What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

A spot of 'fusion' cookery. :D

Well, knocked up a vat of my 'Cottage Bolognese' - basically my mix for Cottage/Shepherd's pie. I used to do a double amount and half was turned into a pie with mash+cheese on and half was eaten with spaghetti. Gave up with the pie and this will get served up with wholewheat spaghetti, tenderstem broccoli and roast/chargrilled Mediterranean veg. Made enough for 6 portions, some will go in the freezer.

(In the process realised, again, how pleased I am with the Lakeland 'santoku' knife I bought ages ago. Didn't cost the earth, nicely made and v versatile. :thumbup: ).

Took delivery of a boot bench and a :wtf: priced Robert Welch 'toilet butler' - basically a free standing bog roll holder. Guaranteed for 25 years. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:56 pm A spot of 'fusion' cookery. :D

Well, knocked up a vat of my 'Cottage Bolognese' - basically my mix for Cottage/Shepherd's pie.

I often make an adobe hacienda pie. Similar idea.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I also make batches of Ragu and Chilli con Carne that would make half a dozen meals and freeze the ones left over for when we need something quick and neither of us feel like cooking. With the Ragu I tend to set aside about one serving, put it in the food processor and blitz it, then add tomato puree and green pesto and use the resulting gloop as pizza base topping.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Should probably be in the cookery section but never mind - I discovered M&S frozen sofrito mix (it's basically very finely chopped veg) and a couple of desertspoons of that fried off at the beginning gets lots of things going and tends to cook down and thicken things up a bit.

I like 'adobe hacienda' pie. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I ran for a train after a few beers, sod's law I got the right platform but the wrong train and the next quickest one is cancelled. I should still have ten minutes to make my connection but I hate leaving things late where trains are concerned, I wish the train company thought the same way after my delay repay claim this morning.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Last full day in the uk. Lovely lunch, somewhat stressful dinner.

Hey ho, some family are best left at a distance!!

Up very early tomorrow as my SDad is driving me to Bournemouth to get a bus to Heathrow. As I’ll get there very early, my brother is coming to meet me for a coffee!!

That’ll be all the immediate family seen and some friends I’ve not seen for bloody years!

But next time I’m going to book a room in a relatively central place and tell that if they want to see me, that’s where I’ll be! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

This evening..

What I meant do:
Check the PowerBall Lottery website to see if some rat bastard won tonight's $1.09Billion jackpot (they didn't, $1.23Billion for Saturday)

What I actually did:
Walked to the kitchen, grabbed a glass from the freezer & poured myself a generous shot of Costco Spiced Rum... THEN remembered what I meant to do..
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Got up stupid early. Arrived at Bournemouth bus station at 7:05. My coach was 7:30, but there was a National express coach there that said London, but a different number

Amazing how much stress it was!! I knew it wasn’t my bus and I had loads of time to get a coffee across the road and be back for my bus. But I was ridiculously happy when o walked back and the coach driver said “Gatwick?” Nope, Heathrow, he said oh that’s the next one on that stand

I do so hate travelling, well, more so hate travelling alone. Even when I know I have all the info and am in the right place, I stress so much until I have bum in seat!!

Oh, and the ‘ticket’ that I have on my phone has a charge for a seat reserved, but no seat number. So, to save hassle, I just took an empty seat (the front three have reserved signs on). Now I’m ‘chilling on the bus, I’ve gone into deleted mails and found the seat number!! (Not gonna move unless someone needs me to!!). But, wtf don’t they put the seat number on the ticket you have on the app? Stupid sods!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got back from a couple of days away in Henley on Thames. Nice place but more traffic than central London! :crazy: Flood alert was in full effect as The Isis was very swollen to say the least!

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Today I have decided that I now identify as being 6'3" tall. I was 5'9" but as of today I am a tall person.

I want you all to accept the new me and not to 'dead height' me by calling me of average height. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Is it because you were under height for your weight?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Scrubbed in the new tyres on the Zed. It's now ready to play.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:43 pm Is it because you were under height for your weight?
You mock my transition, but it's been a traumatic, yet fulfilling journey. I've had to live as 6'3" for a year, deliberately banging my head on things, talking to midgets and having to wear Glam Rock platform boots.

And, thank you for asking, I'm now perfectly in proportion for a 6'3" geezer. :thumbup:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:35 pm Today I have decided that I now identify as being 6'3" tall. I was 5'9" but as of today I am a tall person.

I want you all to accept the new me and not to 'dead height' me by calling me of average height. :thumbup:
I live with a family of midgets (wife - 5'3", step-daughter - 5" if she's lucky, step-son - 5' 8") but apparently I'm a freak and a giant at 6' 1"? Don't know how you'll cope with your growth spurt.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:42 pm Don't know how you'll cope with your growth spurt.
I'm now in the body I've felt I've always been destined to.

Best thing is, I haven't had to buy any new clobber. All my 31" leg length trousers still fit me.

Wonder if I need to add the fact of my transition to my work email footer in order that I can bring my whole self to work....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Travelled home. It’s mad being in the uk without a car. I left Weymouth at 6am and got home at 21:15 - travelling time 16.25 hrs (or is it 15.25 - feels like 24!)

If I had a car and had driven here from Weymouth it would have taken approx 14hrs!! Probably less depending on time of travel!!

Ok, it would have cost a bit more but much nicer having the option to stop, walk about, not sit in the bastard airport for 3 hours before checkin!!! Although a mate got me upgraded and I could check in early and go sit in a posh lounge with free food 😇😇 - I’d still prefer to drive!!!

It’s not proper cold here but it’s dry, the window is open and I’m not cold :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

9 hours driving to and from the oldies place for a 3 hour visit, time for a beer
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Up to take prayers in the church. Then a Baptism visit for a lovely young lass with her child. Both to be Baptised. Then off to take Holy Communion to a couple who could not make the Easter services. Then a funeral visit and pastoral visit. PCC Meeting this evening to ensure that the various Budgets were set and accounts were ready for the new financial year. All clear!! Just waiting for my son to finish taking a friend of his home (he is out visiting and friend has a migraine, so he is getting him medicine and walking him home before taking train home). Had slice of cake with the wife, she baked a lemon semolina cake yesterday, so very nice with a bit of Greek yoghurt and blueberries. Burp. About to take the recycling and garden waste bins out as they will be collected tomorrow morning early, and that is my day off, so I don't want to get up before 6.30am to drag the bins out!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

'What a very blustery day' remarked Poo to Piglet as they wandered through 100 Acre Woods.
'Perhaps we shall fly a kite', offered Piglet, hopefully.
As they exited the woods to the road, they saw Gremlin.
'Hello Gremlin!', exclaimed Poo excitedly, 'Would you like to join our blustery day party and fly a kite?'
'Not today', said Gremlin glumly, 'As I've picked up this fecking screw in my back tyre, and the blustery and pissy weather is further adding to my sense of fuck-fuckery. I've now got yo piss around getting to Swanley to get a repair, in the pissing rain and wind, when I should be at work'.
'Oh, come on' said Piglet, 'Turn that frown upside down'
Gremlin thought for a moment, then gave Piglet the heftiest boot he could muster, sending Piglet flying back into the woods. Poo, sensing his saccharine cheerfulness might mark him out for a good shoeing too, sensibly backed off into the woods, being careful not to mention the very blustery day again....
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Btw… Pooh.

Poo is different.