In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
mangocrazy

Re: In todays news...

Post by mangocrazy »

We truly live in a fucked up world. The fact that it's only law in Scotchland at present is nothing to get comfortable about. Idiocy like this spreads quickly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's such a poorly thought through, badly drafted and bizarre piece of legislation you have to wonder what the SNP is thinking. Is it a squirrel!!? ie something to distract from all the other problems and failures eg drug use levels, the failing education and health systems etc etc. They'd rather have people focusing on this than anything to do with reality?

It's hardly a mega-vote winner anyway. I'd say that the SNP is toast come the next election. Labour and the Lib Dems must be delighted!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 am It's such a poorly thought through, badly drafted and bizarre piece of legislation you have to wonder what the SNP is thinking. Is it a squirrel!!? ie something to distract from all the other problems and failures eg drug use levels, the failing education and health systems etc etc. They'd rather have people focusing on this than anything to do with reality?

It's hardly a mega-vote winner anyway. I'd say that the SNP is toast come the next election. Labour and the Lib Dems must be delighted!
iNews wrote: Labour would not repeal new hate crime laws introduced in Scotland despite concerns about how they are enacted.

Scottish Labour, which voted to amend the legislation before ultimately supporting it, would change the law to include misogyny.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

irie wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:15 am
iNews wrote: Labour would not repeal new hate crime laws introduced in Scotland despite concerns about how they are enacted.

Scottish Labour, which voted to amend the legislation before ultimately supporting it, would change the law to include misogyny.
In the interest of fairness and equality, they should also include misandry.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Well, they missed a trick too. They should have, at worst, abstained, pointed out how badly thought through it was and promised to rewrite it/tear it up. It's unworkable and totally open to abuse.

Mind you, our glorious leaders are doing something similarly :roll: with this business about 'undermining our democracy'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

The beginnings of a police state where you can dob in anyone who offends you.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/contact- ... g-centres/
Third Party Reporting Centres

You can find your local Hate Crime Third Party Reporting Centre in the relevant document for your area below.

Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire and Moray
Ayrshire
Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross
Highlands and Islands
Fife
Forth Valley
Edinburgh
Lothian and Borders
Greater Glasgow
Lanarkshire
Argyll & Bute and West Dunbartonshire
Renfrewshire and Inverclyde
Dumfries and Galloway
Cambridge Dictionary wrote: to secretly tell someone in authority that someone else has done something wrong ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:12 pm We truly live in a fucked up world. The fact that it's only law in Scotchland at present is nothing to get comfortable about. Idiocy like this spreads quickly.
Not to England or Wales because, as posted earlier, the right * was in 2020 upheld by the Court of Appeal (jurisdiction: England and Wales, but not Scotland).

I have a daughter living in Scotland so theoretically when visiting I could get nicked for saying something someone objected to but be able to get over the border to England and thus escape retribution. :lol:
* wrote: Presiding over a Court of Appeal case concerning the misgendering of a trans woman on Twitter, Lord Justice Bean and Mr Justice Warby ruled that “free speech encompasses the right to offend, and indeed to abuse another”, adding: “Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having”.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

The Jockanese are the authors of their own misfortune.

Having said that, the other political parties must have been fuckin' abyssmal to allow the SNP to get elected.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:58 am

I complained to the police about this as they invite complaints about one but not the other. To be fair to the PC who answered he or she looked up the meaning of misandry before ignoring the sexist behaviour of the police, just a shame they didn't look up the meaning of misogyny as they got it completely wrong.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yambo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:30 pm The Jockanese are the authors of their own misfortune.

Having said that, the other political parties must have been fuckin' abyssmal to allow the SNP to get elected.
I blame Alex Salmond and his freedom fighters. After he pissed off Nicola with the cock Sturgeon just had to bang the same drum and they all came a calling. I dont think Humza Yousaf has the same support but we have to suffer this shit for a while yet.
Felix

Post by Felix »

cheb

Post by cheb »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:58 am

As long as they don't include misanthropy I reckon I'll be safe.
cheb

Post by cheb »

And that sudden crime wave will encourage them further. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!!
irie

Post by irie »

cheb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:52 pm
And that sudden crime wave will encourage them further. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!!
From the above link.
Community Safety Minister Siobhian Brown said people were making "fake and vexatious complaints".
Can't imagine why people are making "fake and vexatious complaints" :flame:

Or maybe I can. :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

More on Califailures Liberal/Democrat/Evironmentalist cascading clusterfuck
https://www.siskiyou.news/2024/04/03/kl ... -or-alive/
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am The beginnings of a police state where you can dob in anyone who offends you.
Give or take a few decades, this is an option in the uk ...

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/

Independent UK charity taking crime information anonymously.

Your report is sent to the relevant authority with the legal responsibility to investigate crimes, make arrests and charge people in order to bring them to justice. This could be your local police force or an agency such as the UK Border Agency or HM Revenue & Customs.

In over 35 years, our guarantee of anonymity has never been broken. You can fill in our easy online form, or speak to a member of our team on the phone.

Call us anonymously any time, day or night, any day of the year, on 0800 555 111.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Horse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:55 pm

I think the sort of crimes have changed. I may be wrong of course.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The worry with vague wording is interpretation will change and people will be prosecuted for things never intended by law makers.
I think this is how the SNP want it and hope vague wording will give them deniability.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm

I think the sort of crimes have changed. I may be wrong of course.
You're correct that the fuss is about new offences.

However, it's opportunity for 'dobbing in' if 'offended'. < That doesn't mean an offence has been committed. The actual crime is irrelevant.

If Crimestoppers wasn't effective, it might not still exist after 35 years. I'm sure, as well as reports of real or suspected crimes, they also get people settling scores, or who have been offended.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

irie wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am The beginnings of a police state where you can dob in anyone who offends you.

Your report is sent to the relevant authority with the legal responsibility to investigate crimes, make arrests and charge people in order to bring them to justice. This could be your local police force or an agency such as the UK Border Agency or HM Revenue & Customs.

In over 35 years, our guarantee of anonymity has never been broken. You can fill in our easy online form, or speak to a member of our team on the phone.

Call us anonymously any time, day or night, any day of the year, on 0800 555 111.
We have a similar deal in the US, but the rigamarole, palaver & general ballache of trying to report something far exceeded my tolerance.