy then needed a new plate, so off I went to Paddock. They sorted me with a new one, get home, holes aren't level. So, the whole thing looks a bit lob sided. I'll sort it again when I can be arsed.

Not much has happened since then, few days out here and there. Mileage is sitting at about 2800, much less than I'd hoped for this year. No issues at all with the bike, hasn't missed a beat. The tyres are looking like they will need replaced soon, so will I stick with the S22, or go to the new Road 6? The new model being released brought to light the high bar position. After much grumbling to myself and a bit of time spent on finding a solution, a set of Gilles Tooling risers have been purchased. So waiting for them to arrive and hopefully they will help with that riding position.

Now to start thinking about what happens on it next year. A few more trackdays, and maybe a short tour somewhere in the summer.
Can't the stock bars be adjusted. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
tricol

Post by tricol »

Yes, but it puts the bars slightly higher (4mm) and forward (10mm). It's done by turning the stock risers 180deg. These risers replace the stock ones, can sit up to 24mm lower and about 15mm further forward.
Yamaha MT09 SP
tricol

Post by tricol »

As posted in the other thread, I managed to get out to try my new risers. Pleased to report I can definitely feel the difference. It's not dramatic, but enough. I also rotated the bars forward slightly, just to make the levers at a better angle. So I'm pretty pleased with the results. One very slight concern is the bend in the brake line from the master cylinder. It's not kinked, far from it, but at a tighter bend than before. The scrapes on the screen aren't noticeable really when riding thankfully, but it still bugs me. Shame I didn't have more time, I'd have gone out for a longer ride. There won't be many more decent days left now until Spring. Only 2850 miles on the clock so far. Nothing else planned now other than new tyres for next season, but I'll deal with that when they need changed.

ImageIMG_0313edit by colinsphotos26, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0318edit by colinsphotos26, on Flickr
Yamaha MT09 SP
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's amazing the difference a little 'fit me' tweak can make. It allows you just to ride and enjoy,rather than be constantly reminded of something not quite right.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
tricol

Post by tricol »

Skub wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:42 pm It's amazing the difference a little 'fit me' tweak can make. It allows you just to ride and enjoy,rather than be constantly reminded of something not quite right.
Exactly. It didn't make it a bad riding position, just never quite right for me. Now it seems to be fixed.
Yamaha MT09 SP
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Looks better too.

Take it there's no issue with tank clearance? I really don't understand why the risers on this gen were so tall...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:35 pm I really don't understand why the risers on this gen were so tall...
So they'd fit my Aprilia Falco bar conversion perfectly... :D

DSC_5987.JPG
DSC_5987.JPG (733.7 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
tricol

Post by tricol »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:35 pm Looks better too.

Take it there's no issue with tank clearance? I really don't understand why the risers on this gen were so tall...
No, still have about 20mm on full lock each side so plenty of clearance.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I turned my stock risers around today, not a massive difference. Looking at getting some flatter bars now but tank clearance could be an issue. We will see. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
tricol

Post by tricol »

Sorry it's been a while. Nothing much to report, I've done the grand some of about 100 miles this year. Fitted a speedo angels dash protector as I'd sorted the scratches on it and wanted to protect it. It's crap. Might get rid.

Not really feeling it, maybe it's the weather, maybe I'm bored.

It's going in for its first big service in a couple of weeks. Needs a new rear tyre and I'm getting heated grips fitted. Not sure why as I've not much desire for it at the moment. We'll see how it goes.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Skub

Post by Skub »

tricol wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 am Sorry it's been a while. Nothing much to report, I've done the grand some of about 100 miles this year. Fitted a speedo angels dash protector as I'd sorted the scratches on it and wanted to protect it. It's crap. Might get rid.

Not really feeling it, maybe it's the weather, maybe I'm bored.

It's going in for its first big service in a couple of weeks. Needs a new rear tyre and I'm getting heated grips fitted. Not sure why as I've not much desire for it at the moment. We'll see how it goes.
The weather has been a tad...uninspiring for sure.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

tricol wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 am Fitted a speedo angels dash protector as I'd sorted the scratches on it and wanted to protect it. It's crap. Might get rid.
I was about to fit one to my GSXS, what's up with it?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:02 am The weather has been a tad...uninspiring for sure.
Gotta admit the weather is affecting my mojo. To the point whereas normally I'm chomping at the bit to get out, I've just not been bothered. Think the worm is turning though as yesterday I was thinking I just need to start getting out rain or not. Not talking of heading out into a monsoon, but if there's a chance of showers just lump it. I think this is partly after my brother was in a work (council) meeting on climate change and the Met Office are predicting a wetter than usual summer...again!
tricol

Post by tricol »

That's inevitable, given we've had the wettest 18 months on record. It's only going to get worse year on year now. Wet and mild. If this summer is a washout the bike is going and I'll get something cheap that I don't mind riding in bad weather.
Yamaha MT09 SP
tricol

Post by tricol »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:07 pm
tricol wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 am Fitted a speedo angels dash protector as I'd sorted the scratches on it and wanted to protect it. It's crap. Might get rid.
Air bubbles and not sticking around the edges. Followed the instructions to a tee and the screen was spotless before I fitted it.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

tricol wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:31 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:07 pm
Air bubbles and not sticking around the edges. Followed the instructions to a tee and the screen was spotless before I fitted it.
Ta. Ok will give it a go but worse case I'm no worse off I guess. Was doing it as a precaution more than anything
tricol

Post by tricol »

It's fine in that case, just doesn't look tidy for me. They generally come as a pack of two per screen, so you have a second chance to get it right.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:14 pm

Gotta admit the weather is affecting my mojo. To the point whereas normally I'm chomping at the bit to get out, I've just not been bothered. Think the worm is turning though as yesterday I was thinking I just need to start getting out rain or not. Not talking of heading out into a monsoon, but if there's a chance of showers just lump it. I think this is partly after my brother was in a work (council) meeting on climate change and the Met Office are predicting a wetter than usual summer...again!
I've always been one to embrace the weather,but it's hardly stopped raining since last June & it seems to be getting to people :thumbdown: .
Up the road in Preston they had record rainfall last summer,usually when we get lots of rain things balance out with a dry spell,not this time,It's been raining since last June :wtf: ..
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If we're getting non-stop rain it's a solid bet that some poor fuckers are suffering endless drought. It's the pleasure/pain principle applied to weather. I'm assuming in all this that rainfall globally is a zero sum game (or close to it), of course. Happy to be corrected.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've been trying to come up with ideas to embrace the rain, make friends with it....I'm having some difficulty. 🤔

The only thing I can come up with is, we don't get that 40+° hell. 🔥🔥🔥
Yamaha rocket 3