This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Bwana

Re: This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Post by Bwana »

Buckaroo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am Fair point, however: you see evidence of how even a small amount of power over others can turn even the most level headed to become less than agreeable and prone to misuse of their power. Even small kids do this. It's part of our make up.
Add this to those that desire total power of a business or government and it's not hard to see why we get what we get. Even the big religions get dizzy with power and use it for all the wrong reasons. As a species we're good and messing things up, even those that could have merit.
I don't believe everyone is susceptible to this pathology. I can point to my father as an example. He was superintendent of a mental health facility. Open door policy with all members of staff - they were welcome in his office to air any troubles they may have. I never heard him utter a negative comment about anyone and he was always there to help anyone that crossed his path.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden regaled the media with the story of how he took a train across the bridge that was demolished by the container ship... It was never a rail bridge.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Bwana wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 am
Buckaroo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:08 am Fair point, however: you see evidence of how even a small amount of power over others can turn even the most level headed to become less than agreeable and prone to misuse of their power. Even small kids do this. It's part of our make up.
Add this to those that desire total power of a business or government and it's not hard to see why we get what we get. Even the big religions get dizzy with power and use it for all the wrong reasons. As a species we're good and messing things up, even those that could have merit.
I don't believe everyone is susceptible to this pathology. I can point to my father as an example. He was superintendent of a mental health facility. Open door policy with all members of staff - they were welcome in his office to air any troubles they may have. I never heard him utter a negative comment about anyone and he was always there to help anyone that crossed his path.
You are correct, of course. It wasn't intended as a sweeping statement. There are good people who use their power, position or influence for the better. Sadly we remember the bad ones more.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am Biden regaled the media with the story of how he took a train across the bridge that was demolished by the container ship... It was never a rail bridge.
I guess his is the ultimate job of power and prestige, but by fuck his family should take him away from it. Its not just the clips, its his actual speeches that show he isn't mentally fit for the job. It isn't funny any more and hasn't been for a while now.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am Biden regaled the media with the story of how he took a train across the bridge that was demolished by the container ship... It was never a rail bridge.
One of the lamer exanmples of his mishaps I have to say.

Anyone over the age of 50 should be discouraged from anecdotes because (one or more of):
- they heard it before
- they weren't listening in the first place you boring old fool, as you trudge off on an uninterruptible waterfall of nostalgic tosh
- you got the place right, but the events wrong
- you got the event right, but the place wrong
- it just never happened, you adopted some story someone told you somehow and now it's yours
- it happened exactly as you say, but everyone younger than you knows best, and because of countless prior examples of all of the above

With Biden and Trump, we're just waiting for the next silly faux-pas to pounce on so that we can forensically rip it to shreds.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am Anyone over the age of 50 should be discouraged from anecdotes because (one or more of):
- they heard it before
- they weren't listening in the first place you boring old fool, as you trudge off on an uninterruptible waterfall of nostalgic tosh
- it just never happened, you adopted some story someone told you somehow and now it's yours
- it happened exactly as you say, but everyone younger than you knows best, and because of countless prior examples of all of the above
Well that's my posts per day average going south very swiftly :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am Anyone over the age of 50 should be discouraged from anecdotes because (one or more of):
- they heard it before
And mine. :silent:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I find that once you get past a certain age you're generally ignored unless they get stuck on something and the old fart may know!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am I guess his is the ultimate job of power and prestige, but by fuck his family should take him away from it. Its not just the clips, its his actual speeches that show he isn't mentally fit for the job. It isn't funny any more and hasn't been for a while now.
His missus gave a speech yesterday & sounded like Bernadette from Big Bang Theory.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm
- they heard it before
And mine. :silent:
Likewise.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Actually, the story is true.

irie

Post by irie »

Bwana wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am
Actually, the story is true.

Is Biden that old? :shock:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:48 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 am Seditious conspiracy
Main article: Planning of the January 6 United States Capitol attack
On March 2, 2022, Oath Keeper Joshua James pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy, admitting in his plea that "from November 2020 through January 2021, he conspired with other Oath Keeper members and affiliates to use force to prevent, hinder and delay the execution of the laws of the United States governing the transfer of presidential power."[100][101] Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, also of the Oath Keepers, were found guilty of seditious conspiracy on November 29, 2022.[102] Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years and Meggs to 12 years.[103]
On June 6, 2022, five members of the Proud Boys—their leader Enrique Tarrio, together with Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, Ethan Nordean and Dominic Pezzola—were indicted for seditious conspiracy.[104] On May 4, 2023, all but Pezzola were convicted. A few months later, they were sentenced. Pezzola was sentenced on September 1, 2023.[105]
List of Proud Boys and Oath Keepers members sentenced for seditious conspiracy[106][107][108][109][110]
Defendant Age Affiliation Residency Plead Recommended sentence Prison sentence
Enrique Tarrio 38 Proud Boys Miami, FL Not guilty 33 years 22 years
Joseph Biggs 38 Ormond Beach, FL 33 years 17 years
Zachary Rehl 36 Philadelphia, PA 30 years 15 years
Ethan Nordean 31 Auburn, WA 27 years 18 years
Dominic Pezzola 45 Rochester, NY 20 years 10 years
Stewart Rhodes 56 Oath Keepers Granbury, TX 25 years 18 years
Kelly Meggs 54 Dunnellon, FL 21 years 12 years
Odd, still can't see "insurrection" in your post. Are you having issues finding anyone convicted of the crime the media keep talking about?
I ran across something the other day that may interest you. District Judge Francis Matthew ruled that Otero County commissioner Couy Griffin is ineligible for that office due to participating in the J6 insurrection. Using the following link, scroll down to case documents. Open the PDF - read the whole thing for the meat of the discussion or just scroll down to page 30 and read the first paragraph.
https://www.cohenmilstein.com/case-stud ... itigation/
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If ever a country needed a bit of Trump power, it's poor old blighty. 800 this weekend. 🤦‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:24 pm If ever a country needed a bit of Trump power, it's poor old blighty. 800 this weekend. 🤦‍♂️
Is that dingy crossings?

Must admit I'm far less bothered by them than the 750k people coming here legally. The boats seem a convenient 'Will you look at that!' whilst the government imports a significant sized city population each year. They wail about needing skilled workers whilst failing to train/teach their own population.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd imagine the one's crossing Europe claim asylum in every country they get stopped in, until they finally make it to Northern France.

They also say that without the French preventing crossing we would have many more arriving on boats. Without evidence of coarse.

I'd also imagine there are beaches which are hotshots, shorter, quiet beaches. Surely it can't be that hard to police these areas. It's a mess alright and no political party will ever get it sorted.

Alternative thinking required. I'll shut up now. 😉👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Let's be honest, if you really had just the goal of stopping the crossings and didn't give a toss it'd probably be achieved in a couple of days. Might not look pretty on the news though. The minefields might spoil a bank holiday trip to the Kent coast too.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Some daft fucker just torched themselves outside the Trump trial courthouse.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

So this pillock threw leaflets all over the place before he lit off.... in front of the worlds press... & NOT ONE of them has any idea what the leaflets said...

uh huh...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:55 pm Let's be honest, if you really had just the goal of stopping the crossings and didn't give a toss it'd probably be achieved in a couple of days. Might not look pretty on the news though. The minefields might spoil a bank holiday trip to the Kent coast too.
Long long ago, on a previous place, when this problem was just starting, I uggested that the way to stop the traffic would be to machine gun the next few inflatables. I was of course howled down for suggesting The Navy should callously kill 20 or 30 people.

If they had done so....

We wouldn't have a problem now.
The total death toll would probably be about 1/2 of what it is today.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!