ACC; needed?

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

ACC; needed?

Post by Horse »

Only £500/£700 for this option.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... echnology/

On the radar: How Battle of Britain technology is appearing on 2021’s motorcycles
Published: 12 November 2020

The system emits a fan-shaped signal of high-frequency radio waves and senses their reflectionsThe system emits a fan-shaped signal of high-frequency radio waves and senses their reflections

Acronyms have long been a familiar way for bike firms to crow about tech but long before terms like SRAD or DCT became familiar on two wheels the term RADAR – RAdio Direction And Ranging – had been coined.

Dating back to the 1930s and famously used by the RAF to fend off the Luftwaffe, radar’s use has spread from the military to civilian world and now is finding its way into vast numbers of cars and, from 2021, motorcycles.

Why? To let bikes fitted with the systems build a real-time picture of their surroundings, monitoring other vehicles in the vicinity and enabling technologies including Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and blind-spot monitoring.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taff

Re: ACC; needed?

Post by Taff »

needed - no
desirable to some - yes, but I suspect not for the majority.

I've got similar tech in the car (Volvo V40) and for driving on A roads where there is no posibility of overtaking I think it's great, for motorway driving I don't like the car slowing down, I'd much rather the Cruise kept me at a constant speed and I'll adjust lane as required. I've activated the emergency stop feature once which was a bit of an experience!!! The computer was a half second in front of me so when I stamped on the brake pedal it was already half way down to the floor :clap:

On the bike I think the need is different.
Riding on the same A roads I'm not held up by the traffic because I can keep overtaking so wouldn't be using cruise anyway. On the motorway, I'm not sure, maybe it would be useful to me, for someone that's routinely doing long motorway rides maybe more so, but how many people truly use bikes in this way?
I note that the emergency stop scenario is not in the article, that would be terrifying to have the bike going to 99% brakes on, unanounced, in a blink of an eye :shock:

so I suspect it'll be desirable for some, but not for most.
Horse

Post by Horse »

I wondered about the effects it might have mid-bend.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Horse wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:14 am I wondered about the effects it might have mid-bend.
if the car looses sight of the car in front mid bend it does tend to accelerate, sometimes quite sharply, but it is pretty easy to anticipate it happening. The article does say that as it's linked to the angle of dangle sensor it would not accelerate mid corner in that way.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Perhaps I'm too suspicious. I had a go (off-road) on a scooter with a radar-linked braking system. It would react to blades of grass poking through the concrete surface.

For some technical reason, the bloke who fitted the system had disabled the ABS. The first test ride, he ended up on the deck.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Horse wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 am Only £500/£700 for this option.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... echnology/

On the radar: How Battle of Britain technology is appearing on 2021’s motorcycles
Published: 12 November 2020

The system emits a fan-shaped signal of high-frequency radio waves and senses their reflectionsThe system emits a fan-shaped signal of high-frequency radio waves and senses their reflections

Acronyms have long been a familiar way for bike firms to crow about tech but long before terms like SRAD or DCT became familiar on two wheels the term RADAR – RAdio Direction And Ranging – had been coined.

Dating back to the 1930s and famously used by the RAF to fend off the Luftwaffe, radar’s use has spread from the military to civilian world and now is finding its way into vast numbers of cars and, from 2021, motorcycles.

Why? To let bikes fitted with the systems build a real-time picture of their surroundings, monitoring other vehicles in the vicinity and enabling technologies including Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and blind-spot monitoring.
Huff-Duff... ASDIC... :)

PS, covered it on Elevenses weeks ago. :shhh:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills